“Memorable Visit”

The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #19 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Based on the overwhelmingly positive Tripadvisor reviews, I chose this hotel over the Comfort Inn Midtown (also a great selection that my daughter & I have stayed in before). Nicki & I were in NYC celebrating her HS graduation and making up for a trip I had to cancel 2 years ago due to a sudden illness. We booked a "double-double" (2 double beds) Room 303 which faced 46th Street and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Colin (manager) was so pleasant & gave great suggestions - Nicki said "can we bring him back to Madison?"

Plusses - very convenient location on West 46th street - about mid-block between 8th & 9th Avenue. Lots of restaurants all around. We loved the flat-screen TV and built-in DVD player (spent our late post-theater evenings snacking & watching "Dallas" reruns) & we appreciated having the mini-fridge to store our uneaten treats & juices in. The room windows had screens allowing us to get fresh NYC air & street ambience when we wanted them. When closed the room was pretty quiet - you could still hear traffic & street noise, but it was muffled & easily ignored. The hotel provides breakfast but Nicki & I never managed to get up & out of bed in time to try it (guess that's why it's called a vacation!). The hotel staff were very helpful - printing out my airline boarding passes before we checked out, giving good recommendations for restaurants & helping Nicki find a much-needed safety pin.

Minuses - the room is small & getting to my bed (the one closest to the window) required some deft maneuvering (think billygoat!). There's not alot of storage space for large suitcases & several times I ended up heaving the suitcases & desk chair onto my bed so I could get around easier! You definitely cannot leave stuff scattered around if you expect to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night without tripping. The room reminded me very much of what we had in Paris - small but very charming. You just have to be tidier than you maybe want to be on a vacation! There's also no real lobby - just a couple of chairs & table across from the front desk. The vase of roses (real ones with fragrance) was a much appreciated touch - we got to enjoy them every time we left & came back to the hotel.

I agree with previous posters who've noted the 2-burner cooktop is pretty worthless. We didn't have any pans/dishes to heat anything up in. A microwave would've been more useful. Also, while there are cabinets to put dishes/glasses in, the hotel does not provide them (except for coffee mugs). Thankfully I brought my own paper plates & plastic utensils along - made our late-night snack time more enjoyable! There is also no place to hang long items (such as overcoats, long dresses, etc.). The desk in the corner was very tiny - just big enough for my laptop. The hotel provides hard-wired internet as well as wireless - it was easy to just plug it into the laptop. Having an extension cord with me allowed me to plug the laptop's power cord in without having to unplug the desk lamp.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Our timing must have been good - we got our room for $249/night. Maybe not the cheapest alternative, but pretty good for NYC. We truly enjoyed our "mother/daughter" time together and a big part of that was feeling safe & comfortable with the place we stayed. Thank you French Quarters for helping make this a memorable trip for us!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank HockeyDanceMom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,196)

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I recently had the opportunity to visit New York City and chose to stay at The French Quarters Guest Apartments on New York City’s Restaurant Row.

Let me start by getting to the point, I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again. As I have mentioned previously, I don’t generally have good luck with hotels. Quite often I barely sleep as I am kept up by other guests or the outside noise. For the most part, I slept soundly here in part because of the comfortable beds with pillow-top mattresses, 300 thread count linens!

Now, I can’t say everything was perfect with the stay. There were two things that stand out to me as not meeting my expectations. One was within their control, the other was not. First I will discuss the item that was within their control. About three days prior to arrival, I called to request an early check in (regular check in is 3:00, I was requesting 12:00). After driving to the city, I like to get settled before venturing out. I was told by an extremely pleasant young lady that my request could be accommodated and she would note my reservation. She also told me where I could park my vehicle within a block of the hotel for only $30 for 24 hours. Very helpful! Fast forward to the day of arrival. After driving over four hours, I arrived in the city about 12:30, parked my car and carried my luggage the one block to the hotel. Upon arrival, the hotel is beautiful, just like in the pictures. I couldn’t help but smile at how nice it looks! I walked to the check in desk, which really is just a small little desk in front of the only elevator. I gave my last name and was told my room wasn’t quite ready. I asked when it would be ready and was told not until 2:30. I wondered to myself what could possibly take two full hours to get the rooms ready. I explained that I had requested the early check in to this man and he didn’t really seem to care; just kept reminding me that check in time was 3:00. Gee thanks. Needless to say, my smile faded. I asked if he could hold my luggage, and he was able to do that so I was able to go exploring without having to worry about my luggage.

