“Fabulous restaurant, but not for kids”
Review of Rouge Tomate - CLOSED

Rouge Tomate
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between 5th and Madison Avenue
Transit: N, R & W trains to 5th Avenue / 59th Street. Exit Station at 60th Street.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We (party of seven) went to this beautiful restaurant at the recommendation of a friend. My daughter is 8, and although I was hesitant, we decided to give it a shot. The staff was delightful and more than happy to prepare some things that she enjoyed. We all tried a number of dishes (all fabulous) and the final bill was rather high. I would not take my daughter again, but I so appreciated their kindness and effort to make her feel comfortable. It would be a perfect place for a special romantic dinner in NYC.

1  Thank SadieS9260000

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I was recommended by several friends to visit this restaurant. Even though the service was great and the atmosphere was nice, the food was extremely expensive for was it was... We tried the degustation menu, and many plates were not good... The taste and texture of them were terrible. People must understand they can't try to make gourmet places I they're not actually that. Very sophisticated plates with bad taste. We payed $250 for two people without Andy liquor. Extremely expensive for the quality of food. Not recommended at all.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Rouge Tomate is a fine dining experience in a beautifully designed space. After a very tasty veggie amuse bouche (they'd already checked if we had any foodie preferences) and nice bread with a aubergine / cumin dip, I had the gazpacho then the corn farroto. Both were fresh, a little bit different and quite delicious. I finished with the sorbet with fruits, again just right. We enjoyed a rose ledru champagne and fabulous service throughout.
It's somewhere for a special meal, not an everyday dinner as it's a bit pricey but I am glad I went.

1  Thank SuzanneDLondon
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great wine selection and good sommelier on hand to recommend certain wines. We were a party of 9 and some of that party had various food allergies, which the restaurant were great at advising on.

I had the lobster pasta and this may sound strange but there was WAY too much lobster in there and also too much fennel.
I would like to see smaller portions but i cannot find fault with anything else.

They even boxed up the remaining 1/2 bottle of wine for us.

Would go again

1  Thank Emily4920
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Even with all the choice in NYC I still go back several times when I'm visiting.

The decor, service, drinks, starters, mains and dessert (ESPECIALLY dessert) is OUTRAGEOUSLY GOOD!

It is pricey but worth every penny.

VERY creative menu and a bonus of a lunch pre fixe is perfection!

GO, go, go.