“Birthdays and Bull Riding”
Review of Johnny Utah's NYC

Johnny Utah's NYC
Reserve with OpenTable
Johnny Utah's NYC is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,489 of 14,015 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: In July 2007, New York welcomes Johnny Utah's, the urban cowboy experience, to Rockefeller Center. The Johnny Utah's experience begins with cuisine full of flavors & spices which embody the real meaning of Southwestern food. With hearty recipes of our cultural ancestors, Johnny Utah’s offers a menu full of zesty Texan BBQ ribs, savory steak fajitas, & authentic Mexican tequila. Almost every seat in the house has a view of the dining room’s main attraction, Manhattan’s only mechanical bull. Showcasing the full essence of the Southwestern theme, the beast is theatrically surrounded with cascading metal chains & burning candles that echo “rings of fire,” signifying the celebration of the icon. The interior was designed as an interpretation of an old western mining shaft with salvaged antique tiles & pony-hide furniture. Johnny Utah’s is a place where the music’s always pumping and the drinks are always flowing. We have redefined the urban cowboy experience through our unique promotions and promiscuous atmosphere. Cowgirls, cowboys and rock stars of all kinds are encouraged to come in and get wild.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently visited on a Saturday for my belated birthday outing and had a great time. If you are interested in a wild night with like minded people, this is it. I haven't been bull riding in the mid-west or down south, but for an NYC version I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There were no extreme situations like brawls or people throwing up (at least before I left), just an old fashioned good time. The DJ's were hilarious, and the bull riding is more than entertaining. I ordered the mac and cheese and was expecting a run-of-the-mill, bland dish, but it was thick, cheesy, and seasoned well. Much better than the average restaurant mac and cheese. Of course the bar was packed after midnight but, like I said, if you are looking for a wild and fun night, this is it.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Didn't expect much but this was pretty bad. Our food took forever and arrived cold. Quality was poor. Server didn't have many tables but barely found time for us. I would recommend try anywhere but here!

1  Thank MeaganD2
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was staying in the area for business and decided to checkout since they have a mechanical bull. It was a fun place on surface but bartenders were slow and not interested in service. They seemed more interested in taking pictures of each other and counting time to their next break. There were numerous service mistakes...having to ask that the bar top in front of me be cleaned off before they serve my drink, constantly trying to get their attention for another round, being promised repeatedly they would change the TV channel and did not. I would not be motivated to return to this place.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was not impressed with Johnny Utah's. Probably because I am from the Mid-west and this takes the "cowboy" theme to absurd levels. Our waitress was NOT attentive. Almost felt ignored.

The food was good though. I loved the Vegetable burrito, it was HUGE though. Could only eat half. My boy did not enjoy the cod though, taste was okay, just not much of it. I told him, we're in a tex-mex spot, don't get fish!

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a waitress ... got our drink order..tried to leave..told her we wanted appetizer ... brought our drinks...walked away again..told her we were ready to order our food. Strawberry margarita was very good. Steak was old and not seasoned .. fajitas were good. Better places to go.