“Fantastic in every way! Location, service & comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The French Quarters Guest Apartments

The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #13 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic in every way! Location, service & comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were a group of ladies travelling to NYC for special birthday celebrations staying for 8 nights. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment and some double doubles. All the rooms were beautifully appointed, the beds & furnishings wonderfully comfortable. A coffee machine, beautiful bathroom products, soft towels - a newspaper and a "whats happening in NYC today" daily info sheet slipped under our door every morning. Breakfast (included in room price) was all that was needed with cereals, toast, bagels, eggs, pastries, juice, coffee/tea. The service and staff were fantastic!! Thank you to Colin (Manager), Monica, John, Michael, Tori (and anyone else I may have forgotten. They knew us by name and made us feel as though the French Quarters was our "home away from home". They were able to answer any questions we had. On our arrival the Friday evening Monica went out of her way to see that we settled in with everything we needed. The location was perfect! 2 blocks to Times Square and Theatre district and a great selection of restaurants within walking distance. The Bourbon bar and restaurant next door to the hotel was a great spot for dinner & drinks & they provided room service too. I highly recommended this hotel and look forward to going back again one day!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank trish_m_from_Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Manchester, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Step away from the lights of Broadway, the blaring of horn and sea of people in Times Square and Viola-welcome to the French Quarters. The wrought iron railings, gas light style lamps and the sweet sound of jazz coming from the restaurant all made for a quiet haven in the city that never sleeps.
Colin and his staff were warm and welcoming and the rooms were tastefully decorated, inviting and full of Old World charm. Comfortable, Quiet and most of all right in the heart of the theater district, restaurant row and Times Square.
This will be one of our favorite places to stay while in NYC as it is truly a gateway to all that is happening in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank shoots4themoon
Mandurah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in a total of 12 hotels on our Canada/US trip and by far this was our favourite. We dealt with fantastic staff, our room was so tastefully decorated was like walking into 'home' and had so many little features (a great coffee machine with a huge array of pods, juices and soaps,lotions of beautiful quality, a daily newspaper and hotel daily "whats happening") The bed was sensational to sleep in. Breakfast was all we needed before we headed off on our foodie days. Colin the manager came by and chatted 2 of the 4 mornings we were there, asking if all was to our liking. A huge thankyou to Tori who helped us on our booking, getting via train and taxi to the hotel and her great welcome and cheery daily chats! It is fantastically located close to the theatres, Times Square, and restaurants everywhere. The Bourbon Bar and Grille was a great spot for dinner and drinks too. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had the 2nd level front room and cannot recommend it enough! Bathroom and room were spotless and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank upforaholiday
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were planning to do the NYC tourist gig in mid-October and wanted to stay close to Times Square - Great pick! The location is perfect for the theatre and Times Square access, yet quiet and spacious. The staff was very helpful and there was a great selection of restaurants in a 2-3 block radius. This place made a great home for a 4 night stay. Since breakfast was included, it was easy to get off to a well fed, healthy start each moring. I'd stay there again!

Room Tip: Since the location is on a side street, I'm not sure which rooms have views. Ours coincidental...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

It was my first trip to NYC and I couldn't have picked a better location! This hotel is placed perfectly for Times Square, Broadway - and the whole of Manhattan to be honest! The hotel is on Restaurant Row so there are plenty of places to eat and drink on the doorstep and the hotel also provides a very good breakfast for guests. The staff we met were all very helpful and friendly, and there were clearly a lot of guests who were on return visits which is always a good sign.
The room itself was quite small but stylish and the bathroom was a very good size, another plus was the coffee maker which was a great way to start the day; the only draw back was the size of the wardrobe which was impractically small but this was only a minor issue. Would definitely stay here again if in NYC

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ampthill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have just returned from a 5 day stay with my family ( Mum and Dad and two teenagers ) at The French Quarters. The Quarters' prime asset is the location quickly followed by the quality of the rooms and the intimate feel, it has only 27 rooms. ( For readers of a certain age, the area reminded me of the video of the Rolling Stones' 'Waiting on a friend' ). We were only a short walk from the hustle & bustle of Times Square and as New York is a walker's city we found ourselves within striking distance of everything we wished to see. The marvel of the Quarters is though you are in the midst of the action, above a lively bar (Bourbon Street Bar and Grille), with the sights and sounds of NYC on your doorstep, as soon as the windows are closed you are immediately cocooned in a peaceful, luxurious space of your own. We took a 2 bedroom suite ( room 401 ) which to my very great surprise had a private balcony from which we could view NY's mid-town and 'restaurant row' (W46 street) below, featuring a good part of the world's cuisine in a single street. The fridge was stocked for our arrival with water and an interesting herbal drink in plentiful supply. Each day we received a free copy of the local newspaper and a 'What's happening today' fact sheet giving ideas of what to do and a guide to the weather. This was a nice touch and typical of the manager's approach to looking after his guests.

