“So Peaceful”

and up
New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #15 of 1,151 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Enormous 13th-century-style Gothic church on Madison Avenue, with a seating capacity of 2,200, rose window reaching 26 feet across, pipe organ with more than 7,380 pipes and the graceful twin spires that reach 330 feet into the sky.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I always stop in here for a moment of silence when I am in the city. It is absolutely gorgeous and I always leave with a feeling of serenity.

Write a ReviewReviews (10,631)
All reviews
in 354 reviews
"prayer"
in 299 reviews

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I visited the Cathedral a few years ago and it was such a beautiful place!
I wanted to bring my mother in law since I knew she would really appreciate this cathedral but I was dissapointed by the amount of construction there was.
You could barely see the cathedrale from outside because of the construction and then inside there were large areas blocked off.
It was still nice but it did not give her the chance to see the true beauty of this place.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This cathedral has free admission like a Catholic Church is supposed to be. It is currently in the process of being renovated. It is truly impressive.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I preferred visiting St Vincent's and St Thomas's. St Patrick's was crowded and covered in scaffolding. Couldn't see any of the beauty others talk about. May be next time

1  Thank Pauline Y
See more reviews
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Always wanted to see what is described as a magnificent cathedral set in the heart of New York City.

Alas, the day we went, not only were we saturated but the only 1/2 day rain of our entire holiday, but we found the exterior of the cathedral covered in scaffolding due to maintenance work, but this also applied to the interior which was also covered in scaffolding and cloth protected area.

I understand that maintenance is necessary to maintain magnificent buildings such as this, I just wish it had not been on the one day I happened to be there as it's unlikely I will ever return to this country.