“Nice Indian Experience!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 31, 2009

I stumbled upon Kiran Indian Cuisine by accident when looking for a pre-theater restaurant in January. I had a hankering for a deli sandwich, but there were forty people waiting in front of Carnegie Deli; Stage was worse. So I headed west to Ninth Avenue in search of something new. I found Kiran Indian Cuisine just one storefront to the west on 53rd Street, entered, stamped the snow off my boots, and discovered a world that was welcome after my exhaustive search.

Kiran is small and spotless and decorated with lots of Indian souvenirs and hangings. Bollywood musicals were playing on the flat screen TV at one end of the restaurant. A waiter came immediately through the beaded curtain hanging in front of the kitchen door and seated me. I was hungry, so I ordered more than usual...a meat samosa, some soup, vegetable korma, and a lamb dish. I decided on simple freshly baked Nan to accompany. I was totally satisfied. The spice here is very good, but can be amplified for those wishing to sear their palates. All of this cost me $32.

I recommend this friendly, clean, and tasty option for pre-theater dining. The waiter told me that the chef is from Mumbai. He also said that they are busiest during the week and that their clientele come from the office buildings that surround the area. On the Saturday noontime that I visited, there were only four tables filled. This is reason enough to give the place a try. I highly recommend!

3  Thank redeco

Reviewed March 29, 2009

You will not make any friends with the wait staff here.They just get to the business on hand..taking your order and bringing you HOT food, both in Temperature and Spice! A small place in the city,(maybe 10-12 tables?) where they always serve great Indian Food at Terrific prices. We have been there on numerous ocassions and it seems the owner is always there taking orders/bringing drinks,even cooking, etc. They also deliver, as it seems the phone is very busy for takeout. The Bottom line is this place is a true gem of a restaurant in NYC. You will not be disappointed. If you were thinking of trying or love Indian Food, this is the place. They will "Spice " your meal to order....

2  Thank larilu