“Wonderful food...”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd Avenues
Transit: We are located just a few blocks from Grand Central Terminal. You can take the 4, 5 or 6 to 42nd Street/Grand Central Station. You can also take the local Bus on Third Avenue, going north or Lexington Avenue, going south.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food here was wonderful, as was the service and the decor. A companion and I had a prix fixe dinner for two, which included three courses: we chose delicious fried calamari and baked clams as appetizers, seafood fra diavolo and veal parmiagiana as entrees, and chocolate mousse cake and coconut gelato for dessert (and very good coffee). The baked clams and the gelato were the two standouts, in my opinion. Everything else was still very good, though.

The normal price for the fixed price dinner for two is $147 (before tax and tip). I purchased a Groupon that brought the price down to $59, although added to that was a 20% tip on the $147 (or about $30) as well as tax, and a beverage for my friend. So the total cost for a fixed-price dinner for two with the Groupon was about $106--still a little pricey, depending on your budget.

I liked that we weren't rushed (it was a Thursday night) and the service was attentive and friendly without being overly hovering. Although the restaurant is between 1st and 2nd Avenues, it's an easy walk from Grand Central Station.

My only complaint was the ladies' room. It was not as clean as it could have been, and inexplicably, there was dollar-store off-brand kitchen pump soap, in the store bottle. Very unappealing. If the rest room had been as meticulous as the service and food, this would be a five-star review.

1  Thank WordyGirl20

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our best meal in New York! Our hotel had recommended this place, we are so happy to have chosen it! The service was always very attentive and professional. The whole staff really knew the menu perfectly. We had an appetizer of fried calamari which was gone in a second. I ordered the lobster ravioli which were to die for! Overall a very positive experience!

Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful dinner. The atmosphere was cozy, the food was wonderful, the wine was excellent and our service was terrific. I recommend the sea bass.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Padre Figlio refers to Father and Son Antonio (Tony) and Mario Cerra, restaurant hosts straight out of Central Casting. I write this with great respect and also knowing that old school will seem very new to younger diners. It's an almost certain bet that Tony or Mario will personally greet you at the door or soon after you enter this comfortably decorated restaurant a few steps down from street level, and Tony will not only make himself available for commentary on the menu and daily specials, he will be practically offended if you don't consult him. He is a polished patron who runs things they way they used to be run in New York restaurants when the chef was a secondary personality and everything revolved around the man at the front of the house. This isn't to say the food takes a backseat to anything - it's very good and often surprisingly imaginative. Crespelle Napoletana is a core of riccotta di bufala (the same milk that makes the best mozzarella so creamy and tangy), wrapped in thin sheets of eggplant and baked with a brightly flavored tomato sauce. If that sounds heavy, that's only because such a dish would be heavy almost anywhere else, but at Padre Figlio, it is feather light and elegant. Grilled octopus was incredibly tender and bursting with flavor on a bed of arugula. I had a risotto with contecchino, a pork sausage popular in Northern Italy during the winter. It was extremely rich making what was a generous portion too much even for a main course, and it was dry though the rice was perfectly al dente. I liked the flavors but disliked having to leave half the portion on the plate. Linguini with clams fared better - delicate noodles with a healthy helping of tiny clams, wonderfully flavored. A real joy at Pedro Figlia is the wine list - it's reasonably priced (especially for Manhattan) and has an excellent selection. The only drawback for me was that Tony insisted on giving a discourse on the wine I ordered even though I didn't ask for it and, as a professional wine journalist, didn't need it. I can understand providing assistance when requested but this felt a little like the patrone showing off and assuming that we just lucked out picking a good bottle. At Padre Figlio the discourse would be better if it were more two way and less an oration. That said, I'd go back in a heartbeat. I liked the food, I liked the atmosphere and I liked Tony and Mario a lot - it's the sort of well-intentioned slickness that was once common place at New York Italian American restaurants, but few of those restaurants ever had food as good as this.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Excellent food and service.We loved appetizers of fresh mozzarella and tomatoe.My husband had fresh fish from Italy that was baked and brought to table and the filleted.I had special of crab lobster, and scallops in radiccio leaves.It was excellent.Wine was very good.Ambience was good.Waitstaff was very attentive.