“The best place to stay in New York”

The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #20 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We returned to the French Quarters in the spring as my husband had a business meeting and, as always, had a great stay. The room was fabulous and the people are so friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,195)

Reviewed July 21, 2011

My wife and I like to go visit NYC 3 or 4 times a year to catch a show. We like to experience different hotels. This was the first time we stayed at The French Quarter Apartments which is one Restaurent Row. We got there around 13.30pm and Tori at the front desk was kind enough to hold our bags as the room was not ready yet. She was very pleasant and helpful. We caught an afternoon show( Spiderman!) and later had dinner on the balcony of the restaurant that is part of the apartments. Our room was comfortable and we had breakfast, which was included, on the terrace. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed at the French Quarter Suites in late June for one full week. We were a family of six and had two rooms on the third floor of the brownstone portion of the property which is next door to the lobby entrance but physically sharing a wall with it. Our rooms, 306 and 307, were both roomy with two double beds in both rooms with the room facing the street a little larger than the room which overlooked the courtyard in back. The bathrooms were nice with a large shower with integrated seat and plenty of room and good lighting. The rooms were on the third floor with no elevator which worked fine for us but some guests might find that challenging. The brownstone side should be quieter as it’s on the side separated from the restaurant and bar on the primary side but it doesn’t feature an elevator. There is a an elevator in the main hotel building (again the hotel is comprised of two brownstones) so some rooms do have elevator access and TripAdvisor users should inquire about which side of the hotel their rooms will be located.

The hotel’s location on 46th street on Restaurant Row between 8th and 9th is super convenient effectively one and a half blocks off the center of Times Square and right in the midst of a ton of restaurants and bars. Also, there’s an Amy’s Bread (delicious bakery) and Starbucks on 9th within 400 meters of the hotel’s front door.

The hotel has a nice continental breakfast on the 2nd floor of the main building every morning. Breakfast is served a little earlier weekdays than weekends. It features a host of breads, cereal, coffee, juice, etc. We didn’t take advantage of this everyday but it’s a nice amenity if you elect to use it.

There were some minor blemishes on what otherwise is a great property. First, we stayed in late June and the weather in the city is hot and steamy. The rooms have a thermostat but setting it at its lowest temperature of 72 degrees left the room probably 4-6 degrees warmer. When we called the front desk and reported that our rooms were warm the front desk could centrally turn the thermostat to a lower temperature setting unavailable to the guest in the room (it would read 67 in the room). At that lower setting, the room would cool off and be extremely comfortable for sleeping. The thing which defied explanation, however, was that the hotel’s system would reset the thermostat at around 1130pm or midnight each night to a higher temp and the room would get warm quickly. So, if you’re like me or the folks in my family, you wake up hot and uncomfortable and have to call the front desk to ask them to turn the A/C back down. I can understand needing to do that one time (“this guest likes his room cool to sleep in”) but I don’t understand having to call the front desk every night to ask them to turn down my thermostat – that’s simply ridiculous. Don’t interrupt my otherwise restful slumber every night with a problem they could easily remedy by holding the temperature in my room constant.

The other somewhat silly blemish on our stay has to do with supplying fresh shampoo and soap. We were a family of six (three people per room) staying for one week. Perhaps it’s okay not to put new soap and shampoo in the room everyday but for goodness sake put it in every other day. I had to call the front desk twice during our stay and ask that they bring up soap and shampoo. I know this sounds silly and it is silly but why should I have to call the front desk at the same problem twice? Again, perhaps one time I’d have to ask for more soap but you’d think for the rest of our stay we’d be swimming in little shampoo bottles and bars of soap. Instead we had to keep asking for them. Silly.

The other weird thing which happened was I got a call from the property general manager upon returning to the room one afternoon and he asked if we had been smoking in the rooms. I told him definitively that no one in my party smoked and assured him we had not been smoking in the rooms. I did not smell smoke in the room I was in and walked over to the room my boys where sharing and did not smell smoke in that room either. My sons are athletes and I know they don’t smoke so while I didn’t smell smoke in either room I was confident we would not have been responsible for the smell even if it was present. On one of my trips to the front desk to ask for the A/C to be turned down or to ask for more shampoo and soap I asked to speak to the general manager and told him that I had checked both rooms and didn’t smell smoke in either room. He said that housekeeping had smelled smoke and that while he hadn’t inspected it for himself he felt compelled to call me. This struck me as weird – before accusing a guest of breaking a rule wouldn’t you want to be really certain of the situation and have personally inspected it? When I suggested that there was no smell of smoke in the rooms he said that perhaps my boys had been smoking without my knowledge. So, he was essentially implying that either I didn’t know my boys and indeed they did smoke or I knew they smoked and was lying about their smoking. All of this and he had actually admitted that he didn’t personally inspect the issue raised by his housekeeper. I walked away from this and sort of let it drop but thinking about it still gets my goat.

These three issues for me were representative of my experience with the hotel management. I saw it as a big negative which was offset by an otherwise great property in a great location which otherwise represented good value. I think the management at the hotel can easily correct these issues and provide guests a really specatular experience but they have to elect to do so and put the customer first.

I will add that the front desk staff was cheerful and responsive to our requests but I guess what separates a good hotel from a great hotel is one that is able to learn, make changes, and improve the experience of it’s guests. My experience with the hotel on the A/C and tioletires indicated they did not learn, or worse, had policies which actually prevented them from doing the obvious thing which would improve the guest’s experience.

I would recommend the hotel but would encourage TripAdvisor users to check recently posted comments to see what others experiences are like with the management. Hopefully the management commits to putting the customer first and focused on providing the best possible experience for every guest.

Room Tip: Check the hotel website for room descriptions.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank onlandorbysea
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Been coming to New York for years twice per year. For years we bounced around and have found a hidden Gem! Clean, Comfortable, Great location. Awesome dinning everywhere. Staff outstanding!!!!! We now bring the whole group and get 5 rooms both trips. Check it out! but, don't tell anyone else of these special place. Collin the Manager, HATS OFF!
See you in January

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Great for business or pleasure. Helpful staff, comfortable rooms and many dining options all within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend in NYC. This was just a getaway weekend to have fun and reconnect with each other (sans kids). We were interested in the French Quarters because we were looking for a cozy hotel with great service in the heart of Manhattan. After looking at many others we decided to go with the FQ because of the positive reviews we read online. What a great choice we made! We were given a clean, lovely, spacious room with a street view of restaurant row. The service was super. Room was beautiful. We were super close to everything we wanted to see and do, including Central Park. Other people mentioned the noise but we have stayed in Manhattan in large and small hotels and have had pretty similar experiences. If you are close enough to the street you will hear noise in almost any hotel. NY is loud! We thought the noise was a non-issue. Really our room was very quite and we slept like babies (in their mid-40's). Great hotel! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Call the front desk and ask about the rooms. Ask about views and which rooms are more quite.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wts111
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Our family from New Zealand came to the US and NYC was on the wish list of places to see. We stayed at the French Quarters and it was a wonderful experience. The rooms were spacious and the service was great. Be sure to have breakfast in the charming dining area. I plan on returning to NYC and have found where I will be staying every time.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family