“Deafeningly loud music”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I've been to Calico Jack's a couple of times for lunch, mostly with a group and it's an ok place for lunch, reasonably priced. But after 5 pm, watch out. We were last there on July 3rd, the evening before a holiday and the music was so deafeningly loud, our group left. We started at the bar and thought the adjacent dining room might be better, but it wasn't. A polite request to turn down the music was met with, "We can't, we trying to create an atmosphere." Obviously, the atmosphere is party-time for the 20-something and 30-something drinking crowd. Go elsewhere.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We went for lunch relatively early and found the restaurant quite quiet, though it filled up quickly while we were dining. On previous occasions, when we had arrived closer to 1 pm, the restaurant was already crowded though it was still not impossible to get a table for four. The establishment tends to get more boisterous in the evening as groups visit after work and tend to drink and mingle at the bar, or there are parties or special events. The younger crowds seem to enjoy the energy!

The menu is mainly Mexican cuisine, though it also has wraps, burgers as well as Cajun dishes. The food is generally quite good, especially the seafood dishes. I had the sizzling shrimp fajita which was delicious.The frozen margarita I ordered during this visit was a welcome complement on a hot day.

For a casual lunch with colleagues, friends and family this would be a decent choice if you come early. However, this chain restaurant is definitely not the place for a romantic evening or an important business meeting.

Overall it was a pleasant experience - we had a table by an open window and the service was good. It seems to me that the mixed reviews that have been posted by other reviewers reflect in part when one visits this restaurant. So my happier experience with the service this visit is not necessarily at odds with their assessment.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Went here with a group that has been going here for years. I was excited because I love Mexican food. If you love Mexican food, you need to find another place to eat. I found the food to be very salty and smothered in cheese. It was hard to find the chicken in the enchiladas due to the amount of cheese on it. Also, there was a layer of oil/grease (probably cooked off from the cheeses) laying on top. The flavors would have been spot on except for the amount of salt in the dishes. Left the place drinking a gallon of water. Also, if you have a large group, be prepared to wait and for the server to mix up the orders even when not busy.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We had 1 meal at Calico Jack's which was delicious with a huge jug of frozen mango marguerita - it was great!

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I'm not picky, but this was by far the worst place I can think of to spend an evening. Completely unprofessional behavior. If I was the owner the front of house would be fired on the spot. You can tell that everyone who works here doesn't care, bouncers included. I'm baffled as to how they're still in business. Food was burnt, drink orders were screwed up, and the staff is rude. Avoid at all costs.