Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

from $64.00
from $129.00
from $89.00
8,960 results
All reviews flight deck aircraft carrier space shuttle uss growler concorde tour hangar deck star trek military history cold war british airways concorde fighter jets nuclear submarine flight simulator vietnam war on display interactive displays new york
Selected filters
Reviewed July 27, 2019

This visit started off badly when a young lady organising the lines was annoyed and loud when when we bypassed the six empty lanes for those who already had tickets, we did. Inside we were questioned by 3 different people why I took screenshots of my tickets and not produced the pdf. I learnt that lesson a LONG time ago and have entered scores of attractions across the USA and Europe. In the end the screenshots scanned perfectly well.

I note from other reviews the attempt of this non-profit organisation to squeeze every last cent out of you - I agree.

I have viewed other Shuttles and was looking forward to viewing the underside in particular which shows the effects of re-entry. The original tiles are black and each is numbered but those on the Enterprise are grey and without numbers - clearly fake.

Why oh why is the queue for the submarine in the open air with temperatures in the low nineties? We left when we saw a child in the queue faint from the heat.

We will NOT be back and urge you to think twice before you do so.

2  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed July 26, 2019

Being an Aviation nerd in NYC, this was a mandatory venue to visit. I have been to many aviation museums around the world, and this one is just as good as many others. What makes this aviation museum special is the Space Shuttle Enterprise perched on the aft deck of the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier. This takes a little to get your mind round.

The shuttle adds an exquisite dimension to the museum. That aside, the collection of military aircraft on the main deck is equally impressive.

The museum is attended by veterans who are obviously very proud of their association with the Intrepid. They are welcoming and a deep well of information and stories about the Intrepid, its service and the aircraft that make up the collection. The veterans add a human dimension to the museum that fills a human interest to the exhibits and provides a reminder of those who once served on the ship, and what life was like on-board.

The USS Growler submarine is also an interesting experience for those who have little knowledge or understanding of the trials of a submariner's life. The confined space and crude living arrangements are an excellent reminder for all on the sacrifices that submariners of all navies endure in the service of their countries - friendly or foe.

You will be not disappointed in spending half a day at this museum. If nothing else it will give you a perspective on the extent to which servicemen endured hardships and the edge of what could be achieved in the service of their country.

1  Thank World_Cup_Wanderer
Reviewed July 25, 2019

It is unbelievable that such aircraft carrier moored at NYC. It caries a lot of various interesting aircraft collection including space shuttle Enterprise, discontinued Concord and Blackbird Lockheed A-12. I also highly recommend to visit submarine Growler.

1  Thank dk1219
Reviewed July 21, 2019

Ever since I saw the Intrepid in the movie "I am Legend" and realised that such a museum existed in a pier on Manhatten I had prioritised a visit if I was ever to go to NY. Having visited a similar museum in the form of USS Hornet in San Francisco, the ship itself was less impressive than if I hadn't been on a similar class ship, but unlike the USS Hornet this museum has several aspects not replicated on the said ship, namely an ex-Navy Submarine, a Space Shuttle and an ex BA Concorde. We used the New York Pass to gain access. Entry and exit were through a very well-stocked gift shop selling various mementoes to suit most budgets. Initially, we viewed the Concorde which was the fastest that had flown between NY & London. Having been on a couple of Concordes before I didn't feel the desire to queue for the free tour inside, so made our way to the ship entry lift. Stairs were available too. We started at the flight deck and reviewed the various make/models of aircraft. These aircraft were generally not in great shape and appeared weathered, but if you really want to inspect aircraft I would recommend you visit an aircraft museum specifically. At the rear of the ship was the fairly new Pavillion containing the Enterprise Space Shuttle that I had last seen flying over London on the back of a modified NASA Jumbo Jet in 1983! For me this was a special aspect of the visit. After this, I inspected the interior decks which TBH held less of an interest. As we prepared to leave this coincided with a free demonstration of the deck lift which we really enjoyed in both participating in by riding it as well as the informative briefing provided the on-site staff. I didn't queue to visit the bridge or the Growler submarine, but I was too tired as it wasn't the first place I had visited that day, as such I would recommend you give yourself plenty of time to visit all aspects/parts of the museum.

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank Cheekycockney190757
Reviewed July 19, 2019

I took my husband as a treat, as he has loved military jets since being a child and the deck housed most of the key aircraft he drooled over as a child and teenager - F14, stealth bomber etc. However, the aircraft are quite badly maintained and having waited half a decade to see the stealth, it was in such poor condition and in need of a paint, we came away wishing we had gone to the Smithsonian near DC instead. The aircraft carrier itself was worth a visit, and the submarine made up for the rest of the exhibit (it was fascinating and really worth the look inside), but the aircraft were not up to scratch.

Date of experience: June 2019