“The Pluses Outweigh the Minuses, Stay Here!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #236 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Franklin, Massachusetts
“The Pluses Outweigh the Minuses, Stay Here!”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights mid-week and had a wonderful experience. The staff was friendly and helpful, the facilities spotlessly clean, and the location convenient even though it is on a seedy section of 40th St. It is sandwiched between two other nice hotels, though, so there are quite a few travelers walking that way so its not deserted. But, the area still might turn some people off as you have to walk by a sketchy liquor store and some peep shops to get to the hotel. But just look the other way because once you are in the hotel that disappears. The lobby is really slick with white marble floors and banquettes and chairs upholstered with a glam metallic sheen fabric. And there is a nice fireplace in the lobby too! The breakfast area in the back is also very nicely appointed and converts to a friendly bar at 5PM; lots of TV's to watch sports and news. We enjoyed the free wine and beer on the Tues. and Wed. nights we were there, and they put out food too. Granite counters in the bar and bathrooms are a nice updated touch. The breakfast in the morning was very busy but had everything you'd want; eggs, sausage, breakfast sandwiches, fruits, yogurts, juices, baked goods...the staff running it was really on the ball with the refills too. There is free coffee/tea/hot chocolate down there 24/7 too and everyone makes good use of that throughout the day.
My overall impression of the way this hotel is run is that they know you might not stay there again if they don't get things right, (so many options!) so the staff are going out of their way to accommodate people. Great attitude! Our room was small but as I mentioned, very clean, and had a great view on the 27th floor. N
ow here is a curious thing. On the top floor of the hotel there is a rooftop nightclub. So starting at 6PM one of the elevators is commandeered by serious looking bouncers and a velvet rope goes up cordoning off a section of the lobby as a coatroom and security check area for nightclub goers. This did not present a problem to us, it was just unusual. One night we did drop our teen off in our room and go up for a drink to check it out (no cover charge on Tuesday night!). It was not crowded at that time but still the folks at the club were very different that the businessman/tourist crowd who stays at the hotel! Being 50-somethings we felt a bit out of place but enjoyed our martinis (don't even want to know what they cost, my friend expensed them, but judging by the fact that in the casual "breakfast area bar" downstairs a martini is $21, I shudder to think). If you are staying there on a night when there is no cover charge and you can go up early before there's a line, I would definitely check this place out for the views are breathtaking with floor to ceiling glass in some areas. It is something to see. And if you are a club-goer type then this is really a great hotel for you to stay at because you'll be right there!
But I digress from the hotel. I will absolutely stay there again. It is great value, great location, clean, near fun things, nice people. A favorite for the Times Square area., Though we took public transportation to the city, this hotel is also right across the street from Port Authority with the best deal on parking I've found in NYC so if you drive in check that out. I was torn about whether to give 4 or 5 stars because nothing is perfect and the location and tiny room thing are a bit of a drag. But because the price is so good, the location so convenient, and it is so clean and well-run, I gave it a 5.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor so you get a view!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cindy8
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I am so glad that our recently renovated lobby leaves a lasting impression. Considering the diverse group of guests we accommodate, we strive to provide a variety of amenities and I'm glad to hear it didn't go unnoticed. With regard to the surrounding area, all of the hotels on the block have been working together with the city to make improvements. More changes are on the horizon and we look forward to having a more family friendly block. Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Times Square and for taking the time to write such a fantastic review. We hope we have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed here over the Christmas break, and it was a wonderful property for $170/night for two double beds, which is quite good for Manhattan. Upon arriving, I parked at the off site parking next door and checked in. The lobby was well appointed, with a breakfast buffet at the back, which serves yogurt, bagels, fruit, and cereal, and coffee is available 24/7. The area gets VERY crowded after 8 am so I would advise going early, or getting the food and eating somewhere else. The rooms have comfortable beds, and are of adequate size, and have wired internet, which was OK, but wifi would have been better. Staff were attentive and friendly, and the night manager personally tried to correct a problem with the internet connection I was having in my room.

Room Tip: Book a room on the other side of the main entrance
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Alex L
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We were glad to learn that we were able to make your stay with us productive and comfortable. With regards to the wireless in the rooms, the biggest news that we have is that we will be going wireless and wired by March 31 in all the rooms and public spaces.
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Small room no refrigerator no wifi in room while we were there(but if you see the site...) small breakfast area long wait 10th floor for the elevator smal lobby and weekend nights we have to share with the people goingo to the roof bar - we arriving wiht family pós dinner and "hot" girls sitting by the fireplace...Door safe damaged took 1 day to fix...Room not made 4 pm...Transfer SUV to JFK flat rate but the driver with angry face when I paid the amount guy on the lobby told me to. Noisy door 1007 when closes.

