“Great Neighborhood - good value for money”

Days Inn Hotel New York City-Broadway
Ranked #434 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 17, 2013

i've been here for 3 days in june with a friend.
Pros:
- Great Location, really close to a major subway stop, just a few blocks away from central park and Dakota Apartments. the neighborhood (Upper West Side) is one of my NYC favorites since it is close to everything (mainly by subway, but you can stroll to Lincoln Centre & Columbus Circle) and without the chaos of more touristic areas in midtown. Great delis and cafes around too.
- Good value for money: room clean and spacious with respect to the average of NYC'hotels
- Free and working wifi in rooms
- The guys in the lobby were always professional and helpful (although we didn't have specific or particular needs) and kept our luggages for an extra 8 hours after we check out without any problem

Cons
- The structure needs a total refreshing, starting from the lobby and lifts to rooms moquettes etc. Everything looks like is 30 years old at least.
- Additional serivices are nonexistent except a really tiny gym and some pc's which you have to pay for

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank iuvas

Reviewed June 14, 2013

It's hard to get a Manhattan Hotel, but at $200 per night, I guess we were fortunate. Being close to the subway was convenient. We had a renovated room which, although small, was comfortable. No restaurant on the premises but they have a deal with the Europan Cafe (just across the road) for breakfast and the Manhattan Diner (just around the corner) had an extensive menu. Professional staff were helpful. I would try Brooklyn next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rose-marie S
Reviewed June 13, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
1  Thank Jinhee K
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Days Inn is a mixed hotel/lodge facility with character and a mix of staff attitudes. Location is exceptional with the subway around the corner and lots of places to eat. Note that there are older rooms and refurbished rooms which had an economical face lift. Factor in time to transit the lifts (very nostalgic). I would suggest that when you book a room pay the little extra for the refurbished rooms and on arrival check that the rooms are what you booked for committing to payment. In our case, we arrived late and were given refurbished 2 x double bed rooms rather than King Sofa Bed. We were moved to King Rooms the next morning (only one sofa bed left). Strange that our booked rooms were not available the night before or the next morning. Seems that the hotel releases rooms if you get in late so it pays to contact them early. I would return next time I visit NYC, a little wiser for my experience.

Room Tip: Request the new rooms. Make sure you get what you pay for by checking the room first. Hotel has a la...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kilowhiskey224
Reviewed June 11, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I traveled on wed May 29 to NYC, with the company owner. He had booked this piece of crap on line based on the price and people dishonest reviews. We get there and there is a guy outside (seemed upset and did not even greet us), we checked in and proceeded to go to the rooms. The first rooom was on the 3rd when the door opened you would think you were in a ash tray. Mine was on the 7th floor, first sign super dirty carpet with an inch of dust build up around the carpet. A strange man was rooming the halls which were like a maze and only had room for one person to walk since it was super narrow. I finally found my room and the strange man was still rooming the floor with his head down (very creepy, made me feel very unsafe). The ROOM, was dirty and smelled like smoke. The covers were old and did not look clean. Totally frantic I did not want to touch anything since the coffee table (that was like super old) had cob webs and mildew stains on the bottom. The owner made the call that we were checking out since it was TOTALLY NOT a safe and clean place to stay. Gave the feeling of a crack house, would NOT ever recommend anyone to even consider staying in this place. We chekced out and were asked why and staff seemed shocked and also stated that she puts us on smoking even thou reservation said non-smoking if she could move us to a non smoking, were like NO did you not hear us its dirty and unsafe.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS PLACE IS DIRTY AND NOT THE SAFEST. LOOK AT THE PICTURES THAT OTHER GUEST HAVE POSTED. DO RESEARCH AND STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. I TRULY BELEIVE THAT SOME OF THESE REVIEWS ARE FICTICIOUS.

MY RATING WOULD BE A ZERO OR BELOW

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank ticayami
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This review is a little late-- my boyfriend and I stayed for two weekend nights back in mid- April.
We read a lot of negative reviews and were, I admit, were starting to get a little worried. But here's the deal: it's fine. It's not great, it's not luxury, it's fine. It's a hotel. A Days Inn. In New York City. For less than $200/night (at least that's the rate we got). What do you expect? I've seen some of the pics posted by other reviewers; some of them are a little gross and off-putting. I am not denying that other travelers have had less pleasant experiences than we, but I can only comment on what we ourselves experienced:
-Room was clean and and we felt safe-- and no, we weren't in one of the renovated rooms, either. It was dated, but as I said, it was clean and safe.The most important things in a room, I think.
-Staff at the front desk was pleasant
-The room was small-ish, the elevator was small and kind of slow, so be warned. But it's an old building and these are norms for old buildings.
-The location is great-- you can walk to Central Park and the subway is just around the corner!
-It was not, by NYC standards, expensive. I would not go so far as to say it was cheap, but $200 in NYC is pretty damn good. $200 somewhere in a less expensive (and less desirable) city, may get you something far better, but not here.

Here's the gist: if you're expecting luxury, don't book here. If you're looking for an affordable way to stay in the city, it's worth a shot. We were happy with our stay, and I think as long as you're expectations aren't way out there, you may be too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple