“Great experience, wonderful opera in beautiful modern setting”

The Metropolitan Opera
More attraction details
Owner description: The Met opened in 1883 and is one of the most famous opera houses in the country today.
New York, NY
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great experience, wonderful opera in beautiful modern setting”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is a more contemporary building, which I love. I have been to three operas here (The Magic Flute, La Traviata, & Falstaff) - all were amazing. Note that I have never been to the opera anywhere else, so I have no basis for comparison, but even for an opera novice this is a fantastic experience. I have gone with friends visiting NYC and they loved it. Deeply discounted tickets ($20 each) are available for weekday performances on the same day. There are also student discounts.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Reviewer6418

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“If you haven't experienced the Met you need to”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My sister and I splurged for tickets in the Parterre for the new production of Falstaff. Although the tix $ was horribly expensive it was truly one of the best opera experiences ever. Only Arena di Verona could compare! This version of Falstaff is wonderfully funny and filled with ensemble singing. Very different from other Verdi operas but just as wonderful.

New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Magic of the Flute...”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently had a rare pleasure of winning (!!!) 2 free tickets to a dress rehearsal for the Metropolitan Opera's "Magic Flute"... WOW, what a superb performance!!! The set and costumes design is phenomenal and, of course, great voices and Mozart's music - what could beat that?! I only wish that more people can come and enjoy it but, at $400-$500 per ticket, I don't know who can afford that...

New York City, New York
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Love Opera or Ballet--then spend the $$$$”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

One of the greatest opera houses in the world. It is a glorious, but expensive treat. No more needs to be said.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“2011 Rigoletto”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had some trouble getting to the opera because of some people in my group slowing our trip to the city and not being allowed to get any of our belongings off of the bus. So I had to go to the Metropolitan Opera 10 minutes late in bright red athletic shorts and a T-shirt. I felt incredibly embarrassed, but I wasn't missing my chance to see the aria that got me into opera (La donna e mobile sung by Pavarotti in the 1972 recording) at the greatest opera house in the world. I had to sit in the viewing room for the first act and it was fine, but I got to see the rest of the opera in my (very expensive) seat and it was great. No one minded my attire. Especially when I explained the circumstances. Now to see my voice teacher singing the role of Rigoletto at the Met again. Hopefully, that'll be soon.

Visited February 2013