“Unexpectedly delightful”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
Transit: F, N, Q, R & W trains to 57th Street.
Description: Over the years together, Wolfgang Ban and Eduard Frauneder have perfected their own modern take on Austrian cuisine - one which combines traditional techniques, contemporary innovations, and updates to some of their favorite childhood dishes. The team behind the prestigious private catering group, Elderberry Catering, chefs Ban and Frauneder, together with a small group of investors, have opened Seasonal Restaurant & Weinbar, their first venture open to the public. Their goal is to provide elegant home-cooking in a sleek but welcoming setting. The chefs at Seasonal pride themselves on maintaining the utmost quality in their cuisine, and therefore, consistent with its name, the kitchen uses only the freshest seasonal ingredients. The visual presentation of each plate is the final step in the process, and the chefs have ensured that the look of each plate matches the refinement of the food itself and the decor, creating an unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Enjoyed a great restaurant on W 58th St in NYC called "Seasonal". Surprised by the non-descript black and white contemporary decor. I liked the almost minimalist uncluttered look. In Retrospect I think the clean lines and purity of design was reflected quite well in the food. This Austrian restaurant had a limited menu but our choices proved delightful. The split pea soup with cottage cheese was light and tasty. The purity was surprising. I am used to a thick pea soup but this was light and savory with a pure taste of fresh green peas. My entree was Spaetzle with zucchini and Baer case (sp.). A cheese similar to Brie. Again it was light in spite of the cheese and very good. Bob was surprised how much he enjoyed the pea soup and his wiener schnitzel was thin, tender and crispy to perfection. They served a cold potato salad that he didn't care for only because he doesn't like cold food. They also served a shredded cucumber that I can't wait to try at home. Brussels sprouts prepared perfectly! Excellent! And an aperitif of carrot and parsnip purée. Another home run. The only reason I can't imagine we won't return is because there are so many restaurants in New York and so little time. But highly recommend this one. Service was friendly and inviting.
Price for two was $132 plus tip. We both enjoyed cocktails but no dessert or coffee. Dinner was very filling.

1  Thank Caroline Y

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stopped in for a late lunch to try the 3 course menu. It was worth the stop. The food was tasty, well prepared and well served. The Austrian wine satisfied all. My selection of the 1st course of pork belly, parsnip puree with smoked apple foam was exceptional. The main course of spatzle with wild mushrooms and zucchini hit the spot but the portion was on the small side. For dessert I tried the crumbled caramelized pancakes with apple compote and I would not hesitate to order the exact items on a second visit. My wife found the Wiener Schnizel to be every
bit as good as those enjoyed in 4 visits to Vienna. All in all it was a good experience.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We tried Seasonal based on the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. It was a rainy, cold, and blustery day. I only mention this because when using my smart phone to navigate to Seasonal it kept trying to send me to 78th...be assured it is not. Anyway, wet and disheveled we arrived early and were warmly welcomed. The staff was friendly and the food was fabulous. Be sure to look at the menu ahead of time so you are not surprised when you get your bill. It was truly the best Austrian meal I've had since living in Europe but it was the most expensive ever. I am, however, glad I went. Loved it!

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Beware the map feature that might have you traipsing up to 78th street when in actuality, the restaurant is located on 58th!

Once you've found this intimate dining venue, be prepared for a very good meal and excellent service. I had the Wiener schnitzel and the husband had kaiser goulash, both excellent selections. Definitely missed the gravy, but the potato salad was excellent as were the Brussel sprouts. Apple streusel also missing the vanilla sauce, but excellent nevertheless. Reasonable price, but it's not a bargain meal. Nice venue for intimate meals, romantic duos or business meals. Not the best place for a boisterous family meal.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My friend suggested we have dinner here after his recent return from Vienna. The dinner started with a complimentary chef's "shot" of soup. This is clearly a place that is accustomed to serve a theater dinner, meaning fast but delicious. I took the easy road with mushroom spatzle which was delicious. My friend had the boiled meat with 3 sauces which he thoroughly enjoyed. We shared delicious Brussels sprouts and red cabbage which was on the sweet side. The Kaiserschmarm supposedly enjoyed daily by the last Kaiser is delicious and may think you to could rule Austria.