After leaving my luggage, I went in search of lunch. I stumbled across “Don Giovanni Ristorante, The Best Brick Oven Pizza in Town”. I ordered the Hawaiian pizza and a chicken Caesar salad. Both were delicious! I would highly recommend this restaurant on your visit to NYC.

Around 3:00 I went back to the hotel and was greeted checked in by a wonderful woman. She took me up to my room (Room 302), explained about the continental breakfast in the morning and informed me that the front doors are locked after 8:00 pm and my room key would allow me access. I booked a king room and was extremely happy with everything, especially with the cleanliness! My room had a small little balcony which I really enjoyed when I just wanted to get a little fresh air. Some of the other ammenities that I found useful were: Plasma TV’s with DVD players and satellite TV, Complimentary wireless high speed Internet access, In-room safes, and iPod compatible AM/FM clock. The room also had a Keurig coffee maker, which was a really nice way to start off my morning followed by a trip to their continental breakfast. Speaking of the continental breakfast, the food was good. The best part of the continental breakfast is the ability to eat out on the patio. Lovely!

Everything else was perfect with my stay except something that the hotel could not have controlled. One evening around 11:30, I was woken from a deep sleep by a garbage truck in front of the hotel. It was so loud that I don’t know how anyone could have slept through it! Small things like that days weather report, the post newspaper and "what is going on" in the city slipped under my door each morning just added to my stay.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone from business travelers to leisure travelers. This hotel fits the bill!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bella213
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We had recommendations for other hotels but booked the French Quarter because of other positive reviews, location, and price. We would definitely go back again. The staff is excellent. Colin, the General Manager shows genuine interest in making you comfortable. He gave us suggestions that were perfect for us. Torrey and every other staff member were always eager to help. The room was very comfortable, bigger than we expected. The bed is amazingly comfortable. I am seriously considering investing in a pillow top for our mattress at home. The linens felt luxurious. Air conditioning worked wonders on hot, muggy July days and nights. It was quiet in our room and we slept great. The continental breakfast included hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee, and was a great way to start a day of sight seeing. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2010

What's not to LOVE about the French Quarters?! Let me tell you nothing! The staff to the accommodations - the food (room service) from Bourbon Street Bar & Grille was awesome!!!!! Even the soap and shampoo left in the bathroom was of great quality. After sightseeing - walking all over it felt soooo Good not to have to worry about my room. The beds are Super comfy. I left my sunglasses there and before I even realized they were missing they had already shipped the glasses to my home.
A little pricey but whats not in New York! Worth every penny and more. I have recommended to everyone & I definitely will be staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank MissG_Donna
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Having read many Tripadvisor reviews before coming, I had very high expectations of the French Quarters. In general, we were very pleased: location, staff, cleanliness, freshness of the furnishings and decor. But the reviews also demonstrate, as I see in retrospect, that there are substantial differences from room to room. We booked a "Standard Queen room". We got room 106. It was very quiet (with the windows closed..it was a very hot day and night so we didn't try it with them open, although I appriecate rooms where one has the option). Both the main room (with the queen bed flush against a wall) and the bathroom (where it was difficult to unroll toilet paper if seated there since it's so close to the wall) were very snug. We're both realitively small so this wasn't really a problem, but it was a surprise, since so many reviews complemented the spaciousness of the accomidations. The refidgerator was nice to have, but would have been more useful with a microwave (while having a stovetop and no utensils is sort of useless). I appriciated that the included continental breakfast included hard boiled eggs and yogurt, since I feel that having some protein bearing foods for breakfast is important.

On balance, we're glad we stayed here and probably will again, but were a bit surprised by the "coziness".

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2010

IF you're going to BWay shows, FQ location is ideal - only 1 to 6 blocks away from ALL venues. Colin + staff hospitality was wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We recently stayed for a week on our honeymoon and had fantastic stay. Colin, the General Manager, welcomed us personally and suggested many activities and sights we should see off the beaten track. Great staff, great location. We also reccomend eating breakfast at Amy's Bread a block away on 9th for the best coffee i've ever tasted outside of Italy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple