“Good hotel and amazing location for the price”

Days Inn Hotel New York City-Broadway
Ranked #433 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 3, 2013

When I booked this hotel, I was a little more than skeptical as it was cheaper than some of the hostels in the area ($129/night). But I figured, it was a name-brand hotel on the Upper West Side three blocks from Central Park, so what could I lose? And boy am I glad I did.

The hotel lobby is old, but clean and established looking. There are a myriad of ways to get ot your room including at least two banks of elevators and a stairwell. There front desk staff were prompt and very nice. I also had to work with them over the phone prior to arriving because I accidentally double booked and they were equally nice in this instance.

The elevators on the right are a little rickety, so I would suggest taking the bank to the left by the Bell desk. Once you get to your floor, you will either be disappointed or plesantly surprised by the hallways. It seemed that some of the floors had gotten new paint and carpet while others had not yet. At least one of the floors with an ice machine had the new paint, so you can try requesting that. Another comment is that each floor is a confusing mess of hallways without a clear indication of where your room is, so it may take you a few minutes to find your room the first time. After that, though, you shoudl be fine.

Regarding the rooms, I was more than happy with how it turned out. Though I didn't have a great view (onto the roof of an adjacent building), it was clean and spacious. We also had problems with the hot water, but it turned out that they had the cold and hot lines swapped, so once we figured that out, it was fine. I also noticed that the doors and walls were thin as I was able to listen to my neighbors TV through the wall. The bed was fairly comfortable, even though I have back problems.

Perhaps the best thing about this hotel is the location. It is located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, three blocks from Central Park. Also convenient is that it is located two blocks from a subway station. Between walking and the subway, I didn't spend a dime on a taxi and was able to get all around New York. There are also some excellent eateries and stores in the area. This is much more of a locals area than a tourist area, so I would recommend walking around and exploring if you want to see what life is like on the UWS of New York.

Room Tip: Only 3 of the floors have an ice machine, so if this is important, be sure to get a room on or close...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 1, 2013

There are a number of issues with this hotel. When we first got to the hotel room, it smelled terrible and the lights flickered. The hot water was extremely limited on the first night, the hairdryer was broken, and there was a half-eaten granola bar at the snack bar. While they did provide shampoo, there was not any conditioner, and we were not given any washcloths or hand towels. When we asked for some, the housekeepers were very rude and told us that they were all currently in the laundry and would not be ready until 11 pm. When we called the manager to ask for a new hair dryer, he was very curt and hung up on us.

I will not stay at this hotel again, and would not recommend at all.

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in November.
Get room 1230, view to the Broadway..
Room clean, bathroom very nice but we didnt had hot water so they have to fix it , which they did immediately.
No breakfast, and you have to pay for internet and printing which should be included if they charge so much per night.
Also when we payed to use the pc and try to print out they just tell us sorry but the internet doesnt work at the moment.
We had a package delivered to the hotel a day later we left and asked to please send it to our address, they send it back instead of send it to me.
Overal nice room , unfriendly stuff, ok location, overpriced.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 16, 2012

There is no reason this hotel should be rated so low on TripAdvisor! We were originally booked at another value hotel, but it was located in the hectic Times Square and it had terrible reviews. It had about the same average rating as the Days, but we could tell from looking at pictures and talking with hotel workers while making reservations that this hotel was much better than the ratings let on.

We didn't expect a huge room for $95/per night and when we were upgraded to a king-size room we knew there would be even less, but considering the square footage of NYC apartments and the fact that we didn't go there to hang out in the room, my husband and I were totally fine with this.

Other budget hotels leave you hanging without towels, complimentary coffee, shampoo and soap--things that at regular hotel stays you'd expect as the minimum. This one doesn't and everything was completely clean in our room on the third floor.

We loved that they stored your bags so there's no need to pay for late check out if you have a late flight and it's located SO CLOSE to the red line that you can get anywhere in the city quickly.

Added pluses were the restaurants (Corner Cafe next door, in particular, had a great selection and is open 24 hours) and the drug stores next door. Since it's in a residential/retail area on the Upper West Side, it's the perfect location for travelers who want to live the New York life--not one of a full-on tourist. Amsterdam Avenue (one stop uptown on the subway) is great for finding reasonably priced restaurants that are locally owned and always have tables open on weekdays.

And I'd like to point out that we read a lot of complaints on TripAdvisor about the elevator being slow. Not that I think that's any reason to give a hotel a low score, but we either had a streak of luck or those giving the ratings were overly critical, because it was always there waiting for us in the lobby.

The only reason I didn't give this hotel five stars is because it was a budget hotel and doesn't exactly compare to some of the $2,000-per-night rooms throughout the city. But for the price, you can't beat it.

2  Thank TheFlyingPanda
Reviewed December 13, 2012

With steep NYC hotel rates, this is hotel is a steal. We staying in a renovated room on the 13th floor, which had a very modern, if slightly disco decor. The renovated bathroom was very clean and efficient. This hotel is literally a few steps away from the subway, making it is extremely convenient and quick to get anywhere in Manhattan. The residential neighborhood is friendly, not too crowded, with lots of restaurants in walking distance. The staff was very pleasant and answered all our questions. I will say that other floors we passed in the elevator did not appear to be renovated to the same level as ours.
My one complaint is that the hallway, and the 13th floor in general, was kept unbearably hot. In December I expect the heat to be on, but not a sauna. We had to put the air-conditioning on in our room during the day while we were out to keep it to a reasonable temperature.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms on the 13th floor.
1  Thank ugapril
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is not an upmarket or middle class hotel! the best thing about this hotel is the staff were friendly thats it!
checking in there where dirty towels in the bathroom and the room standard is extremely low!. thankfully the bedding was clean. bathroom makes you cringe. Was winter and no heating and a cold draft flowed through the window/AC unit. Window was sealed with duct tape. was an emergency booking and thankfully I only had to spend 1 night here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family