“Blown Away”

Ranked #18 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Edmonton, Canada
“Blown Away”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I recently stayed at the French quarter apartments whilst visiting New York city (July 28th- 29th). I have been to New York several times and I have stayed everywhere from the Pod hotel to the Plaza. I have to say, without a doubt, my stay at the french quarter apartments blew me away. I was so impressed with the level of service that the hotel staff and manager displayed. From the handwritten note in the room upon arrival to the friendly staff at the front desk, I was left with a feeling of being a valued guest down to the last moments of my stay. Colin, the manager, had a huge part to play in my overall impression of the hotel. The rooms are beautiful, the location is
fantastic and the service was outstanding.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 31, 2010

My family and I loved our suite. We had our own giant balcony, and beautifully appointed little 2 bedroom apartment. We were perfectly comfortable with the size of both bedrooms, the master was luxuriously big and the secondary bedroom was just the right size for my grandma and aunt.

I think our favorite thing about the hotel next to its decor and giant balcony was its location. The hotel is located on what locals refer to as "restaurant row" so tons of restaurants to choose from just downstairs, and a variety of attractions including times square and the theater district are just a couple minutes walk away.

The only downside was the cleaning service didn't happen until very late afternoon/early evening. This is a pain if you want to take a siesta before heading out for the evening. Also the room was a bit hot in spite of setting the in-room thermostats as low as they would go. This was easily remedied however by calling down daily to the front desk to ask that the limit in the room be set down to 68. We probably won't visit NYC in July again, but will definitely be back to the French Quarters when we return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I travel to NYC on business several times a year but only within the last did I find the "best" hotel in the city. Instead of being treated like a tourist the entire staff from Colin the G.M. to the incredible tireless desk staff of Tori and John along with Bellman Steve make you feel like family and a very special guest. They are incredibly friendly, helpful and will never forget even the smallest request to ensure you're happy and taken care of.
The facility itself could not be located in a more perfect location, blocks from Times Square and surrounded by the best returaunts in town and only a short walk to Chelsea pier district. The rooms are the cleanest in NYC and in the summer you do not have to ask for more air conditioning they keep the place chilled!. And did I mention the bar?, the coolest bar I have ever pulled a stool up to with the best bartenders as well. I think I enjoyed watching the Yankee game as much from the bar as I did going to the stadium.
In closing, I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by advertising the true beauty and comfort of this place but I had to share it !. We look forward to our next visit with our French Quarter family.
Farley & Roxanne Brown

Sudbury/Toronto/Adelaide/Auckland
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I usually stay in Sub let Apartments or B&Bs in NYC but this a very nice blend of the two. The hotel is beautiful and the location is great. The bar downstairs is fantastic. I had great service there. The style of the hotel is old world but with modern finishes. Really nice decore and feel..

I do have one issue - if you are there on any day toward the end of the week, Thurs/Fri/Sat then request a room on one of the upper floors. I initially stayed on the first floor and the noise from the bar was incredible! If you are an all night partier - which I typically are but on this occassion wanted a early night then you will be fine but the noise went untill very late in the night until early morn!! I complained and got moved up a level and there was no issue.

So bottom line is, I would definately stay there again, just ask for a higher level!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank -OnTourTwo-
melbourne
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I stayed at French Quarters, for 5 nights in June. I'd booked a Queen room, because I wanted a bigger room. (A good idea, judging from some complaints about the double room). Very comfortable bed, beautiful bathroom and furnishings. I'd flown in from Australia, and needed a good sleep. Woken at 2.30am due to band downstairs, and asked if I could move to a quieter room next morning. I was assured I could. Next day I moved upstairs, same size room (this one with charming balcony), still noisy, due to being at the front of building, and hearing the garbage trucks. The staff were very pleasant, Colin the manager, even offering to post a parcel for me and adjusting the bill, to make up for the inconvenience. This is a great place to stay, close to everything, especially Broadway theatres. Fridge, coffee maker and stovetop - handy. Would stay here again, if room wasn't facing street.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank redoneMelbourne
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Based on the overwhelmingly positive Tripadvisor reviews, I chose this hotel over the Comfort Inn Midtown (also a great selection that my daughter & I have stayed in before). Nicki & I were in NYC celebrating her HS graduation and making up for a trip I had to cancel 2 years ago due to a sudden illness. We booked a "double-double" (2 double beds) Room 303 which faced 46th Street and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Colin (manager) was so pleasant & gave great suggestions - Nicki said "can we bring him back to Madison?"

Plusses - very convenient location on West 46th street - about mid-block between 8th & 9th Avenue. Lots of restaurants all around. We loved the flat-screen TV and built-in DVD player (spent our late post-theater evenings snacking & watching "Dallas" reruns) & we appreciated having the mini-fridge to store our uneaten treats & juices in. The room windows had screens allowing us to get fresh NYC air & street ambience when we wanted them. When closed the room was pretty quiet - you could still hear traffic & street noise, but it was muffled & easily ignored. The hotel provides breakfast but Nicki & I never managed to get up & out of bed in time to try it (guess that's why it's called a vacation!). The hotel staff were very helpful - printing out my airline boarding passes before we checked out, giving good recommendations for restaurants & helping Nicki find a much-needed safety pin.