The King Size bed was fit for Henry VIII and the en-suite bathroom and main bathroom were exceptionally well designed and spotless every day. A modest lounge and kitchenette separated the bedrooms though bizarrely the kitchen was stocked with neither crockery nor cutlery which suggested to us we were not really encouraged to eat in. Frankly this was never an issue as eating out in NY has to rank as one of life's great pleasures. Most days we would return to the Quarters tired and happy with our bellies full. The layout of the Quarters is interesting , 2 sets of stairs only one of which will lead you to the mezzanine level for breakfast the other to the street.

There have been many comments on this site about the good quality of the buffet continental breakfasts. We found the breakfast to be of variable quality (coffee in urns, limited choice of breakfast food) with mostly apathetic service, I lost count of the number of times I asked for hot water to make tea, and in the end we skipped in-house breakfast altogether in favour of proper coffee and tea from one of the hundreds of Starbucks throughout NYC. Interestingly when Colin, the manager appeared I noticed the breakfast service upped its game considerably. Similarly the approach and attentiveness of reception staff varied hugely. Still, this is New York I told myself and it's hard to impress a New Yorker with your plans for the day.

We had one negative experience. I must stress I do NOT hold the Quarters responsible for this but I need to share this to alert other foreign visitors to NY. One evening my wife suffered a severe allergic reaction, we suspect to sea-food eaten an hour earlier. We rushed back to the Quarters. The reception staff were on the ball and very attentive and called a 24 hour emergency doctor on my behalf. The agency supplying the doctor needed my credit card details and promised to send a doctor within 30 mins. The estimated cost given was $800. The reception staff thought this was 'ridiculous' and suggested i took my wife to hospital. On balance i decided to have the emergency doctor examine my wife first then take appropriate action. One hour later the doctor arrived. His first question was : 'may i please see your insurance documentation?'. I supplied and he read to his satisfaction. He then turned his attention to the patient who by this time was sleeping and having taken a couple of anti-histamines appeared to be fine. The doctor spent 5 mins examining my wife and announced she was fine and that the anti-histamines had done the job. This was the reassurance i was looking for and i breathed a sigh of relief. Next the doctor invited me to handover my credit card and complete AND SIGN a form which i did gladly, he then completed section 2 of the same form which included an itemisation of the costs. The total was a staggering $3,700 !!! When i challenged him that this was $2,900 higher than the estimate and that he'd spent only 5 mins and prescribed nothing his response was a shrug and 'the insurance will pay'. When pressed he showed me a sheaf of a dozen or more identical forms the majority of which showed the same charge $3,700! Having signed the form BEFORE the costs were itemised i had fallen into the trap. The doctor, genial and friendly though he was had massively over-charged for his service. This is a scam and well engineered to exploit people in a vulnerable state, so please, fellow travellers beware of this and never sign anything until you're clear on the total costs. My credit card was debited the very next day with the full amount $3,700.

I alerted Colin the manager to what had happened and he was furious and called the Doctor 24 agency immediately. This particular case will continue for some time.

However, aside from this unfortunate experience we all loved NYC and the French Quarters and I recommend it highly but please keep your eyes open and your wits about you.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the suite on the 4th floor ( room 401 ) sunny in the morning and a private balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jon M
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

French Quarters is a tiny boutique hotel on restaurant row, a block from Times Square, and a million miles away from the impersonal, impatient, soak-the-tourist mentality of many New York hotels. My "standard" room was tiny but had everything I needed (except for a fitness center or deal with nearby club): queen bed, desk, free wifi, plus refrigerator, sink, stove, Kreuger coffee maker, very nice, modern bathroom. Nice view, too, of distant skyscrapers. Free breakfast included some excellent fresh baked scones, as well as yoghurt, muffins, apples and bananas. The biggest plus: I've never met such a friendly, helpful, eager to please staff in either a hotel or B&B. I left my iPHone on the bed when I checked out, and didn't realize till I was on the train. It had NOT disappeared, as so often happens with valuables left behind at hotels. They had it, and offered to overnight it to my home address. Is that service or what?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo