“Great Spot with $5 Margaritas!”
Review of Sombrero Mexican

Sombrero Mexican
Ranked #2,593 of 14,901 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 20, 2017

Popped in here as it was close to our hotel. Lovely, pleasant servers and good turnaround from the kitchen. We ordered a number of items, chicken fajitas, calamari, big burrito, burger and guacamole and chips. Everything was fresh and tasty and the portions were big. The $5 margaritas were great and we went back later that night for a few more. We were glad we decided to eat here and would definitely recommend it to others.

Reviewed April 4, 2017 via mobile

Good Mexican food, but items that would be 7.95 to 12.95 in my area were 20.00 to 25.00, so not so affordable for a family.

Reviewed March 26, 2017

We popped in here for dinner after a matinee. We were in no rush, as we were chaperoning a university bus tour and had several hours before departure. We were hoping for decent food in an unhurried atmosphere without breaking the bank. That is exactly what we got. My husband said his red snapper tacos were among the nest he had ever eaten and the guacamole appetizer was in the same category.
I ordered the prix fixe menu which is soup or salad, entree, and flan or chocolate mousse for dessert. My black bean and chorizo soup was hearty and mildly seasoned - i added a little salsa to liven it up a bit. Would rather have the option to make it spicier than not. My chili rellanos entree was huge and tasty - again not too spicy. I could only eat one. The chocolate mousse came in cake form and was quite good, but clearly not house made. Overall the staff was helpful without being fawning and did not rush us at all. Which is extremely welcome in the theatre district.

Reviewed March 25, 2017

We dropped in for dinner simply because of location - this restaurant was close to our hotel. The food was really good. I ordered fajitas, and they arrived at our table stemming hot. Our server was friendly and funny. This is a great place to dine.

Reviewed March 20, 2017

I think the sauce was called chili pomblano (pardon the spelling). The wings came out over a bed of shredded lettuce. The sauce was spicy, not hot, but spicy. They were served with blue cheese and celery. When the wings were finished, I couldn't let all the beautiful sauce go back to the kitchen and be discarded! Since it was over the shredded lettuce, and I have some blue cheese left over...yeah, i made a little salad! And it was awesome! I was still hungry so i ordered some homemade guacamole, and that was as good as the wings!
The only real issue I had with the place is I thought the beer was expensive. I could have waled 100 feet in any direction and pay a few bucks less per bottle.
Aside from that this is definitely worth a stop!