“The French Quarter is "fabuleux".”

The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #16 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“The French Quarter is "fabuleux".”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We picked the French Quarter based on Trip Advisor ratings, reviews and location and as always, Trip Advisor did not disappoint. When we first arrived, I was a little concerned as we entered the building, the narrow, long hallway to a small front desk. But, does THAT matter? Torrey greeted us and escorted us to our room (#205) and informed us of all the ammenities available.

The room was very comfortable for two of us, with a big, King size bed with wonderful linens. The bed was also very comfortable, not too hard, and not too soft. I like to have a kitchenette and this was a nice one. We asked Torrey if we could have a microwave, plates and silverware and they were delivered. So if they originally are not in your room, just ask!! We stayed for 1 week and it was very comfortable for that extended stay.

The bathroom and shower are nice, but there is not a good space to sit a large toiletry bag on. But as with everything, we worked it out. Also, a small armoire is available to house your clothes. Not really any drawers, just two thin drawers attached to each nightstand. There was no iron/ironing board, but we always travel where we don't need one.

Attached to the apartments is "Bourbon Street" restaurant and bar. You can access is directly by pressing "B" in the elevator. That was very convenient. This is also the location where you have your continental breakfast. Very standard continental breakfast. We had a dinner and a lunch at this restaurant and both were very good. Our room was far enough away as to not experience the noise of the bar late at night while trying to sleep. But I can see if your room was right over the bar, how that could be upsetting.

The location is one of the best I've stayed so far in the city. Just off the chaos of Time Square on Restaurant Row and a few short blocks away from a major subway hub at 42nd St. Your restaurant selection in this area is endless and one of the main perks of staying in this location.

Our room was very clean and was cleaned consistently daily. No complaints there.

Lastly, the staff helps make this location a true gem. Collin, Torrey and the others were very friendly and helped make restaurant reservations, recommendations and car-service schedules back to the airport.

We do plan on returning and bringing a few more family members. The French Quarter will be the first place we check for availability when we return.

KB & MB

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
Liverpool UK
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We have just returned from a five night stay at the FQ's, chosen after lengthy research and reading all the hotel reviews. Having our teenage daughter and 12 year old son along with us we needed a hotel that would accommodate our party .A majority of the hotels in NYC have a maximum of three to a room. but I must add that this was only one of a list of reasons for choosing this hotel.
We liked the small and friendly style being just 20 or so units. Breakfast was also included and the kitchen facilities in the room, which proved very useful. Location was also an added bonus.
After our long journey from the UK we stepped out of our yellow cab a little shaken from our white knuckle ride from JFK! We stood and looked up at the hotel and my husband and I then turned to look at one another with huge grins. From then on the experience just got better and better. We received a warm welcome and shown to our room 303, 3rd floor over looking restaurant row below. Two large doubles with beautiful linens and that very useful kitchen area. Lots of space for all four of us including the teenage daughter who had a tendancy to spill out over the room a little! Bathroom to die for and everything immaculate. We never had any disturbed sleep whatsoever.
Breakfast was taken on the mazzanine overlooking the bar which was run very efficiently by a lovely lady. The christmas decs were up and were very impressive. On the street below known as restaurant row was a selection of eateries for all tastes. The noise didnt scream at you it was just a general happy buzz. A wonderful atmosphere.
Two blocks from Times Square and pretty central for all the attractions. When out and about I took a glance at other hotels, including the usual chains and knew that OK they might have the fancy marble and trendy lobbys with 2 staff to a guest!! But they just didnt emminate the warmth and homliness of the FQ.'s
After walking the feet off ourselves throughout the day aquiring one or two blisters grrr! it was just so lovely to return to our tranquil oasis, home from home. and if we are ever fortunate to be able to return to NYC in the future this is where we shall stay.
Thank you guys!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I have just returned from a wonderful stay at this lovely boutique hotel. The reception staff, especially Stephanie with whom I had booked my room, were always pleasant and courteous. Having taken advantage of Cyber Monday sales, I had made arrangements to have my holiday shopping shipped to the hotel so that I could bring it back to Toronto; the items were already in my room awaiting my arrival, despite the fact that I arrived 3 hours before the official check in. General Manager Colin was so courteous and helpful, and it is clear that he not only takes great pride in the hotel and its service, but also in the city itself - he was a font of knowledge and helpful suggestions to all guests. And when does he find time to sleep? He was at the Front Desk in the evening, and up early to make sure that all of us were well taken care of as he greeted us at breakfast. The room (a double on the third floor, facing the street) was quiet, spotless, beautifully appointed and comfortable. The amenities (L'Occitane toiletries, a Tassimo-like coffee maker and requisite tea and coffee selection and complimentary Evian in the bar fridge) only served to make me feel comfortable and pampered. The continental breakfast on the mezzanine this morning, though simple, included everything I could have asked for, and service was firendly and professional. The patio and outdoor courtyard looked beautiful - but is was definitely too cold to ebjoy them. Finally, the location is perfect - Midtown next door to theatres, walking distance to everything. My only problem with writing this review is that I would love to be able to keep this my little secret!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel - the room was far nicer and roomier than I'd expected, and had a kitchenette. The only downside - our room was right over the adjacent bar. The first night we were there was 80's night in the bar, and we couldn't get to sleep until around 2am. We asked for ear plugs at the front desk, but they didn't have any. The next day we went out and bought some, and was able to sleep fine using them. All in all, I still had a great time, and do recommend this hotel, but management should have ear plugs on site for guests staying in the lower rooms.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
cork
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Lovely boutique hotel. Colin and his staff add an excellent personal touch. He made sure our time in NY was as pleasurable as possible. The rooms had a real unique charm. The bar and restaurant next door (Bourbon Street) offered excellent quality food in a vibrant atmosphere.

A real gem!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 23, 2010

just returned from a great weekend in new york ,love this hotel,this is my 4th time staying here.the location is excellent,The personal service and friendly staff are amazing.colin ,the manager is the best in town, he goes out of his way to make our stay perfect, i would recommend this hotel to anyone . my kids loved iy too. we will be back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank efinn84
Texas
Reviewed November 23, 2010

This was my first time to The French Quarters and I say it will be the first hotel I will try to book when I return to New York. I went with a friend who had stayed there many times before and had raved about it, now I see why. My experience with the staff, food, rooms and the entertainment in the beautiful bar was great. We had our two teenage boys with us and they loved the hotel. The location is great.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family