“Don't miss it!”

and up
Private Greenwich Village Tour
Ranked #48 of 1,077 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: A 9.75-acre city park in Greenwich Village, characterized by its large, central fountain, and known as a major center of community activity for the neighborhood residents.
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

One of the many parks in NYC, but according to me the best one. Take a book and sit next to the fountain. A beautiful place to relax and enjoy in NYC away from it's crowds.

Visited September 2013

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Washington Square Park”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

After a long day exploring Manhattan, I figured I needed a break, so I went towards Washington Square Park. I got a close parking spot nearby using my phone's park whiz app, so I didn't have to walk too far. A friend had told me this a really nice place, #3 in comparison to Central Park's #1 spot, and indeed it was! I didn't think much of triumphal arches before, but dang is that thing big! There is some nice design work on it, and it is still in place despite being over a hundred years old. The Garibaldi statue was also pretty neat, but I didn't know much about him or why his statue was in the park. I ended up playing chess for about two hours with random people, but it was fun nonetheless. The benches were pretty comfortable (yet supportive!), and the fountain was pretty impressive.

This is a great place to spend a few hours!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jeremy D
Toronto, Canada
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
“Saturday in the Park, I think it was the ....”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Whenever I hear that song, I am immediately reminded of many memorable hot and muggy summer afternoons and evenings spent hanging out in Washington Square Park over the years.

The West Village is blessed with so many intimate parks especially the triangular parks running up Sixth avenue. But Washington Square holds a special place in my heart for its open air chaos, the creative influence of NYU surrounding it on three sides and its stunning marble arch, a powerfully visual starting point for that glorious celebration of NYC's finest, Fifth Avenue.

At one stage, I sat with one of my sons and had a true heart to heart talk on "the meaning of life and all that". It was hot and muggy, the sun had set and the park was hopping with locals just chill in'. We connected in a special way and to this day are both the better for it.

The leash free dog park has always been a draw when walking Chester, the Wonder Dog although he tends to be cranky and does not always play well with others. So, we have always taken a pass to be safe.

The renovations that the city has done in recent years have generally been for the better but disruptive in the short term.

So get ye to Washington Square and find life.

Visited January 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Wonderful park-especially at Christmas time”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited the park on Christmas Eve for the carol service the local residents association puts on each year. They handed out free carol booklets which had been published to a very high standard. They looked like a high end magazine. I estimated there must have been somewhere between 750-1000 people G least who joined in the carols underneath the archway. Next to this giant Christmas tree, in the background was the Empire State Building all lit up in its glory. What a truly magical experience. This was one of the true highlights of our trip to New York. I can't thank the assosication resoonsible highly enough. The park is in a lovely area near to Greenwich village and is surrounded by really nice privately owned houses and a few very nice hotels. When we visit NYC next time we most certainly try to stay nearby as in summer time it would be a lovely park to grab a picnic in.

Visited December 2013
Oslo, Norway
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Poetry in the park”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Visit this park if you like alternative people who spontaneously recite poetry to nobody in particular. It is worth a visit for those who want to see a side of New York that's different from Times Square.

Visited January 2014