“NEAR TO HEAVEN with TOSCA”

The Metropolitan Opera
Book In Advance
More Info
$118.12*
and up
La Bohème at the Metropolitan Opera House
More attraction details
Owner description: The Met opened in 1883 and is one of the most famous opera houses in the country today.
Edmonton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“NEAR TO HEAVEN with TOSCA”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

There is nothing we disliked about the Met...nothing. From the moment we disembarked from our limo (yes, we had a limo going to the opera) in front of that marvellous, famous edifice...to the moment I hailed a cab afterwards (in true NYC style, and taking my queue from the senior woman just up the side-walk from me; she,in her mink and diamonds; I figured I, dressed to the nines, could do likewise, so raised my hand and yelled "taxi" and just like that, the first one along pulled over...magic) But I digress...it was the in between part that was truly magical.

Walking up the long piazza at Lincoln Center toward the Met itself, which glows like an over-large jewel, especially the week before Christmas...and passing a huge circular fountain that shoots ever higher then lower then starts all over again...breath-taking seems too inadequate a description. The fact that Julliard, the ballet, and other important art groups are anchored on these grounds (the Lincoln Centre) was a surprise and a bonus.

Inside the opera house, things just got better and better. A space that's often been described as one of the best in the world, it did not disappoint. From the Chagall screens that climb several stories on either side of the stair-cases leading into the hall, to the chandeliers dangling everywhere that look like static fireworks caught at the exact moment of their most brilliant, and in varying sizes...everywhere we looked, there was something else to dazzle the senses.

Our seats were in the very top balcony - probably considered the "cheap seats" but I was just thrilled to get them as the Met is often sold out. And I do believe them when they say there's not a bad seat in the house. The huge empty space is quite simply awe-inspiring. We joked about being nearer heaven but when the lights went up...the smaller chandeliers inside the concert hall actually do go up, they rise into the ceiling! Imagine...

Another advantage to sitting top tier, as it were, afterwards we got a spot on the elevator going down with no problem...people in better seats had to wait for us to empty out before the elevator came back up to get them...something to keep in mind if you're going there and don't like to do stairs, of which there are many. My arthritic knees were ever so grateful.

And the opera itself? It was wonderful, I thought, as did my husband who's the real opera-buff. I was amazed that the audience (a full-house on a Thursday night) was not more enthusiastic actually. But I guess when opera is performed five or six times a week (as it is at the Met) - adulation is reserved for openings and famous guests (Placido Domingo and Rene Fleming are regular "drop-ins" apparently). Coming from lowly Edmonton, Alberta, Canada...we're used to standing ovations and "bravos" pretty much always!

All that being said, the Met was definitely a highlight of our trip to NYC.

Visited December 2013

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wilmington, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“It doesn't get better than this”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Last week we saw three spectacular operas in three days performed by the world's best vocalists including Anna Netrebko and Rene Fleming while in the center of the world's greatest, cleanest and safest cities with the Superbowl as the denoument. I hope the new mayor DiBlasio takes good care of this world wide destination.

Visited January 2014
New Jersey
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“It doesn't get any better than this”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The costumes, the scenery, the actors, the singing are magnificent. It's not the same as opera was 40 years ago.

Visited October 2013
Mount Forest, Canada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Still simply magnificent”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We find attending the Met one of our annual highlights. It starts as you approach the building..wow. Then you meet the staircases,like no other in the USA. Great acoustics, comfortable seating. Hopefully, one day, more stalls will be available in the women's washroom. Expensive entertainment, but we are hooked!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank lojlomax
Curitiba, PR
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fantastic MET”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Met is fantastic! The program of each season is the best in the world. Most of the places provide a good acoustic and view and the prices are rather reasonable for the quality of the performing artists.

Visited January 2014