“Great Location”

Ranked #18 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here in November, and can say it's in a really good location, 2 blocks or so from time square. The rooms were really nice and the beds very comfortable, bathroom was also great. Breakfast, in my opinion, was pretty average. Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sophie152

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
Ireland
Reviewed February 13, 2014

After extensive research my husband and I decided that the french quarters would be a perfect way to start our honeymoon albeit slightly expensive. Our reception was lukewarm and borderline unfriendly by an Irish guy who checked us in and showed us our room. Another receptionist proved unfriendly when we had some queries. The room was somewhat dark and small but overall had a luxurious feel with a large bed. The bathroom was lovely with a fabulous shower and gorgeous products. A surprise my new husband organised did not go as he had planned..he had asked for champagne and chocolates but we got champagne and a beautiful bouquet of roses which we had to reluctantly leave behind as we were off to Boston the next day. We did not say anything as we didn't want anything to spoil or sour the start of our honeymoon and the flowers were beautiful although my husband was disappointed his surprise didn't work out as planned. The breakfast was average but of similar quality to what we experienced in other hotels in America. The restaurant downstairs is worth stopping by, service and food is good with a reasonable price. Location wise this hotel is good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank splodgeIreland
Oslo
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Spent a week at the hotel and had a great time. Very comfortable beds, good breakfast and perfect location. It makes sense that the street is named 'Restaurant Row' - lot's of great options! We walked all over NY from here and really enjoyed out stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room - less noise from the restaurant below.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MereteML L
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Due to complicated circumstances that add nothing to this discussion, I stayed at the French Quarters while on a business trip to NYC. Although it was not especially near the venue for my conference, it was well-situated for most of midtown Manhattan.

The room was amply large, 2 queen beds, the bathroom was very spacious, clean and modern. There was a mini-kitchen, coffee pot, sink, fridge, etc., but it was still very nice to have the provided Continental breakfast before rushing off to day two of my conference.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank katsmeow52
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were visiting NYC over Christmas, before continuing on to Europe. I had heard some (horror) stories about NYC, about price gouging, tiny dogboxes of rooms, rude people ... so I spent some time researching and finally decided on the French Quarters, mainly because of its reviews. I still had my fingers crossed as we arrived in the taxi; initial impressions of W46th Street weren't great, with rubbish piled on the footpaths ... err, sidewalks ... and overflowing onto the road. This was somewhat compounded by the front desk -- a telephone box-sized area at the end of a long narrow passage.

However, within a few minutes I knew I had chosen well ... the young bloke who checked us in couldn't have been more helpful or friendlier, check-in was a breeze, and we were soon in our room. My first impression was a feeling of comfort. This was no impersonal big hotel with cookie cutter rooms; this room had been designed and furnished by humans to make the guest feel comfortable. And it worked a treat. We had a separate bathroom (large!) with L'Occitane en Provence accessories, a pod coffee maker, a microwave ... everything we needed. Our bed was large and even my crook back had no complaints.

We later met the manager, Colin, who was a gracious and accommodating host. When I was unable to get a nightcap one night for my wife and me, he unhesitatingly handed over a bottle of his own 12-year-old Irish whisky, saying, 'Just leave what's left in the room'!! Amazing. He was happy to advise us and answer our endless questions about places to go, things to see, places to eat and hop-on, hop-off buses. Nothing seemed too much trouble for him.

As for location -- it's perfect. It's an easy 5 or 10 minute stroll (literally) to Times Square and only half a block to a major stop for hop-on, hop-off buses. At no time did we feel unsafe, even walking back to our room very late at night. On our last day, we weren't being picked up for the airport until 3.00 pm. I asked Colin if he could look after our luggage for us. 'Just keep your room until then', he said. I can't see that happening at too many hotels!!

I think we would have had a very different -- lesser -- stay in NYC had we chosen a different hotel. We would go back there in a heartbeat, and i can only heartily recommend it to anyone who's even contemplating a visit.

Room Tip: An upstairs street view let's you watch the passing parade; and the windows keep most of the noi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Bruce in West Oz
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed in the French Quarter Dec 2013. I have to say the location was brilliant and the rooms were lovely. Though a bit small as there were 4 of us sharing. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the fact that we had a fridge, microwave and coffee making facilities made the rooms even better. If I was to complain about one thing it would have to be the bed or at least my side, it was lob sided and i woke every morning with a pain in my hip. Other than that i have nothing negative to say about this hotel and i would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If your in the room with the 2 double beds take the one by the window its much more comfortable
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ann65dublin
Birmingham,
Reviewed January 25, 2014

After spending a long time trying to decide NYC hotel we would stay in, I'm pleased we chose this one. I couldn't have picked anywhere better to stay in New York. From the friendly welcome and easy quick check in, to the clean room; I felt we were well looked after during our stay.

The rooms tick all the boxes; they are pleasantly decorated, cleaned to a high standard, comfy bed and good shower. Perfect place to relax after walking around New York all day. I especially liked the nice touch of receiving a news letter every morning, which informed us of the weather and suggestions of things to do.

The continental breakfasts are good (as far as continental breakfast go, that is), with a good choice of cereal, yoghurts etc and a whole pint of orange juice!

The location is perfect if you are going to see a show, not too far to walk to any of the theatres on Broadway. There are a variety of restaurants on the street and not forgetting the excellent bar "don't tell mama" which is just across the road.

I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff who looked after us during our stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends