“Wait until renovations are completed”

St. Patrick's Cathedral
Book In Advance
More Info
$74.00*
and up
NYC Highlights Small-Group Tour
Ranked #17 of 1,080 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Enormous 13th-century-style Gothic church on Madison Avenue, with a seating capacity of 2,200, rose window reaching 26 feet across, pipe organ with more than 7,380 pipes and the graceful twin spires that reach 330 feet into the sky.
Victoria, Canada
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Wait until renovations are completed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We could sense that there must be a beautiful church under there somewhere - but with scaffolding covering the exterior and most of the interior as well, it is not worth the stop right now. The few side chapels and interesting bits are crowded with people trying to find something of interest to look at. Even the front steps were flooded with water, hoses, and workers, and people were jostling to get around the water and each other - we will try St. Patrick's again next trip.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Jonesborough, TN
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Beautiful cathedral -- feels like you're in Europe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is a lovely cathedral, and we were surprised to see that t is currently covered with scaffolding. See, that alone reminds me of European cathedrals! It is a lovely haven in the middle on Manhattan. The cathedral is huge and we enjoyed the large number of beautiful artworks. Well worth a visit when in Manhattan. Afterwards, walk down Madison Avenue for some serious shopping.

USA
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Take a breath, take it all in.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Every Christmas I rebel from Las Vegas to NYC to visit my brother. Every Christmas I make the time to visit this beautiful and reverent monument; regardless of the renovations, the experience is what I leave with.

Visited December 2012
1,222 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 567 helpful votes
“Much Improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

While I was still disappointed that the exterior is completely covered in scaffolding and panhandlers frequent the front stairs, I was happy that early on a Saturday morning this beautiful place was practically empty. This allowed me to take in the atmosphere and enjoy the experience. I lucked out that they were just finishing morning Mass and got to hear lovely music echo through the apse and nave. I would love to go for Mass one time, but I fear it will be too chaotic....

Visited November 2013
London, Canada
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“So Beautiful, But Mostly Under Tarps”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We just happened to visit while the beautiful cathedral was under major restoration. I understand it is necessary, it was just a shame because you really could not see much of the stonework outside and much of the inside was behind tarps or blocked with scaffolding. Despite, you could still feel peaceful and tranquil atmosphere and we are glad we got to see it.