“Lovely hotel appaling staff”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cork, Ireland
“Lovely hotel appaling staff”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in February, the room is nice breakfast is only ok, however the location is great. Only downside is the staff. From the moment we checked in and they wrongly insisted no payment had been made forcing us to double pay. When they discovered their mistake they did not inform us of this and only after three confrontations with them did they acknowledge it. The following morning at breakfast two cleaning staff were shouting at residents as there was a spillage on the floor they were trying to clean. One of them said to the other, and I quote "stupid people."
I have never seen such ignorance in my life!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rubin S, Assistant General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Aoife_373,
I’m sad to hear that your stay was less than perfect. I believe that we have talked about your current issues and I’m happy to say that we have looked into them and they have been corrected. Thank you once again for bringing those items to our attention and we hope to see you again at our hotel. Have a great rest of the week!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arlington VA
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Needed to make a quick one night trip to NYC and chose this hotel based on location and the rate. I had a room with two double beds and was pleasantly surprised by the size compared to other NYC hotels I have stayed in. The room was clean and the it looked like the bathroom was recently remodeled - the shower was great. The location is a couple blocks off of Times Square which is nice as you leave a little of the noise behind. I was traveling as a single female and didn't feel uncomfortable in the area. But it is NYC, so pay attention to your surroundings. Easy walk to 42nd Street subway for most subway lines and I walked over to Penn Station as it was a nice day when I was catching the amtrak train back home. The evening happy hour, free breakfast, and free wi-fi were a bonus too! The staff was was pleasant and courteous.. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Eriny44
Eriny44,
Thank you for your review about our hotel. It was a pleasure to have read such a great review. I’m glad the hotel and its staff were able to make your stay enjoyable. When you come back to visit New York City, make sure you come and stay with us again! Thank you again and have a great rest of the week.
Oregon
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Location: the location is in Times Square where all the actions are (and within walking distance). Just be aware that there is also a Fairfield Inn and Suites on W37 (location wise) and make sure you're going to the right hotel, that's all. The hotel is also very close to Ports Authority (about 2 blocks away). So.. you can either take a big coach bus or a shuttle (like Super Shuttle) to get to this hotel. But if you rather take a taxi, it's important to know that JFK < > Manhattan is on a flat rate basis. Currently, it's $52 + tolls + voluntary gratuity. Don't let the cab driver uses the meter on you. Also, make sure you ask the driver before you hop in the cab that their credit card machine works. I've had an encounter in the past where the driver said the credit card machine is "allegedly" broken and I had to rush inside the airport to get cash to pay for my fare. It's also a good idea to write down the cab's number and driver's name in case there are any problems.
Location: the hotel is next to some adult stores (on the same side). Customers who go in and out of these stores don't bother anyone. Just don't make eye contacts and don't stare at them. If you really feel uncomfortable, cross the street.
Location: There's a newly opened Lot-less store a few stores down from the hotel (on the same side). They sell everything, pretty good quality, really cheap. I bought a couple of adult baseball caps and they only cost $1.99 each. Unbelievable!!
Location: Subway stations close by. Depending on where you go, make sure you get in the right station.
Staff: Friendly and nice.
Breakfast: Free with a variety of choices.
Internet: Complimentary. There is also a choice for $4.95 (not certain but I think it's per day) if you have large downloads. I chose the free Internet and it's fast and good enough for my needs.

A couple of things I don't like about this hotel:
1. I was told by a hotel staff that this is the only Marriott that puts a one night hold on your credit card before you check-in. (I didn't cancel my reservation after the booking deadline). I didn't receive any advanced notification that they're going to do it. I just feel that the hotel doesn't trust me.
2. Door: As rooms are close to each other, when someone closes the room door behind them, you could hear a loud bang.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank OregonTraveler9999
Rubin S, Assistant General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
OregonTraveler9999,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. I was pleased to have read your review. It’s because of reviewers such as you that let future guest know what to expect and the amenities that we offer. We strive to make sure our guests are satisfied with every aspect of their stay. When you’re back in NY, please feel free to be our guest again. Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon.
Rhode Island
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had to be in NYC for 1 night for an event and I'm glad I picked this hotel. Nice room that look new or newly renovated. Staff was super helpful, from front desk staff helping me with my tie, to one of guys working in the lobby running down a cab down for me, to another guy taking me to my room after I checked out to get my phone (which I had forgotten) so I didn't have to wait at the front desk. Within walking distance or quick cab ride from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. Really enjoyed my stay and the service was excellent, as was the rate! I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Theojohn64
Theojohn64,

I hope your event was a great success! It was with great pleasure to have read your review. I will be sharing this exciting feedback with all of the staff here at the Fairfield Inn Times Square. I’m glad that the staff and our amenities where to your satisfaction. We can’t wait to have you come back to stay with us again! Thank you and hope to see you soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I ALWAYS stay here whenever I am in NYC!! The staff is amazing as always and after not staying there for quite some time, the staff remembered me, knew my preferences, everyone greeted me and had an awesome stay! I love this hotel and its the only place I will stay when I'm in Manhattan!

Room Tip: If you do not want to hear the roof top bar, stay on the lower floors. The front desk will ALWAYS t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rubin S, Assistant General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Joe G,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. It is always great to read comments such as yours. The staff takes pride to ensure that we turn our hotel into your “Favorite Place” to stay while in New York City. Our main priority is to make sure that every guest is taken care of while with us. We will continue this for you and all of our guest that visit us. Thank you once again and we will see you on your next visit to the Big Apple.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

First let me say prior too staying at this location, I read many negative reviews in regards to rudeness of the staff. I'm happy to report that was not the case the last 2 times I have stayed here, as matter of fact quite the opposite!

I'm a platinum member with Marriott and have stayed at almost every Marriott Property in Manhatten( Marquis, Renissance, East Side, Courtyard SoHo, Uptown, Times Square, Etc....and this is my new favorite to stay at.

Great location and walking distance to everything( Broadway shows, Times Square, Restuarants, Bars, etc. The GM really stepped it up with the Staff and the turn around from what I have seen is terrific...

Breakfast was also excellent and Free!

Also Alexa at the front desk is awesome!!!! She took great care of me and my family when we stayed for our wedding anniversary this past December.

Best Value for Marriott points in Manhatten!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Jarry24
Jarry24,

Thank you for your review. It was with great pleasure to myself and the staff to have read the amazing stay you had with us. I’m glad to know that the staff and the hotel have always made sure that they take care of you and your guest. Our business is to strive to make your journey from home feel like home. Whenever you’re back in New York, you always have a place to stay with us!
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 30, 2013

1) Check in announced at 3PM. Within check in only one room was ready at arrival. Next after one hour to wait (and downgraded to king size instead two double). Third room ready after two hours. No excuse provided from Front Desk.
2) One day no cleaning in the room.
3) Breakfast area to small for such big hotel. Need stay 5-10 min to have a sit.

For the rest typical Mariott.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
regaffman,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. The three points that you mentioned regarding your check in, housekeeping service, and breakfast are being reviewed to see where each process could be enhanced to better serve our guest. I do apologize that these items affected your stay, but know that they will be corrected. Our hotel and Marriott as a brand work as a team to make sure that every guest is satisfied with their stay. We hope that when you’re back in New York, you will let us show you that we truly can make your stay enjoyable!