“A must stop for any self confessed nerd”

The Evolution Store
Ranked #60 of 877 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The Evolution Store brings the wonders of the natural world to urban environments, enabling our customers to create meaningful, lasting connections with strange and beautiful objects, shared with them by curious people. Every day at Evolution begins and ends with progress. A landmark in Manhattan's SoHo art district from 1993-2016, and in Greenwich Village since, The Evolution Store is NYC's premiere retail destination for science and natural history collectibles, artifacts, gifts, and home furnishings. Our store offers a museum quality atmosphere creating a unique and intimate shopping experience.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

A friend recommended this stop and I could not get my science-obsessed 18 year old out of there! Prepare to be amazed if looking at actual human skeletons (including fetus and conjoined twins), preserved bugs and butterflies, stuffed deer heads and tiger rugs is your idea of a good time. On the tamer side they have beautiful geodes and ancient fossils, cool snake skeletons and all sorts of bones and related tchochkes (raccoon penis bone anyone?), LOTS of skull jewelry and unusual items like a $10 pair of earrings made of iridescent beetle wings. If you are into botanical prints, gorgeous posters from Germany.

All reviews
"nyc"
in 7 reviews
"collection"

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Recently visited NYC from the UK and popped into Evolution - I love this store and try and go whenever I visit the area. Although it's not going to be to everyones taste I find it mesmerising, intresting and intriguing and there's always something I would like to buy. The real framed butterflies are beautiful and there's some lovely jewellery. Although I wouldn't buy the taxidermy and skeletal pieces they are certainly interesting to look at. Prices range from a couple of dollars for a lollipopo with a bug inside to hundreds of dollars for rare and unusual pieces.

Reviewed December 23, 2009

I thought the store was pretty neat, but my wife and daughter were horrified by all the dead stuffed animals and trinkets made from dead animals. This is tacky and will no doubt offend many out there, such as the soft-hearted, PETA members and those who hate seeing this sort of yechy stuff. But, for the right person, it can be an interesting stop in SoHo.

1  Thank planktonrules
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I got a beautiful framed butterfly here last summer. I just visited their new website and they do custom framing for hundreds of butterflies. I know what I am giving for Christmas this year.