“Nice Modern Accommodations”

Ranked #207 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice Modern Accommodations”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lobby area is extremely busy and loud all times of day. We were on the 9th floor and rooms were a nice size by NY standards, clean, and updated décor. Had usual amenities like iron, hair dryer, desk, a two person sofa, but no VCR and no coffee maker. One thing we did not like was inability to turn thermostat down below 70 degrees. It was Dec but we like to sleep cool so our only choice was to turn it off entirely.
There are 2 bars and a restaurant where you can get sit-down service or do take-out. We didn’t eat there but the prices were pretty high; you’re better off with one of the many nearby deli’s or diners.
I can’t comment on the value for the price because we stayed there as part of a promotion. But accommodations were very nice for NYC (we’ve stayed at much older, less attractive properties in the city).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Finnish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I went to New York for Spring break. We were there on vacation because neither of us had been to New York in years. I was amazed at the lovelyness of this hotel and the fact that the staff was amazing, expecially during Spring Brak which is a busy time for everyone. I like the location, the availbility of transportation (taxi on site and subway station 7 right down the street) We were walking distance from Time Square and Radio City Music Hall. The area estaurants are a bit pricy but the food is worth it. I will definitely frequent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed in newly renovated rooms in Feb 2013 on an RCI exchange. Friendly efficient check-in on the 37th floor was made even better with our room being ready when we arrived at noon. Very nice lounge including buffet breakfast, early evening wine and beer, plus fresh cookies later in the evening. The rooms are spacious by New York standards and the renovations are very nice. Excellent location near many of the key New York attractions. Well worth consideration of ownership.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CKB964
djmarty2002
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hilton Club at 53rd and 6th as part of a special package to get us to purchase a Hilton Grand Vacations Club timeshare. The location of the hotel cannot be beat...it is really convenient and close to Times Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Central Park, Columbus Circle and the train station at 47-50th streets, at 57th and 6th and at 53rd and 5th. The room was comfortable, with the king bed, plush pillows and enough space for a New York hotel room. The best part was the all day access to bottled water, sodas, coffee, tea, cookies etc. in the Hilton Club lounge on the 57th Floor. They also have beer and wine every night in there for guests from 5-7 pm and breakfast from 6-10 all included. We walked to our timeshare presentation at West 57th Street presented by Hilton Club and even though we didn't purchase one, it was certainly something that appealed to us. The service at the hotel was slightly lacking but overall adequate. The hotel lobby tends to be chaotic with large student groups and tour groups. Luggage hold is also a bit crazy but if you arrive early and need to leave your bags, the Hilton Club will pick it up for you and drop it off in your room after check in and you can avoid the $3.50 per bag fee. In general a really comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djmarty2002
Brightwaters, New York
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Rooms are newly renovated. Clean, quiet and upscale. We stayed at the Hilton Club which is on the 37th and 38th floors of the hotel. I comes with lounge privileges which include a nice buffet continental breakfast and a Manager's reception in the lounge in the evening for cocktails and hors d'oervres.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

When we last stayed in 2010 we enjoyed it so much that we bought a timeshare at this location - in the resale market it can be picked up for about $7,000 for about 10 days stay in a studio for each of the next 20 years or so (although the annual service charges aren't cheap!).

We stayed for 2 weeks, and had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 reception unit which was great for my family including my father (3 adults and 2 children aged 4 and 1). The location is still (!) great - a few blocks from Central Park/Radio City/MoMA, and not very far from Times Square. Given we didn’t have a car seat we got the subway from JFK, which was actually a really easy journey, and not much slower than a cab. Apart from the E train there wasn’t a useful (to us!) subway line on the doorstep, but there are a few within a few blocks.

In terms of the room the beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were nice - the master bedroom had a large en-suite with a shower cubicle and bath, although the second ensuite was tiny, with just a shower cubicle and very limited shelf space. There is a large screen TV in each of the rooms, and a Bose DVD/CD player in the living room. Free internet access is provided.

The rooms are currently being refurbished and we had a look at one which had been completed - it looks good.

The only other downside was the lack of catering facilities, which have actually got worse over the last couple of years. I said before that it would have been nice to have a microwave, but now I would make do with the coffee machine and fridge in-room which were there previously but have now been removed! I understand that this is a union issue because of the services supplied by the hotel, but still a shame for guests.....

There is also a lounge which doubles up as the check-in desk – all the staff were great, a real credit to the organisation. Included in the price, and served in the lounge, is breakfast (not a hot breakfast, but a good range of cereals, pastries, bagels, fruit, yoghurt, boiled eggs etc.). There is a daily “manager’s reception” in the evening with wine, beer and soft drinks, and finger food. Water/soft drinks/tea and coffee are available throughout the day in the lounge. It is surprising, particularly during breakfast, the number of people who try to get into breakfast who aren't staying in the Hilton Club - perhaps the check-in staff on the ground floor need to be more explicit with Hilton Diamond/Gold members that they should head to the top floor for breakfast rather than the 37th.

We were checking out of the Hilton Club into the Hilton New York, so they gave us free bag storage, otherwise there is a charge.

Another great experience with the Hilton Club,and I'm looking forward to visiting again to use our ownership.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank London_Andy
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I are owners in the HVC, but as we were traveling with my brother-in-law, we could not get a two bedroom on club floors, so they gave us a 2 bed room, but still very nice for as little time as we spent in it. Check in was easy and courtesy was wonderful. However, on the last day, while trying to have breakfast in the executive cub lounge on lobby level, the attendant working the desk caused a scene becuase my husband and I were entering along with his brother. Her attitude was absolutely appalling and the tone in her voice in which she spoke was humiliating. My husband and I are BOTH Hilton Diamond members, so bringing a guest under either one of us should not have been an issue. Regardless, the way that woman spoke to me was absolutely disgusting, as if I was trying to sneak in a dozen people for a free breakfast. Mind I tell you, we had 4 people staying in our room and the Hilton Honors desk gave me enough breakfast coupons for 3 days, so don't think i was trying to get a free meal for one person. When I addressed her rudeness to the Hilton Honors desk, she started yelling at me from across the hall, threw her arms up at me and stormed off into the execute lounge. Unbelievable.

The most sickening part of all, my husband and I had just upgraded our club membership and had just paid $12k the day before so we could spend some more time in the city in the future. We're duo go back in April, and I will personally be on a mission to see if that woman is still there. This is the first of bad service reviews I will be sending off to the hotel.

Besides all that, the hotel is in a perfect location and we usually have pretty good service. I was just absolutely dumbfounded by how I was treated upon entering the executive lounge. My husband travels every week for work and Hilton properties are the only place he stays..,it's amazing that a woman working the lounge for seasoned travelors is so rude.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, it makes a difference.