“Convenient location, helpful staff”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #237 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Convenient location, helpful staff”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Being a few blocks off of Times Square was very convenient for our first family trip to NYC. We walked to Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's, and Central Park. The room was fine (except no counter in the bathroom, but in NYC space is always in issue). It was clean and very modern. The staff was very friendly. We had vouchers for free drinks at the bar, and as we were the only ones there, the bartender gave us tips on family-friendly outings. The manager and bellmen were very attentive, too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rubin S, Hotel Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
The_Twit,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is with great pleasure to hear that you had a great time at our hotel. The staff will be so delighted to read this great review. We strive to ensure that every guest has the best possible stay with us. I invite you back to come stay with us when you travel back to New York. Thank you once again and I hope you have a great rest of the summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We really enjoyed our two-night stay in this hotel. Unbeatable location, clean and well appointed room, and a fair price for the category, especially given that it was a last-minute booking (and the hotel was quite full). Special commendations to the front-desk staff for their excellent service-- hospitable, helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
yazoo_10,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are always so happy to hear that our guest had such a great stay with us. We hope that your future travels will bring you back to New York and our hotel.
Stratford, UK
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Organised stay: when the credit card bill came hotel had 'authorised' the card by charging prior to arrival, the cost for one night, not once, but twice, claiming 'standard procedure'; this is allegedly to check the card is valid. None of my colleagues' cards were 'authorised' and we lost out twice because the exchange rate ensured we were charged more than the actual cost of the room for one night.

My colleague was also assured by reception that one night would be refunded due to two sleepless nights as a result of sleep deprivation from the close proximity of the Friday and Saturday night's disco. This wasn't honoured.

An email to the manager was passed over to the Front of House manager who basically didn't care. So that makes two senior employees who didn't care. There were no sympathetic tones, absolutely no attempt at an apology and basically said this is procedure. The matter of the refund was not addressed. Two emails and five phone calls were not returned. I'm not staying anywhere and I'm not booking colleagues in anywhere with Marriott in the title.

Room Tip: Far away from the weekend discos
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
L R,
First and Foremost, please accept my personal apologies regarding how your issue was handled. I would like to personally speak with you regarding this in a less public forum. If I could please request you give me a call at the hotel directly (212-967-9494) to further more discuss this pending issue.
Winter Garden, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had a meeting downtown, but wanted to play tourist for a few hours around Times Square so choose this property based upon price, location and solid ratings - and was very, very pleased! The hotel is modern, either new or recently upgraded, and just a couple of blocks from the heart of Times Square. I saw a play and only had to walk 2 blocks to get back at night. The street itself seems a little sketchy at first, however I never felt worried even at 11pm as plenty of stores/restaurants open around the clock, and many pedestrians and police around. Upon returning to the hotel, 2 nice security officers at the elevator checked for my key card to ensure that I was a guest.

The room was very clean and comfortable, the free WIFI worked great and bathroom very modern. The staff was very service oriented and even the housekeeper knocked on my door upon arrival and gave me extra bottles of water for my stay. After putting the water in my room, I went back out to the hall to give her a couple of bucks but she was gone. The breakfast was really good - Starbucks coffee, Florida Natural juices, and a variety of hot and cold food choices including scrambled eggs, sausage, oatmeal, etc. Bellman was able to quickly hail a cab to get me downtown for my work meeting.

I typically stay at Courtyards or Marriotts, so was a little worried about Fairfield Inn being more 'budget oriented' especially in NYC, however this hotel and their service was truly first class and I'd highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
rkalish12,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is great to hear that the hotel and its staff took care of all your needs during your stay with us. We hope that your future travels bring you back to New York and our hotel. Thank you once again for your review and we hope you have a great rest of the summer.
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It was only a few blocks from times square in the fashion district, and what seemed to be a bad area until you hit the hotels and realized that area was actually really nice and quite popular and bustling. However some of the businesses you pass are far from family friendly, but are easily ignorable. It was a short walk to times square, and the rooms were small, but had all you needed especially since you are supposed to be out and about all day. The elevator requires a key to take you up, but not down as a security reason, and they have employes watching the small lobby round the clock. The breakfast is free and really good and worth it. They have no problem watching your bags in a secure room while you spend your last morning out and about. They also gave free internet into the rooms with some good channels on tv, but the view depending on where you are is just of the neighboring office building. It was a great stay, but the elevator was slow, especially when one of the three wasn't working at breakfast time and took 12 minutes to get downstairs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HoodedChiWarrior
HoodedChiWarrior,

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Loved this hotel. So central to everything with a great breakfast to start the day. Just across the road from port authority bus station to Newark airport for $16. We stayed for 9 nights in hot and humid July.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Anitiaf,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

New York City is very expensive for hotel rooms, so this hotel is relatively inexpensive. It's across from the Port Authority Bus Station, and a short walk from Times Square. It's very convenient to the subway (blue and red lines), restaurants and so on. It has a complimentary breakfast, which is a real breakfast. Unfortunately, there was quite a crowd waiting to get into the breakfast area, so I had to pass, my time was limited.

My son was with me, and he is disabled, so we had a wheelchair accessible room. It was a bit tight, but large enough to pull the chair in and get access to the bathroom. If you have an extra wide wheelchair, you will have problems - of course if you have an extra wide wheelchair you will find the entire city a problem.

They provide two levels of wi-fi with the room, one complimentary, and one you pay for. I went with the complimentary and had no problems with access. We even were able to watch a TV show through Amazon Prime with no problem.

The staff was helpful, and the hotel is very secure. The neighborhood was as I remember it very seedy in the 70's, but it is fine now. We were out until almost midnight, and found no problems in the neighborhood itself.

My only complaint is it had a worthless business center - it consisted of a couple computers setting on a counter with a printer underneath. The computers would only let me on Marriott's website, which did me no good at all - I was trying to get online to print out my e-tickets from Amtrak. The concierge let me use her computer. Also, the "business center" has your back to the line of people getting into the restaurant. This could be improved.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank George0412
George0412,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I’m happy to hear that staff and hotel amenities where to you and your son’s satisfaction. We will also look into the comments about the business center and address on how we can make further improvements. Thank you once again for staying with us and we hope to see you soon on your future travels to New York City.