“Outstanding experience one o fthe best!!”
Review of L'Artusi

L'Artusi
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Artusi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 14,583 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Between Bleecker and Hudson
Transit: 1 train to Christopher Street, and A, B, C, D, E, F & V trains to West 4th Street.
Description: Opened in December of 2008, L'Artusi is the second step from the team that brought dell'anima to the West Village. Chef/Partner Gabriel Thompson and Beverage Director/Partner Joe Campanale share their expertise in Italian Epicurean Hospitality on a larger stage. Featuring rustic cuisine, a crudo bar, specialty cheese program, private dining room, and a walk-in wine cellar, L’Artusi offers guests a variety of dining options and a warm, friendly vibe. Our 110 seat restaurant, designed by Brooke Maples, features two floors of comfortable banquette seating, extended traditional bar, cheese bar and a chef's counter over-looking the open kitchen. Private dining opportunities are also available in our 2500 bottle walk-in wine cellar.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

From the food, and wine to the service and the added ambience of the open kitchen, my wife and I easily put this at the top of our list for an overall dining experience anywhere. We like to share and with some many awesome choices that worked out so well for us.
We started with the Hamachi Tartare, then the Roasted Beets, and the Charred Octopus which was amazing, the pasta we chose was the Tagliatelle , and we had the Roasted Chicken as a main. Every dish was outstanding and flawless, and we both agreed that the Roasted Chicken was by far the best we ever had in any restaurant period. The staff was great, very attentive without being over barring
Not being as familiar with Italian wines as we are with other regions, I left the choice up to the Sommelier who recommended the Vermentino I Soli, it was great choice and very reasonably priced. The staff was great very attentive without being over barring
We topped the meal off with the Brown Sugar Bread Pudding it was magical, the perfect ending to a perfect meal.
The two us can't wait to go back.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Expensive restaurant, awful wine and tiny portions.
The bill was $150 per head (not sure where £18-£24 came from on the TripAdvisor summary!). We ordered an Italian Sauvignon Blanc, which was dreadful (but not corked, so didn't send it back).
We moved on to Chianti, thinking it would be a safe bet, but it was also pretty bad. Either this restaurant is not procuring its wine properly, or more likely it is not shipping and/or storing it properly, as I have never had 2 bottles of Italian wine this bad in Italy or anywhere else in the USA for that matter. At $50 per bottle, that is not acceptable. In large a mixed group, I was not inclined to make a fuss and ruin the birthday party, so I just thought I would share how bad the place is on here instead.
Avoid!

1  Thank Simlad
Reviewed March 25, 2014

The waiter claimed we needed 2 plates each - lies! One serving of pasta each was definitely enough for two normal-sized women. The food was great, but it's definitely overpriced. Good though, and a lovely restaurant!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Seriously, my new favorite restaurant in NYC but from the look at it, it doesn't need anymore good reviews!

We came here on New Years Eve with friends and had a 6 pm reservation set up with a wine tasting and four course dinner. This was one of the best restaurant experiences that I've had. They let us mix and match our courses so we literally tried the entire menu. All the wine pairings were delicious and the service was outstanding. We thought we would be rushed out since it was NYE and we assumed they wanted to seat another party after us but there was no rushing and we finished our meal at about 10/10:30. Everything was outstanding (and we tried everything) but the highlights were the pasta - especially the mushroom ragu and peekytoe crab pasta (special). The octopus and arctic char were very good and the meat eaters highly recommended the chicken and short rib.

Once I have an experience like that I'm hesitant to go back because I don't think the 2nd time at any restaurant is ever as good. My husband booked us dinner here last weekend as a date night and I asked him to cancel it. I said to leave well enough alone. He said that we were going for some good food and not to expect it to be as good and we'll be fine. Boy were we wrong. While we were missing our great company from NYE, the food still blew us away. It was just as good, if not better. We had the Hamachi, the beet salad, the mushroom ragu pasta (it was a favorite), a special swordfish linquini, broccoli rabe and carmelized parsnips. We also had the goat cheese (this was our first married date night so my husband went all out). Everything was outstanding. I will be going back to L'artusi again and again (pending getting a hard to get reservation....)

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had heard that this restaurant had among the best Italian offerings in the city but could never get a reservation. Finally scored one this past Monday evening and it lived up to its reputation. From the moment we stepped in the door, the service was spectacular. The two level restaurant is attractive with just the right amount of lighting and ambient noise. We could actually have a conversation. We had two appetizers but the brussel sprouts were by far my favorite. There is an open kitchen and that was fun to watch. It was difficult to choose which entree we wanted but finally settled on the Garganelli which was a mushroom ragu with ricotta. We also had the spaghetti with garlic, parmesan and chilies. Both were cooked to perfect, were decently sized dishes and delicious. Our waiter suggested the Olive cake for dessert, which frankly sounded gross to us. However, it was light and delicious as well. can't wait to return.