“think twice”

Russian & Turkish Baths
More attraction details
Owner description: Still offering the steam and sweat since 1892, these health spas are alive and well in New York where people get stretched, steamed and pounded as they relax and renew themselves.
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I visited the Russian and Turkish baths in East Village New York and came away disappointed.
I may be spoiled by some fantastic experiences of Hamams in Turkey and spa/sauna complexes in Berlin. It does have the 'clinical' decor of pipes and hoses and tiles and the Russian steam room is the highlight, but I recommend that before you part with close to $100 for the visit and a treatment you ask to see inside.
The disappointments?
- When I arrived there was no direction. I muddled my way through and asked other clients.
- The acrylic robe felt awful and was very heavy. (I prefered the soft light cotton of the hamam or a waffle robe.)
- the place smelled of sweat and felt dirty
- the place was very cramped and small
- there was nowhere to recline. People perched on the side of the ice bath in a sort of corridor to the saunas.
-the 'massage' was mediocre and the masseur asked what your tip would be at the end of the massage. People were talking about booking one person for the massage but having another person take over, (so if you have a preference insist on that person doing the massage.)
- there was nowhere to keep towels and robe dry.
- the hoses were broken in the massage cubicle I was in and there was also a shortage of towels when I was there. After the massage I was left on cold wet towels.

It was not, as I had imagined, a place to while away a few hours moving between saunas and recliners and refreshments. I only experienced the saunas and the relaxing massage so the other treatments might be better.

5  Thank Margot F

Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is not a luxury spa but it is a wonderful experience all the same. The steam rooms and saunas are hot, the chilled pool is ice cold and the employees are eager to help novices through the experience. After a serious day of sight seeing this is nirvana for tired limbs. Avoid the package with a mud rub, it is expensive and did do much for me.. Go for a massage and the steam rooms. Be brave: jump into the chilled pool after the sauna.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

This was a highlight of a quick trip to NYC. I never would have known about it if I weren't traveling with a former NYC resident. Next time I will bring my own flip flops and stay for lunch, and maybe even get the Platza Oak Leaf "treatment".

Be sure to get the mud mask or salt scrub (or both) at the front desk! A great value and true NY experience.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I went there last Thursday and I have a great time with my man. You must be open minded and just don´t expect a high class spa. But the experience is worth it, I had a mud treatment with Victor which I highly recommend it and my man took a Platza and after that he felt like new reborn. Don´t hesitate, go and enjoy it :)

1  Thank Paula A
Reviewed January 14, 2012

For a traditional experience it is nice, but place can get dirty with litter.