“Cool place for music and play”

Washington Square Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
Small-Group New York City Ghost Tour of Greenwich...
Ranked #82 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: A 9.75-acre city park in Greenwich Village, characterized by its large, central fountain, and known as a major center of community activity for the neighborhood residents.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This square in NYC leans towards the alternative scene. Loads of artists, musicians, writers, chess players hang around there. Ambiance is cool and friendly. I met somebody who would write down any story told by total strangers and my 9 year old boy played chess with a guy who was really chatty, friendly and damn good at Chess. Good fun, good time!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,057)
All reviews
"sunny day"
in 29 reviews
"fifth avenue"
in 22 reviews
"the empire state building"
in 31 reviews
in 45 reviews
"playground"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed March 31, 2013

NYU is so close that I tend to think of Washington Square Park as an extension of the campus. It's not, except that it is populated by NYU students at most times and generally a pleasant place to just be.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

NYU is very close so this park is more of an extension of the campus than a public park. Still, it's a beehive of energy. A stroll through it is usually pleasant. I am in the neighborhood often, so I visit it without it necessarily being my "destination". I appreciate it by default.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I think the photos speak for itself. Great atmosphere, a very beautiful place for visit in NYC, and the best, for free, what counts in a expensive city.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Mrs B and I walked through the park on one of our long walks around NYC during our recent trip. Bright, open, safe, busy but not too crowded, there was a bloke playing a grand piano (very well) in the middle of the park. Excellent facilities for dog walkers, we were very impressed by them, wish we had similar facilities for our two pooches in Scotland!