“madame butterfly”

The Metropolitan Opera
More attraction details
Owner description: The Met opened in 1883 and is one of the most famous opera houses in the country today.
Reviewed February 14, 2014

this was my first visit to the met and also to an opera it was outstanding. what a magical evening it was. If you visit New York a visit to the met is a must absolutely fabulous.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,860)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"bucket list"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Had a special birthday treat with my first visit to the Met Opera
Eclectic combination of audience held in rapture by the wonderful music performance and staging
A MUST

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Exceed all expectations! Gorgeous people and brilliant performance. It was on my bucket list but after my first experience, I knew I had to return.

1  Thank gulietta
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Even if you are not an opera lover, a visit to NYC should include a MET performance. The MET orchestra is among the best. There is no artificial voice amplification, you get to hear the real thing. We enjoyed a first rate performance of Tosca with excellent seats at a reasonable price.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 10, 2014

There is nothing we disliked about the Met...nothing. From the moment we disembarked from our limo (yes, we had a limo going to the opera) in front of that marvellous, famous edifice...to the moment I hailed a cab afterwards (in true NYC style, and taking my queue from the senior woman just up the side-walk from me; she,in her mink and diamonds; I figured I, dressed to the nines, could do likewise, so raised my hand and yelled "taxi" and just like that, the first one along pulled over...magic) But I digress...it was the in between part that was truly magical.

Walking up the long piazza at Lincoln Center toward the Met itself, which glows like an over-large jewel, especially the week before Christmas...and passing a huge circular fountain that shoots ever higher then lower then starts all over again...breath-taking seems too inadequate a description. The fact that Julliard, the ballet, and other important art groups are anchored on these grounds (the Lincoln Centre) was a surprise and a bonus.

Inside the opera house, things just got better and better. A space that's often been described as one of the best in the world, it did not disappoint. From the Chagall screens that climb several stories on either side of the stair-cases leading into the hall, to the chandeliers dangling everywhere that look like static fireworks caught at the exact moment of their most brilliant, and in varying sizes...everywhere we looked, there was something else to dazzle the senses.

Our seats were in the very top balcony - probably considered the "cheap seats" but I was just thrilled to get them as the Met is often sold out. And I do believe them when they say there's not a bad seat in the house. The huge empty space is quite simply awe-inspiring. We joked about being nearer heaven but when the lights went up...the smaller chandeliers inside the concert hall actually do go up, they rise into the ceiling! Imagine...

Another advantage to sitting top tier, as it were, afterwards we got a spot on the elevator going down with no problem...people in better seats had to wait for us to empty out before the elevator came back up to get them...something to keep in mind if you're going there and don't like to do stairs, of which there are many. My arthritic knees were ever so grateful.

And the opera itself? It was wonderful, I thought, as did my husband who's the real opera-buff. I was amazed that the audience (a full-house on a Thursday night) was not more enthusiastic actually. But I guess when opera is performed five or six times a week (as it is at the Met) - adulation is reserved for openings and famous guests (Placido Domingo and Rene Fleming are regular "drop-ins" apparently). Coming from lowly Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...we're used to standing ovations and "bravos" pretty much always!

All that being said, the Met was definitely a highlight of our trip to NYC.