“Home away from home”

The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #21 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were visiting NYC over Christmas, before continuing on to Europe. I had heard some (horror) stories about NYC, about price gouging, tiny dogboxes of rooms, rude people ... so I spent some time researching and finally decided on the French Quarters, mainly because of its reviews. I still had my fingers crossed as we arrived in the taxi; initial impressions of W46th Street weren't great, with rubbish piled on the footpaths ... err, sidewalks ... and overflowing onto the road. This was somewhat compounded by the front desk -- a telephone box-sized area at the end of a long narrow passage.

However, within a few minutes I knew I had chosen well ... the young bloke who checked us in couldn't have been more helpful or friendlier, check-in was a breeze, and we were soon in our room. My first impression was a feeling of comfort. This was no impersonal big hotel with cookie cutter rooms; this room had been designed and furnished by humans to make the guest feel comfortable. And it worked a treat. We had a separate bathroom (large!) with L'Occitane en Provence accessories, a pod coffee maker, a microwave ... everything we needed. Our bed was large and even my crook back had no complaints.

We later met the manager, Colin, who was a gracious and accommodating host. When I was unable to get a nightcap one night for my wife and me, he unhesitatingly handed over a bottle of his own 12-year-old Irish whisky, saying, 'Just leave what's left in the room'!! Amazing. He was happy to advise us and answer our endless questions about places to go, things to see, places to eat and hop-on, hop-off buses. Nothing seemed too much trouble for him.

As for location -- it's perfect. It's an easy 5 or 10 minute stroll (literally) to Times Square and only half a block to a major stop for hop-on, hop-off buses. At no time did we feel unsafe, even walking back to our room very late at night. On our last day, we weren't being picked up for the airport until 3.00 pm. I asked Colin if he could look after our luggage for us. 'Just keep your room until then', he said. I can't see that happening at too many hotels!!

I think we would have had a very different -- lesser -- stay in NYC had we chosen a different hotel. We would go back there in a heartbeat, and i can only heartily recommend it to anyone who's even contemplating a visit.

Room Tip: An upstairs street view let's you watch the passing parade; and the windows keep most of the noi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Bruce in West Oz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,169)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed in the French Quarter Dec 2013. I have to say the location was brilliant and the rooms were lovely. Though a bit small as there were 4 of us sharing. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the fact that we had a fridge, microwave and coffee making facilities made the rooms even better. If I was to complain about one thing it would have to be the bed or at least my side, it was lob sided and i woke every morning with a pain in my hip. Other than that i have nothing negative to say about this hotel and i would most certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If your in the room with the 2 double beds take the one by the window its much more comfortable
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ann65dublin
Reviewed January 25, 2014

After spending a long time trying to decide NYC hotel we would stay in, I'm pleased we chose this one. I couldn't have picked anywhere better to stay in New York. From the friendly welcome and easy quick check in, to the clean room; I felt we were well looked after during our stay.

The rooms tick all the boxes; they are pleasantly decorated, cleaned to a high standard, comfy bed and good shower. Perfect place to relax after walking around New York all day. I especially liked the nice touch of receiving a news letter every morning, which informed us of the weather and suggestions of things to do.

The continental breakfasts are good (as far as continental breakfast go, that is), with a good choice of cereal, yoghurts etc and a whole pint of orange juice!

The location is perfect if you are going to see a show, not too far to walk to any of the theatres on Broadway. There are a variety of restaurants on the street and not forgetting the excellent bar "don't tell mama" which is just across the road.

I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff who looked after us during our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Katy_Jo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I loved this hotel so much it even inspired the new look of our bedroom in our new house. It is absolutely gorgeous, and clean (a botique hotel)... it sits on a quiet street in a restaurant hub... About minutes walk to timesquare, easy access to the subway, laundry mat around the corner, friendly and helpful staff.. la pulperia accross the street has amazing south american food... I was devistated when we had to leave. If we ever manage to go back to NYC the french quarters is where we will be staying!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Aneesa_Khan
Reviewed January 20, 2014

A great location, far enough from Broadway and Times Square to be chilled out but close enough to be just a short walk to the main attractions, restaurants and crowds. There is a bar and restaurant associated with the hotel and if you have a room on floors 1 and 2 at the back of the hotel this may be an issue for sleeping but on floor 3 we did just fine.

The breakfast is a bit weak. Not a great selection but enough to get you going and into your first deli of the day. Subway as it two block north and south so really easy to get down to Soho, Manhattan etc. The 7-Day Unlimited MTA is a must, even if you are there for just 3.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go high and too the front if you can.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank K7Buoy
Reviewed January 17, 2014

What a wonderful stay we had this winter at FQGA. From our first contact with the hotel via phone to our friendly farewell from the staff upon departure, the service we received can only be described as excellent. Although Tripadvisor may classify it as a hotel, the fine attention to detail and focus on guests' comfort makes FQGA feel more like high quality bed & breakfast. The personable, engaging staff was helpful and genuinely concerned about maximizing our experience both in the hotel and around the city. Our room was cozy, though lovely and well-appointed. The retro-tiled bath is dramatically lit, stylish and functional with a large glass walk-in shower. The linens are lush and bed is uber-comfortable with plenty of pillows and blankets. The continental breakfast (served until 10am) is simple but more than adequate and staffed by (again) very attentive waitstaff. The convenience of the location on Restaurant Row is excellent. Our room, situated at the back of the hotel but just above the (also excellent) co-located restaurant/bar, was so quiet it was easy to forget we were steps from Times Square and the Theatre District's best venues. Transportation to other parts of the city is easy, with metro stops an easy walk in 2 directions. It is hard to believe the value that this boutique hotel provides for (comparatively) affordable rates.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mbethtravels
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had a great stay at The French Quarter last summer. We usually stay at B&B’s and boutique hotels when possible, and The French Quarter definitely fits in that category. We were just there to get a few errands knocked out downtown, but if this is your first time to the city (or even if you are a NYC veteran), then this is a great pick. We drove into NY, so we needed a place to park the car, and there’s a parking garage that’s about 2 or 3 blocks away. If you tell the hotel beforehand, they can tell you the garage location that gives them a discounted rate. The hotel is located within walking distance of Times Square and the theater district and there are several nearby metro stations that are about 5-10 minutes away. The rooms are a bit small (just remember you are right next to Times Square, so small is average), but comfortable, complete with free wifi, a fridge and comfy bed. They give you a daily sheet with nearby events, the weather, and a few other things which was a great touch. There’s a good sports bar/restaurant downstairs that has great happy hour specials, and this is also where they serve the complimentary breakfast in the morning. We’d recommend this hotel to anyone heading to Manhattan for business or leisure. The value was superb, friendly and helpful staff, good food, comfortable rooms, convenient downtown location, and very fair room rates.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple