“Great place to stay!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #249 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was very hesitant to stay here because of the price but decided to do it anyway....so glad I did! It was a very pleasant stay. I lived in NY for 4 yrs & came back after 2 yrs for a friend's wedding in Long Island but we wanted to stay in the City for 3 days.

Anyway, this place was more than what I expected. Free breakfast everyday (not just continental either). The free breakfast saved us a lot since NY itself can be pricey. The room was small but as expected in any hotels in NY, so I guess I'd have to say, the size was decent.

Pro
The staff was pleasant, breakfast good & location, location, location!!! You can not beat the location of this hotel! Its walking distance to the subway, Times Square, restaurants, etc.

Con
PARKING: They have no valet parking nor a parking structure. But I guess its ok because there is a parking structure just beside the hotel that works with the hotel for discounted parking ($28) with plenty of space. But if you didnt know this, then you would get stuck parking elsewhere paying at least $40/night.

RESTAURANT: Not that it matters because literally you are steps away from restaurants in the city but if you were lazy to get up & walk, it'd be nice to have a restaurant in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask where their parking is located, they work with a parking structure beside them for way cheaper c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank wanderlust1979
Rubin S, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

wanderlust1979,

First and foremost, congratulations to your friend’s marriage! We are glad that you and your guest’s choose Fairfield Inn & Suites Times Square for your trip to the city. It is always exciting to have ex-New Yorker’s come back to visit.

Thank you so much for the excellent comments in your review. I’m glad that the staff was there to make sure your trip was a great success (including ensuring that you got the discounted parking for staying with us). We can’t wait for you to come back and visit us again.

We wish you Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed December 16, 2012

To say I was a bit nervous to stay at this Fairfield after reading all the reviews here on Trip Advisor is an understatement. After reading the reviews, I called the manager, Carlos, and told him of my concerns. What I very much appreciated is that he didn't try to ignore/minimize prior issues but focused on what the hotel had done to resolve the issues. We discussed the issues that concerned me:
1) bedbugs - he told me that they address this anytime it has come up and have regular pest control service come to the hotel.
2) canceled reservations - I was coming in at 10:00 PM and couldn't afford to have my reservation canceled. He looked up my reservation and said they had it noted I was coming in late and my reservation was guaranteed.
3) neighborhood - I didn't bring this up as I am very familiar with the neighborhood. When my New Jersey friends come in, they always park at Port Authority and I meet them there. As such, I am comfortable with the neighborhood. That said, there are a couple of adult stores and the parole board office is nearby. I stayed on a Friday night/Saturday and neither bothered me, but understand that others may have different feelings.
4) breakfast - Since I am in NY, my preference was to go eat at a diner - Carlos provided me with an excellent recommendation. I didn't even check the breakfast the hotel served.
5) noise from the nightclub - This was the only issue I had with the hotel. I was trying to drop off to sleep and it was VERY loud at 2:30 AM - my room being on 31st floor. This is the reason the hotel received a 4 star ranking from me instead of 5 stars. When I mentioned to Carlos in the morning, he acknowledged that there had been noise complaints - was very apologetic and asked if I had complained last night. I told him I had not as I didn't feel like getting up to do so.

Rooms - I had a room with 2 double beds and while a bit on the small side was comfortable and clean. IMO the hotel made an excellent use of the space they had for the rooms. The bathroom only had a stand up shower but it was VERY nice! Since I don't need a tub this was just fine. The sink could have had more room for toiletries but again you can only do so much with the space you have.

Staff - They were very pleasant to me. Carlos went above and beyond in assuaging my concerns and ensuring my stay was enjoyable. So while I believe that others have had hotel stays that have been sub-par, mine was very good. If your travels bring you to NY, I would recommend giving the hotel a chance. Call the manager ahead of time and state your concerns and see how they react. My guess is that your stay will be as good as mine.

Room Tip: I had room 3103 - double beds with a city view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LA_Travelers_1

LA_Travelers_1,

I was very excited to read your review of our hotel. It takes great pleasure to know that Carlos assisted you in anyway possible to ensure you had a great stay. We strive to make sure that every guest that stay’s with us has an amazing stay. If there are questions or concerns prior or during a guest stay, our Front Office staff is always there to assist.

On your next stay with us, please let us know immediately if you have any concerns with your stay such as the noise level that affected your night’s sleep. Our team is there to accommodate and ensure we correct this to your satisfaction.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the Fairfield from 7-11 December 2012 and we had no problems here whatsoever. when we arrived our room was ready and the reception team were friendly not just on this occasion but through-out our trip. we got a room on the 8th floor, room 807 to be precise and whilst it wasn't the biggest room it wasn't a major issue and to be honest we was out most of the day pounding pavements and having fun in a great city like New York. We had breakfast downstairs in the hotel and it was a little crowded but we always got a place to sit and eat and the options were scrambled eggs, sausages, English muffins, bagels, fruit, cereal and yogarts, not a bad choice really.

I've read on tripadvisor about the street this hotel is on with a parole office and a sex shop but i never felt in the slighest bit of danger, it really was not a problem.
The hotel was close to all the attractions and that was a good point, good base to explore NYC.
I/we have nothing bad to say about the hotel and if/when we visit New York again i would have no fears about stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deano23

Deano23,

I’d like to personally thank you for staying with us during your trip to the great city of New York. I’m glad to hear that you had a great time at our hotel and city.

