“Terrible!!”

Ranked #321 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Terrible!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

If I could, I would rate this hotel zero stars. My parents came to United States for their first time to visit me in Washington D.C . and we had decided to take a trip and spend a night in New York City. I booked 2 reservations for my parents, myself, and my husband through a third party website. Soon after, I received a confirmation letter. In that letter was a confirmation number confirming that the room was paid for in full. I would have expected to have had zero problems upon arriving. However, that was not the case. I arrived not long after their check in time and at my check in the front desk agent tells me that they did not have my reservation on file. Even though I presented her my confirmation letter, she insisted that she did not have my reservation. So I asked for the manager. I believe her name is Briana . She came out and told me something completely different. She told me that they were oversold and that they had another hotel for us to stay. I was furious because I booked these reservations well in advance. I told the manager repeatedly that I did not want to go anywhere else and that they were not allowed to place me somewhere else since the confirmation letter said it had been paid in full. Eventually, I had to give in. I had spent the whole afternoon trying to check us in. All in all, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank NaEL123
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
I sincerely apologize that you had such an unpleasant experience while in NYC. We just started working with the company you booked with and we let them know that we were sold out that week, due to United Nations. We never confirmed the reservation and we were told that they would re-book you at another hotel and let you know of the alternate accommodations. When we contacted them upon your arrival, no other arrangements had been made and they asked us to assist finding other accommdations. We did want to make sure you were taken care of and personally made the arrangements for accommodations and transportation.

I hope that you would give our hotel another opportunity to serve you.

Gwen Lytle
Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Comfort Inn - Manhattan Bridge was a pleasant place to stay and very convenient to NYC subway, B and D lines. A trip the metro was only 15-20 minutes to Times Square and midtown Manhattan. The hotel was quiet, which was helpful for getting a good night's sleep, and the bathroom was very well appointed. The room itself was quite tight, with not a lot of room around the bed. Breakfast was decent, with a waffle maker, cereals, fresh fruit, bread and spreads, pastries and juice concentrate. Overall, value for money and good for short stays.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Keegan B
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the hotel, so future guests can choose a good hotel for their needs. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

nuneaton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The Comfort Inn is conveniently located for a number of attractions on Manhattan Island and a block away from the nearest subway meaning you can get anywhere easily. Rooms are comfortable and well furnished and well worth the price paid. Staff are extremely courteous and helpful. Would stay here again if in NYC.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben B
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your kind words of the staff and hotel. I will certainly share your review with my team so we can continue to do things well. We look forward to your next stay.

Ronneby, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is a 2 star hotel, but there are a lot of value in those stars. Friendly staff, very nice rooms and perfect situated close to Chinatown and Little Italy. 1 block away from Grand Street subway station which will take you fast and easy to any of the major sights in midtown and uptown. No problems getting to downtown either, but you'll either have to walk a bit longer or do some subway station hopping. The hotel provides a free continental breakfast which gives you a good start. Not maybe the best continental breakfast you've seen, but you'll find enough. For a 2-star hotel, it is above average standard to me. Plastic plates, knifes and forks may not give you the best impressions, neither the seating area for the breakfast which is in the lobby. Often crowded and it might be hard to find a seat. The bed I got was very high. Probably around 1m. Took a bit of "climbing" to get up, but the bed is comfy. AC in the room - worked perfectly even if somewhat noicy but you have access to the control panel. All in all - a very good choice. Recommended!

Room Tip: Low numbered (x01-x02) rooms have windows towards the street and the park. A nice view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the staff and location. I will certainly share you kind words with my team. We do appreciate your comments about the breakfast as we are always looking for ways to improve it in the small space we work with. The hotel does not have space for a dishwasher and storage of dishware, so we use the disposable dishes.

Please stay with us the next time you are in NYC.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was a 4 night stay in NYC for myself and my retired parents who were in America for the first time. We had a terrible taxi driver from Newark airport who spoke poor English and could not operate the GPS! As well as being rude he dropped us off 4 blocks from the hotel due to his incompetence. Too be honest I was glad to get out of the vehicle as his driving was dangerous. Taxi cost from Newark airport was $60-00 plus an additional $18-00 in tolls.

