“Killed an hour on our last day before we went to the airport”

International Center of Photography Museum
Ranked #328 of 1,151 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world's leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the role images play in our culture. Since our founding, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. ICP is a center where photographers and artists, students, and scholars can create and interpret the world of the image.
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I are both into photography but weren't overly impressed. The staff are friendly and the building is modern etc. We seen some amazing photos but we were in and out of the place is less than an hour. There are some pretty cool things to buy in the gift shop worth checking out although it's pretty expensive.

1  Thank thelifeofdizzy
"wealth"
in 3 reviews
"provocative"

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I think this might be my first "so so" review on Trip Advisor. I made the trip into the city today with my family to visit the museum. We had a nice discount thanks to Living Social. If I didn't have the discount, I probably would have been a bit disappointed. It wasn't that I didn't find the exhibition interesting, rather I just didn't think it was worth $12/person, and it wasn't worth taking a trip into the city expressly for the museum. If it was a stop-off before a Broadway show, then it would have been worth the time.

With that said, if you enjoy photography, consider visiting. However, I wouldn't make it the focal point of your day.

1  Thank John O
Reviewed July 16, 2012

As a photo buff it's always a pleasure to visit this museum and have to chance to see works by photographers that I've only ever seen in books and learn about new photographers.

The staff is always friendly and helpful.

I just wish more of the permanent collection would be on display

Reviewed July 14, 2012

With changing exhibitions, appreciation can differ, so you might want to check their website before you go. There were 4 exhibitions when we visited the ICP in July 2012, of which “Weegee” and the “Short history of photography” impressed us very much and made the visit worthwhile. The Center also has a café and a museum store with the largest collection of books on photography we have ever seen.
Expect to spend about 2 hours in the museum; it has a reasonable admission of $12.