When you decide to come back to visit us back in the “Big Apple”, we would like for you and your visitors to stay with us once again! Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been staying at Marriott hotels for last 15 years in the US while being on the road least 6 months a year for consulting job, this hotel is the worst among all. Last week, two small cockroaches (see photo) were roaming on my bed in when I woke up, staff was cold and least interested in providing an alternative room despite my platinum status with marriott. This week, I had to stay in this same hotel due to room rate limits from work, woke up with bed bug bites all over my arms and back and am still suffering for last 4 days. Hotel staff found bed bug signs on the blanket and sheets when I asked them to check. Air conditioning was also faulty in the room, kept going back to 75 degrees by itself all night due to faulty motion detector system....I canceled my next two months of reservations on this hotel after this experience and will never stay here again......advise everyone to stay away as well....you may be lucky most weeks but it may not take long to run into one of their bed bug or cockroach laden rooms. If guest rooms have this horrible state of hygiene and maintenance, I do not want to think how their kitchens might be behind the doors and eat that food.......Also, I discovered that this is a franchised hotel and not owned and run by Marriott themselves.....

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on 10th and 25th floor where I found 2 small cockroaches on my bed and was bitten by bed...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank R A
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Times Square. Your concerns are certainly understandable given the experience you described, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The resurgence of bed bugs in the United States over the last five years is a widely-recognized problem. This problem has affected not only the hotel industry, but hospitals, college dormitories and private multiple dwellings, as well. It is suspected that this resurgence is a direct result of increased international travel to and from the United States, since bed bugs are easily transported in suitcases,purses and clothing, among other things.

To address this growing problem, Marriott mandates an aggressive pest control policy, which includes regularly scheduled professional inspections and, if necessary, elimination protocols. We have also implemented a thorough training program for our housekeeping and maintenance personnel to assist in the early recognition of an infestation. These standard procedures require that the room in which you stayed be quarantined and that it remain quarantined until a thorough inspection by professionals can be conducted. I want to assure you that we have fully implemented the policy and protocols here at the Fairfield Inn Times Square.

I would like to point out, however, that we most definitely do not had cockroaches in this hotel.

Given the nature of our business, it is our expressed commitment to make every guest experience an enjoyable one; and we regret that your recent stay did not live up to that commitment. Your comfort and satisfaction are very important to us, and we value you as our guest. Accordingly, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your situation further in a non-public forum by calling me at 646-666-4600.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was not looking forward to staying here, I usually like a little more high end properties and like to stay downtown. But the prices that week in the city were absurd and I basically had no choice. I was also a little worried about the reviews I had read.
To start- the front desk staff was outstanding. Very curteous, friendly, super nice, I can't say enough. Check in was no problem and whenever I needed anything, they were helpful. Bell staff the same, super friendly and helpful. Great job.

The room- it was on the small side, but totally fine and functional. I had no view, but honestly, I left for work early and was back late, never had a chance to care. The bed was fine, a little hard, pillows were good. Starbucks coffee in the room, flat screen TV, free internet access. The shower was great! Also, being off the street was good, no street noise and I slept very well.
I didn't eat the free breakfast, just grabbed some coffee, so can't comment on that, but it looked like plenty of folks were taking advantage of it. Never made it up to the sky bar, wish I did.

The area is a little sketchy, even for me. I used to live in the city and know it well. But there are peep show places, adult video stores on the block as you walk towards 8th ave as well as a parole office. The bus station brings all sorts in the area anyway. With that said, no problems, no one hassled and I didn't see anything worrisome. It's the real NY, gritty and kind of cool. Once you cross over 8th ave, it's Timesquare area. There are loads and loads of restaurants on 9th ave, so you'll never be short on that. The subway is up the block on 8th ave, very convenient.

All in all it was much better than I expected. I would choose it again and be just fine with it. I'm just not a big fan of midtown. Thanks for a really nice stay!

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Our thanks to you for taking the time in writing about our hotel and your experiences while staying with us. Our staff takes great pleasure in all that they do for our guests and it shows through your comments. The location is truly fantastic. Unfortunately the stores that you were talking about have been here years before we got to this area and we are making every effort in trying to move them away from this block. A lot of changes have already been made over the last 4 years which has made this street so much more appealing.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

There are only 4 suites at this entire hotel so the name is misleading. The location is great, the hotel rooms are not. We moved after one night to the Ritz at Battery Park.

There is one ice maker for the entire hotel and it is on the basement level.

Breakfast is included and was decent but crowded.

Location is good for shopping.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel and your recent stay with us. I was upset to learn that you were not happy with your room which are standard size for New York City. Yes, you are absolutely right about the ice machine. We are in the process of coming up with a solution which would actually include the staff delivering ice to your room when requested. We are truly very well located; close to shopping, fantastic restaurants and public transportation. When in town again we would insist that you try us again and stay in one of our suites. You may contact me directly for this pupose at 646-666-4600.
Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

When they advertise this as Time Square they are so kidding. As stated in other reviews, this hotel is not in the best section of town with the Parole Board and bus station within a block.

We also ordered a car from the hotel to pick us up at the airport @ 5:30AM. We waited for a least 1/2 hour and no car. I called the hotel and was given the number of the car service to take care of it myself. When I called the car service they said they had never received the order. We took a cab and saved $40. When we got to the hotel Jason the bell person was very apologetic and said the car went to the wrong airport , really? He did offer to have extra Marriott points added to my account for the inconvience but I have yet to see them on my statement.

The only good thing I can say about this stay is Yvette the Breakfast ambassador was extremely helpful and always had a smile on her face!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends