“Tailor-made dinner” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rouge Tomate - CLOSED

Rouge Tomate
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between 5th and Madison Avenue
Transit: N, R & W trains to 5th Avenue / 59th Street. Exit Station at 60th Street.
Zug, Switzerland
“Tailor-made dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

It's been a couple of years that I wanted to have dinner at Rouge Tomate. The main problem is that my husband is gluten and white sugar allergic. Which means that he's not welcome in most restaurants. Most of the food is half prepared in advance and most cook use wheat and or white sugar in their preparations.

We were 4 guests, we all took the tasting menu and for my husband, the chef adapted every course. The creativity and the kindness of the chef was truly unbeleivable. It took only 5 minutes to our waiter to come with the perfect answear: We can do it! And the food, not only was great, but the pairing with the wines was just perfect. The courses were creative, not too complicated and very light. Left us with the sensation of enough eating but not with a heavy stomach.

We spent a truely beautiful family moment at Rouge Tomate and looking forward to come back!

Once again, bravo!

New York City, New York
“Good food, terrible wines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

DO NOT GET THE WINE PAIRING! My birthday dinner (prefix) was practically ruined by the odd selection of wines which came with the meal. In the middle they poured a sweet Madeira with a seafood dish. I voiced my skepticism from the beginning but they poured it anyway. The result was that I could not get that powerful sweet taste out of my mouth for the remainder of the meal, which was fabulous. What a disservice to the chef! They followed that with an extremely dry sour wine and then a mediocre red (the only red they poured the entire night). Better to order several glasses of wines yourself, or pay the $50 corkage fee and bring a bottle. Food was beautifully rendered and executed. Room was spectacular. Waiter apologized for the Madeira and said they have received many complaints!!!!

Cornwall, New York
“1 of the best in NYC and Under the Radar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have eaten Chef Jeremy's fabulous food 4 or 5 times since Rouge was launched. It was always great but what i've noticed is that he has grown. His food has become fresher, more beautiful to look at, and most important-even more delicious. Start w his tastey creative "toasts," and you will see what i mean early on in your meal. These are simple, hearty, pretty, and oh so yummy. Highlights the other night were chestnut soup, risotto w wild mushrooms and truffle oil, and incredibly tender Venison. Dessert was a variety of small works of art all w , get this, squash! Yecch right! NO, fabulous! esp the souffle. The Wine list is 1 of my favorites. So well chosen with many great selections all along the price spectrum. Service A 1!"

Sao Paulo, SP
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I went there without prior reservation. We firstly waited in the bar, where we watched some original cocktails been made while we ate lemon glazed popcorn.After two cocktails (one of them a variation of Manhattan with chili), we went to a lounge table. The decoration and the overall comfort is great. We ordered a mushroom "tartare" which was awesome: several varieties of tiny wild pickled mushrooms. My wife had venison and I ordered a Nantucket bay scallops.

Visited December 2013
USA
“Delightful dining in great area of Manhattan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Went here for a pre-Christmas dinner with two gal pals. We ended up dining at the bar which was perfect. Highly recommend the gnudi appetizer (pricey but delish) as well as the freshly squeezed juices and creative cocktails. Portions are modest but adequate.

Tab for three of us with several appetizers,one entree, some wine and cocktails was approximately $300.00 inclusive of gratuity. Thanks to our great bartender from Tupelo, MS for your great service and suggestions! Would make a great date or business dinner place as well. Reserve well ahead or dine at the bar.

• Visited December 2013