“One of my favorites in the city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Artusi

L'Artusi
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Artusi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #282 of 13,479 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Between Bleecker and Hudson
Transit: 1 train to Christopher Street, and A, B, C, D, E, F & V trains to West 4th Street.
Description: Opened in December of 2008, L'Artusi is the second step from the team that brought dell'anima to the West Village. Chef/Partner Gabriel Thompson and Beverage Director/Partner Joe Campanale share their expertise in Italian Epicurean Hospitality on a larger stage. Featuring rustic cuisine, a crudo bar, specialty cheese program, private dining room, and a walk-in wine cellar, L’Artusi offers guests a variety of dining options and a warm, friendly vibe. Our 110 seat restaurant, designed by Brooke Maples, features two floors of comfortable banquette seating, extended traditional bar, cheese bar and a chef's counter over-looking the open kitchen. Private dining opportunities are also available in our 2500 bottle walk-in wine cellar.
New York City
“One of my favorites in the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

The first time I went to L'Artusi, a few years ago, I stumbled into it with a friend with no reservations, and we were kindly accomodated (even though there's usually a several-week wait for a table.) The second time I went with a friend and we sat at the counter. I wound up bonding with several staff members over a shared love of college basketball, and the rest is history. I've been back many times since, and the food and service have been consistently awesome. The pasta is always perfectly al dente, the cocktail selections delicious and varied, and the service friendly and attentive. It's one of those places that is exclusive, yet warm and welcoming. I recently talked my office mates into having our yearly holiday party there, and everyone was beyond pleased with the results. Do yourself a favor and go here. It's not the cheapest restaurant in the city, but it's nowhere near the most expensive, either. The entrees in some cases are a little small for some, but the sides are a healthy size and delicious. And you want a wine list? Try a wine BINDER. There's something for every palate here. And while I've never been overly impressed with the desserts in Italian restaurants (I confess to being from a land where the desserts are less fancy and more lard- and sugar-based), the hazelnut chocolate torta nearly changed my life. And I don't even LIKE hazelnut. So there you go.

1 Thank Shenanigan70

Oradell, NJ
“Like Visiting Old Friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Impeccable food, interesting wine and cocktail list, warm, attentive and knowledgable staff, unfussy service and a comfortable room made an evening at L'Artusi one I look forward to repeating! Everything was just right!

1 Thank mcschleg
New York City, New York
“DO NOT GO HERE!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

It is WAY overpriced, and the food is average at best. The cheese was good, but nothing spectacular. You can get better cheese at Whole Foods. The mushroom appetizer was greasy, very little flavor. The tagliatelle bolognese was disgusting! Bolognese sauce should be dark red with a very slight brown tint from the meat, have carrots and, maybe, a little nutmeg. This was fried chop meat with some kind of clear gel. The pasta itself was good. Then the hanger steak was flavorless, overcooked on the outside, and was tough; it was like eating leather. The waiter suggested we order a secondo because the past course would be too small. Actually, the portion size for the pasta would have been just right, but then again, I would have been angry to just have that dog food of a dish. We saw chicken on the other table, and it looked like a dry burnt piece of meat. The steak come with potatoes and this ricotta onion dip. The potatoes were completely flavorless, dry and over cooked. The potatoes reminded me of hash fries at a diner, but I am sure one could get better potatoes at the diner. The deserts were average at best. The pumpkin tiramisu was ok, the chocolate dish with the hazelnut was average - absolutely pedestrian, and the olive oil cake was subpar and stale. The worst part is I paid $271 plus tip, totaling over $320, for a meal for two people for a sub-par meal. I could have had a lot better for half the price. I have NO idea why so many people come here and why the reservations are difficult to get. I have had heard and read how this restaurant was supposed to be so great (Who are these people?!), and accordingly, I have been trying to get reservations for dinner at L'Artusi for several months. What a disappointment it was. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PAffenita
Albany, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Based on the reviews, we had high expectations for L'Artusi and were not disappointed. We started with a nicely dressed chicories salad, which was large enough for two. As a main dish, I had the charred octopus with olive oil, lemon, chilies, fingerling potatoes, pancetta, and olives, which was very tender and flavorful. As a side, I had the cauliflower with anchovies, olives, and pine nuts--also delicious. My husband raved about his dish, the pasta special with chicken ragu. We told the waitress we were there to celebrate my 60th birthday and she sent over their signature dessert, a chocolate hazelnut torte with a praline crust accompanied by a salted caramel gelato, which was to die for. In sum, everything--the food, the wine, the service, the atmosphere--was top-notch!

1 Thank smh53
New York City, New York
“Amazing Private Dining Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I recently had a surprise party for my parents' anniversary in the Private Dining Room at l'Artusi. The Event Coordinator, Amelia, was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable while helping me choose my menu. Our service was unobtrusive and their sommelier intuitively figured out exactly what we wanted to drink (I am also a sommelier was very impressed with their list and ability to read their audience--we destroyed some awesome mags). Highlights of the meal were the roasted mushrooms with fried egg, squash ravioli, tagliatelle with bianco ragu and an amazing pork chop. The minimum was also low compared to other PDRs I looked in to. My parents and guests are still raving.

• Visited November 2013