“More than Veal Parm”
Review of Regional

Regional
Reserve with OpenTable
Regional is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,471 of 14,026 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 98 and 99streets
Transit: subway lines 1,2,3 to 96th street and Broadway
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Although they need to work on the name (Regional what?), the unfortunately named restaurant does offer a broad menu of game meats (boar, rabbit), seafood, and other less common Italian dishes. Factoring in you are on the upper west side of Manhattan, prices are not extravagant although their meat or cheese (no mixing, don't ask!) appetizer "special" was a little pricey for 4 pieces of cheese, a palmful of blueberries and some honey. A full bar and a good wine list round out the offering. Although service was erratic, chatting up the owner went a long way towards smoothing the flow of dinner. In short, if you are in the area and in the market for something a little more sophisticated than Olive Garden, worth the visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I reluctantly landed up here for lunch, against my better judgement to avoid making the arduous restaurant search more complex and spending another hour searching. I went in and sat down was not impressed by the plain stark decor assuming you can give it this much credit. When the waitor arrived I asked him what he could recommend. His advise was everything was just fantastic, so now my radar is up and running, how or who gives such bogus advice without any further explainations. I knew intuitively I was in for a treat. Was I ever. At this point i am trying to convince the others i am with to head for the doors but i get the what is your problem, we are here to eat lunch in this great eatery. I ordered a medium cooked burger. The others ordered their things. The burger arrived on the plate in the roll. The 2 slices of tomato on the plate was the size of a quarter, the fries were so sloppy, the burger was over cooked. The plate in general was so uninviting that i immediately lost my appetite. why is it so complicated to get a medium cooked burger in NYC these days. Does anyone know how to cook a burger medium, not rare not over cooked but medium anymore. This is becoming a mystery to me, where have all the chefs gone who actually know how to cook, preapre and present a decent burger. Even the food the others received was so plain so basic. How do restaurants like this exist in the city. Then to add insult to injury I was sitting and waiting for the others to finish their meals as I had no patience to wait to remake mine. So I look on tripadviser about this place and the 2 most recent summed it all up. Note to self. Check the reviews before going in and sitting down. I could have saved myself the aggravation and possibly found a better place to eat lunch at. My bad.

1  Thank Laurence31
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The guy who seated us was surly and upset that we (3 of us) did not want to sit at the microtable he was offering us. They did not give us a wine list and I had to hunt them down to get one. The food was barely edible (isn't NYC supposed to be home to the best Italian food outside of Rome?) The service was not great.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

'Host" sloppy looking, sweaty Neanderthal; led us to a postage stamp size table (for 3 people)
that would not accomodate 3 dinner plates. We asked him to push the next table nex tto ours to make a bigger table. He did so begrudgingly and proceeded to toss menus on the table.
Service abominable. Had to leave table to find server to bring a wine list. Had to request bread.
Interminable wait for our order to be taken.
Food barely edible. The Frito Misto had no"misto" Fried rubber bands and 2 minuscule over cooked leathery shrimp
Everything over salted.
Had to ask for table to be cleared.
Unbearable noise level and retaurant was 3/4 full.
We live in the neighborhood and try to patronize our local eatablishments.
We had eaten at Regional a couple years ago and reported how awful it was.
It recently came to our attention new owners were involved and a new chef. Hoping for a good Italian restaurant in the neighborhood, we tried again.
Refer to title of my review!

2  Thank lcm276
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We've been going to Regional for a while and have always found the food dependable -- if not overly creative. We were excited when they announced a new chef would be overseeing things in the kitchen. The specials now feature game and pastas with a Tuscan motif. This is a serious upgrade to the dining experience. Service was good -- but we generally don't go on Saturday nights -- so it wasn't super busy. There is a fairly extensive wine list with a limited number of bottles offered at half-price on Wednesday. Corkage fee is a mere $12 / bottle for those who like bringing something special from home. Give it a try!

1  Thank MarioCavaradossi