“Service was ok, but rooms were disgusting” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge

Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
Ranked #319 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Service was ok, but rooms were disgusting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I am completely dumbfounded at the positive reviews, especially for the cleaning at this hotel. My husband I and arrived at our hotel room, and as soon as we opened the door, the smell of mildew and mold overwhelmed us. The air was so thick with the smell that it was hard to breathe. Upon inspecting the room we found hairs all over the sheets, water stains all over the curtains, lampshades, and chairs, and holes in the in the curtains as well. I've never called to complain on a situation in my life, but I couldn't take it-it was just so disgusting. I called down to the desk, and they were very apologetic, and moved us to a better room right away at no additional charge-that was greatly appreciated!!
Although it was not near as bad, the run-down atmosphere was the same in the 2nd room. Sunlight came through the holes in the curtains in the morning, and I could still smell mildew in the bathroom, although not near as bad. The hanging rods were broken in both closets, and it only took my husband 3 minutes to fix it. To me, it was just simple maintenance and cleaning that were greatly, greatly missed in this hotel.
The last thing, and this was just annoying and rude, is the parking situation at this hotel. They only accept cash, and as we were leaving, the man that handled our car actually demanded a tip!! He said, "Tip, you need to give me a tip." We were floored that he was so rude with it. We would have tipped him anyways (even though he didn't help us with our luggage at all), but to just come out and demand it was really tacky.
Even though the staff really tried to be accommodating, their lack of attention to maintenance and cleanliness would definitely deter me from staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Stj113
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
My sincere apologies that your experience at our hotel was so poor. We appreciate your review so we can focus attention on the areas you mentioned. We do have a written inspection process that each day I am inspecting rooms to ensure high standards of cleanliness and maintenance. We have new bedding at the hotel since you stayed with us and we do schedule deep cleaning projects and preventative maintenance to keep the rooms in top condition. We will remain diligent to improve our hotel.

I have passed along your comments about the parking garage to the manager and owner. Thank you for mentioning the situation, so we can address it and improve.

212-925-1212
Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Polish first
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had two rooms for three nights. The rooms are big for Manhattan. We would stay there again. The hotel is two short blocks from the Metro (B and D trains). The staff was very friendly and helpful! The room was quiet and for the most part clean. A little more attention to detail in the housekeeping department would go a long way. The shower had no place for soap or shampoo except the windowsill.
The breakfast was not very good. For breakfast, walk up to Canal St., turn left and walk a block to the Cup and Saucer at 89 Canal St. Great breakfast and inexpensive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking the time to review your stay with us. I will share your kind words with my staff on your experience with them. My sincere apologies that the housekeeping was not acceptable during your stay. I have shared your comments with my housekeeping team and I do written room inspections daily to ensure cleanliness. Your comments will assist us in improving. We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are in NYC.

212-925-1212
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here for one night towards the end of June 2013. I took the Yo bus from Boston to NY. While the bus stunk (no A/C on a 90+ degree day), it dropped me off about 3-4 blocks away and so that was a good combo for a trip to NY.

The service here was excellent. I find when you spend under $200 in NYC in the Summer the staff can be hit or miss...since NYC hotel rates in the Summer can be terrible, but that is because of all the international travelers...many of you who may be reading this. They were great about holding my bag on the day I checked out so I could explore longer. They were friendly in all my dealings. Based on that alone I was happy.

The room was on the small side, room enough to walk around the bed and a little bit more at the end of the bed and when you first come into the room. What was nice was that the room (Mine was #808-just off the elevator) was very clean, modern and everything worked!!! I travel as much as I can and I have seen a ton of hotel rooms. Frankly I expect less when I travel to NYC because they know they have got you...other than being small and having no fridge/micro this room was great. It even had a nice view of the Manhattan Bridge!!!

The free breakfast was passable. I wouldn't call it any more than basic, but it was FREE!!!

Internet worked, so that was good too!

Location wise-I really like where it is. There are subways near by. Several bridges into Brooklyn, which if you are staying here I strongly advise you visit Williamsburg or some of the other cool neighborhoods. Chinatown is great for Dim Sum or just to have some steamed dumplings. South Street Seaport, The World Trade Center/Freedom Tower/City Hall and Little Italy are all walkable. The village is a quick cab. There are some great music venues in a 5-10 min cab ride. Do yourself a favor and stay here to explore the area. If you are in NYC for a whole week I would recommend staying here for a few days then staying closer to Central Park/Midtown for a few days.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I will certainly celebrate your kind words with the staff. They are a wonderful team with true hospitality in mind. I am glad you enjoyed the area. We are close to so many wonderful things to see and do, that many visitors miss. We hope you will stay with us in the future.

Gwen Lytle
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here on June 22nd to 23rd, didn't make any reservation, checked in was simple, and quick, the clerk was very friendly.

The room is very spacious, internet was fast, restroom very clean, and the bed was very comfy.

Simple walks away from subways, restaurants, and shoppings.

No doubt that we will be staying here again, the next time we visit.

Thank you, and good job! guys/gals

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. I am so pleased to hear that your stay was simple and added to your experience in NYC. I will certainly celebrate your kind words with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen Lytle
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were eight scandinavian women celebrating our 50th birthdays in NY, staying at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge Hotel one week in May 2013. We stayed in connecting rooms, two and two in each room, perfect. We travelled by subway and felt safe walking in the neighbourhood at night. The hotel staff was very helpful and serviceminded (thanx Shawn!). If the hotel had had a "proper" breakfast area it would have gotten "excellent", but we truly HAD an excellent week in NY, much thanx to Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge Hotel. Hope to come back with my family in the next few years.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina K
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Just reading your review made me thrilled at the experience you must have all had. I love girls weekends! I am so glad to hear that our hotel had the opportunity to be a part of your 50th celebration! Thank you for staying with us and reviewing the hotel to share your experience with others. We hope that your will stay with us again the next time any of your return to NYC.

All the Best!

Le Pecq, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I chose this hotel for its good price for Manhattan and was very satisfied of my stay :

Pros :

-Location is very convenient, at the heart of China town, but close to several Subway stations which go through major sights of Manhattan.
-Staff is very efficient and polite (they can arrange you good transfer to airport in private car, which we used)
-Room comfortable, with a very large and modern bathroom.
-Free self-service breakfast included

Cons :

-Trafic outside and noise from the street very loud (whereas we were at 7th Floor)
-Room overall clean but a bit dusty
-Lobby & common areas lack of decoration

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that is met your needs while in NYC. We appreciate your comments so we can celebrate with our staff what we are doing well and also improve what we can.

The front desk does have ear plugs and white noise machines that can be used if you are sensitive to city noise. Requesting a high floor can also be quieter. I appreciate your feedback on housekeeping, so we can focus on better training and inspection process to improve in this area.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

For NYC prices, this hotel was reasonable and with free wifi, basic breakfast, cheap airport transfer and close to little Italy, Chinatown and Nolita, and a few blocks from various train lines, was great for our 5 night stay. Bathrooms were nicely renovated though the room was small and run down. I hope the rest of the hotel is to follow and then I'll be back in a heart beat. Oh free Internet kiosk and printing too! Very handy.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your review of the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. I am glad to hear that you found all the items you needed for an enjoyable stay in NYC. The hotel was newly built three years ago. The bathrooms are original and I agree were very nicely done. The Comfort Inn brand is rolling out new bedding in all their hotels this year. We have ordered our new bedding and it should be here in July. The new bedding will make a big impact in the rooms. We are very excited for its arrival. We hope that you will return to stay with us after the new bedding is in place.