We got off to a bad start but thankfully the hotel was a pleasant surprise upon arrival and overall we were very satisfied with the Comfort Inn in lower Manhattan in Chinatown. I selected this hotel as it was middle of the range, anything more and the cost becomes staggeringly expensive, that's Manhattan for you! Reception were very helpful and gave us our rooms without fuss, I believe it was Paul and Johel on duty who were very pleasant and helpful. The rooms were not particularly spacious but were adequate with en-suite, tv, tea & coffee facilities. Unlike European hotels the safe works and is in the room at no extra charge. The beds were firm and surprisingly I slept very well, even though I always find it difficult to get any sleep in a hotel room on the 1st night. There was an assortment of toiletries. Not much of a view from our window but on the up side there was no noise in the corridor in the early hours of the morning. Wi-fi was available in the room at no charge, imagine that, free, in the room! It was a bit slow at times but generally worked well. I did not load up any photos of the room or the hotel, but those on trip advisor are accurate. Cost was $300 per night. The cost included breakfast, which was better than I expected. Often breakfast at a big city hotel in America can be little more than coffee and a bagel but there was actually a decent choice of cereals, breads, drinks, yoghurts and fruit. There is no designated breakfast room or dining room, rather its in the lobby, and tends to be less busy the earlier you start. After 8-30 it tends to get a bit congested.
I have no real complaints about the Comfort Inn hotel and could recommend it. If I was returning to Chinatown again I would probably stay at this hotel, the Comfort Inn is a good choice. The only minor irritation was the condition of the carpet in my room as well as my parents, it needed deep cleaned at the very least, or more probably replaced due to staining. Overall good hotel and right beside the Grand Street subway station.

If I can offer traveler information or be of assistance, I am happy to be contacted via the trip advisor web mail. Hopefully you found this review helpful, if so please remember to click the 'yes' button at the bottom of the page. Bon voyage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank smakibbfb
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your stay in NYC. Your review was a great overview to assist future guests in making an educated decision. My apologies that your cab ride was not a pleasant one. The Taxis in NYC are city regulated, so it is important not to use the gypsy cabs - only use the yellow taxi with "NYC" on them. If you have a problem with a NYC taxi you can take down the driver's number posted with their photo on the seat behind the driver and all "311" to report bad behavior. NYC understands your NYC experience is based upong every aspect and they do listen and address these reports.

I will certainly pass along your positive comments on Paul and Johel to them and the rest of the staff. They are a very caring staff that want to contribute to a positive stay at our hotel.

We are glad to hear you would return to our hotel. We hope to see you again!

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Looking for a hotel in Manhattan that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Well, you can look no further, as this clean, convenient hotel is a great choice. The staff are professional and welcoming, and the rooms are as others have stated, large for New York City. The bathrooms stylish and spacious as well. The bed was comfy and very tall! For those who are vertically challenged it is a bit of a climb to get in - just made us laugh. Breakfast is ample and typical of this class of hotel; convenient but you are not missing much if you prefer to go elsewhere to eat. The subway is close and the location across from a park provides a lot of opportunities to walk and people watch. It is also an easy walk to Little Italy, SoHo, Nolita, the Lower East Side. Lots of dining options of any type. So why not a perfect score? Well here are the nit-picking negatives: The Chinatown bus stop next door can create a bit of a crowd to work through to get to the door. A lack of drawers to unpack into can be a bit of a pain for a longer stay (ours was a week). The addition of a small stool or table in the bathroom could come in handy due to a shortage of horizontal surfaces in the bathroom. As some have stated the wifi can be a bit slow, but are you really in New York to surf the net? An upper floor room guarantees no street noise, not that there would be any on a lower floor, but you can also get a nice view. All in all a great affordable choice in a great part of town.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor and a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the many details to assist others in selecting the perfect hotel for their trip to NYC. It is my pleasure to pass along your kind words about the cleanliness and "professional" staff.

We hope to see you the next time you are in NYC.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed with my husband and a friend couple. The hotel and attention was perfect. Is clean and close to everything.
Rooms, tidy and updated. Breakfast very good. The service and hotel staff deserves a 5-star for dedication.
I would come back there any time, We enjoyed our stay -specially at that time of the year- and I would recommend it to everybody!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your kind words about our hotel and staff. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in NYC.