Room Tip: Higher floors less wait for elevators Get down to Breakfast before the last minute or no bread !!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
We have some great news to share with everyone. We will have a state of the art WiFi and wired system (complimentary as always) in all the rooms and public areas by the end of March. This service will be offered by IBM. Sorry about the long wait for the elevators. It does get busy during peak hours of the day. We will look in to the comment about the angry driver and the fact that the door to 1007 is making a noise. Thank you.
Maryland
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I've stayed all over NYC at a bunch of hotels and this is a decent hotel. The rooms are not huge, and the location is a lot more Port Authority than it is Times Square, but for the price it was decent.

The room was clean, but with 2 double beds it was a little tight. A Queen or King bed in that room would have been better, but we were with our 2 kids, so we needed the 2 beds.

The Breakfast was good and is included in the room rate, no extra charge. This is a big plus.

The main negative is that the hotel services tour groups on buses, so when they come in or go out there is a flood of people in the lobby and at breakfast. I imagine if you are going in or out when the tour groups have moved on the hotel will feel more empty, but when the large groups are in the breakfast area or lobby it feels crowded.

$28 overnight parking (for up to a total of 25 hours - yes 25 hours) next door is very reasonably priced for NYC. Make sure you get your parking ticket stamped by the hotel's front desk.

Overall we liked it. Our kids (7 and 8) who have not stayed in a lot of hotels thought it was "the best hotel on the planet".

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Comments are much appreciated as this helps us in every way to improve on our service even more. Tour groups in any hotel is an important factor of doing business. Yes, it does get a little tight when the lobby or breakfast area fills up, but it just makes the lobby more lively and full of energy. It is really a great deal at the garage based on what you could be paying in NYC. Come back and visit is again and bring your kids who have named us "the best hotel on the planet."
We are so centrally located just a short walking distance to all major stores and restaurants and other places of interest.
Virginia
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I am a frequent traveler - indeed I am Marriott Platinum - but I rarely comment when staying at a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn as they are all so similar. However, this hotel is a gem.

1. Great Location
2. Great service - more below
3. Usually a great price (I am sure it varies a bit seasonally) for NYC and this central location.
4. Nice size rooms. Not huge, but a little bigger than many NY hotels - especially at this price.

I was here with three rooms (my family, my sister and my mother) and everything was great. We checked in at different times and had to check luggage and the bellman (wish I could remember his name) was a star. Checking in when my mom was waiting in the lobby, remembering names, giving directions. Truly better than I have seen at many a five star hotel.

Unfortunately, my daughter had to be hospitalized that night. We called the front desk and 2 minutes later they had a doctor on the phone. The doctor gave us GREAT advice "If you call an ambulance you will go to an overcrowded hospital that gets most of the crime/worst incidents. Get a cab and go to NY Presbyterian." We called the front desk and mere minutes later the night manager was at our door with a wheelchair and when we got the lobby they had a cab waiting. On the elevator I pulled out some money for tips/taxi and then manager just looked at me and said "No - this is what we do - just get to the hospital." When we got back at 6am the next morning (my daughter okay) everybody greeted us and asked how we were.

Great Location and Great Service at a Great Price. This is the place to stay in NY.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
What pleased me the most about your comments was the fact that you and your family were well taken care of. If you read this reply, we all hope that your daughter is feeling well and is back to her normal daily activities. We are extremely proud of our staff and in the way that they interact with our guests.
Once again, thank you for your very kind words which will be shared with my staff.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have stayed here on several business trips and find the price and location a great deal. I usually fly into Newark and catch the train to Penn Station and take the E train and you find yourself within a few steps of the hotel entrance. Very easy for getting around the city. My only complaints are the elevators can take some time to get during busy hours and the lobby can become congested at times.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
fairfieldinn330, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We appreciate your comments. Yes, the elevators can run a little slow at times during peak hours of the day. We actually have a weight system in each elevator so that it runs express once it exceeds the determined weight. We hope that this will alleviate the situation a little.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Clean, modern, and close. We live in PA and take the bus into the city. There is a side door in the PABT that is across the street from the hotel, this is great when traveling with luggage. It is only a short safe walk to times square. The subway stop is at the corner. If it is raining you can walk underground to times square!

Room Tip: The end of a hall might be a good choice
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. Yes, we a close to all major destinations in NYC. The biggest advantage is that we are half a block away from all major subway stations that can be reached through a network of underground tunnels. This works the best on very cold days or when it is raining or snowing. There is a side entrance into the Port Authority which also leads the subways and buses. Inside the Port Authority there is also an array of beautiful stores.