“Just Excellent all Around”
Review of Rouge Tomate - CLOSED

Rouge Tomate
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between 5th and Madison Avenue
Transit: N, R & W trains to 5th Avenue / 59th Street. Exit Station at 60th Street.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

One of the better meals we've ever had. The food was beautifully prepared, innovative without being intimidating, and the service was dynamite. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings and they nailed everything. The meal started with an amuse trio that we were worried set the bar too high, and then everything else served delivered the same level of excellence. Don't miss the Walu ceviche and the venison, just yum! The wine pairings enhanced every course and getting to chat with the wine director and her excellent assistant really made that part of the experience even better. We looked at the menus of many of the big name NYC restaurants felt we'd kind of "been there done that". We looked at the the menu for Rouge Tomate and hoped it would deliver. It exceeded our expectations on every level. It's not cheap, but we left very pleased.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I went here with a friend last night. We sat at the bar, and only ate from the entree menu, but it was glorious. The staff were delightful from the moment we got there, the GM made a point of personally welcoming us, the sommelier came and said hello.

I had the venison, my friend had the hake (I think?), and we shared risotto. It was all cooked to perfection, and the pumpkin seeds that came with the drinks were amazing.

Relaxed, gastronomic heaven, and I think it was pretty healthy too. Recommended.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I visited Rouge Tomate recently to try the tasting menu with cocktail pairings. Overall the menu was really innovative and the cocktails complimented each course perfectly.

The venison course was hands down my favorite - I would visit again simply for this dish (which is also available on their main dinner menu). However, the scallops were less than impressive (odd texture and bland).

Regarding setting, the space is expansive (high ceilings) and very welcoming, however it was quite cold and we had to ask to move tables due to a poorly placed ceiling light (it felt like a spotlight).

I would recommend a meal at Rouge Tomate, but definitely ask if you can sit at one of their lounge area or booth-like seating options.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

OMG! The food was amazing, mouth watering. It's a modern place with fantastic service, and surprisingly low prices for the quality of food. Each dish is an art, every bite is a pleasure. Perfect for romantic dinner. Draw back: as often happens with gourmet restaurants - the size of portions is small and even after having appetizer, dinner and desert you may still feel that you can eat something. Still overall experience was delightful!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

try it if you have a chance; excellent food and atmosphere, I will certainly go back next time in town