Minuses - the room is small & getting to my bed (the one closest to the window) required some deft maneuvering (think billygoat!). There's not alot of storage space for large suitcases & several times I ended up heaving the suitcases & desk chair onto my bed so I could get around easier! You definitely cannot leave stuff scattered around if you expect to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night without tripping. The room reminded me very much of what we had in Paris - small but very charming. You just have to be tidier than you maybe want to be on a vacation! There's also no real lobby - just a couple of chairs & table across from the front desk. The vase of roses (real ones with fragrance) was a much appreciated touch - we got to enjoy them every time we left & came back to the hotel.

I agree with previous posters who've noted the 2-burner cooktop is pretty worthless. We didn't have any pans/dishes to heat anything up in. A microwave would've been more useful. Also, while there are cabinets to put dishes/glasses in, the hotel does not provide them (except for coffee mugs). Thankfully I brought my own paper plates & plastic utensils along - made our late-night snack time more enjoyable! There is also no place to hang long items (such as overcoats, long dresses, etc.). The desk in the corner was very tiny - just big enough for my laptop. The hotel provides hard-wired internet as well as wireless - it was easy to just plug it into the laptop. Having an extension cord with me allowed me to plug the laptop's power cord in without having to unplug the desk lamp.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Our timing must have been good - we got our room for $249/night. Maybe not the cheapest alternative, but pretty good for NYC. We truly enjoyed our "mother/daughter" time together and a big part of that was feeling safe & comfortable with the place we stayed. Thank you French Quarters for helping make this a memorable trip for us!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank HockeyDanceMom
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I recently had the opportunity to visit New York City and chose to stay at The French Quarters Guest Apartments on New York City’s Restaurant Row.

Let me start by getting to the point, I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again. As I have mentioned previously, I don’t generally have good luck with hotels. Quite often I barely sleep as I am kept up by other guests or the outside noise. For the most part, I slept soundly here in part because of the comfortable beds with pillow-top mattresses, 300 thread count linens!

Now, I can’t say everything was perfect with the stay. There were two things that stand out to me as not meeting my expectations. One was within their control, the other was not. First I will discuss the item that was within their control. About three days prior to arrival, I called to request an early check in (regular check in is 3:00, I was requesting 12:00). After driving to the city, I like to get settled before venturing out. I was told by an extremely pleasant young lady that my request could be accommodated and she would note my reservation. She also told me where I could park my vehicle within a block of the hotel for only $30 for 24 hours. Very helpful! Fast forward to the day of arrival. After driving over four hours, I arrived in the city about 12:30, parked my car and carried my luggage the one block to the hotel. Upon arrival, the hotel is beautiful, just like in the pictures. I couldn’t help but smile at how nice it looks! I walked to the check in desk, which really is just a small little desk in front of the only elevator. I gave my last name and was told my room wasn’t quite ready. I asked when it would be ready and was told not until 2:30. I wondered to myself what could possibly take two full hours to get the rooms ready. I explained that I had requested the early check in to this man and he didn’t really seem to care; just kept reminding me that check in time was 3:00. Gee thanks. Needless to say, my smile faded. I asked if he could hold my luggage, and he was able to do that so I was able to go exploring without having to worry about my luggage.

After leaving my luggage, I went in search of lunch. I stumbled across “Don Giovanni Ristorante, The Best Brick Oven Pizza in Town”. I ordered the Hawaiian pizza and a chicken Caesar salad. Both were delicious! I would highly recommend this restaurant on your visit to NYC.

Around 3:00 I went back to the hotel and was greeted checked in by a wonderful woman. She took me up to my room (Room 302), explained about the continental breakfast in the morning and informed me that the front doors are locked after 8:00 pm and my room key would allow me access. I booked a king room and was extremely happy with everything, especially with the cleanliness! My room had a small little balcony which I really enjoyed when I just wanted to get a little fresh air. Some of the other ammenities that I found useful were: Plasma TV’s with DVD players and satellite TV, Complimentary wireless high speed Internet access, In-room safes, and iPod compatible AM/FM clock. The room also had a Keurig coffee maker, which was a really nice way to start off my morning followed by a trip to their continental breakfast. Speaking of the continental breakfast, the food was good. The best part of the continental breakfast is the ability to eat out on the patio. Lovely!

Everything else was perfect with my stay except something that the hotel could not have controlled. One evening around 11:30, I was woken from a deep sleep by a garbage truck in front of the hotel. It was so loud that I don’t know how anyone could have slept through it! Small things like that days weather report, the post newspaper and "what is going on" in the city slipped under my door each morning just added to my stay.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone from business travelers to leisure travelers. This hotel fits the bill!

2 Thank Bella213