“SAD,BUT WITH A REASON”

and up
New York Holiday Lights Walking Tour
Ranked #7 of 1,153 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Enormous 13th-century-style Gothic church on Madison Avenue, with a seating capacity of 2,200, rose window reaching 26 feet across, pipe organ with more than 7,380 pipes and the graceful twin spires that reach 330 feet into the sky.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Always wanted to see what is described as a magnificent cathedral set in the heart of New York City.

Alas, the day we went, not only were we saturated but the only 1/2 day rain of our entire holiday, but we found the exterior of the cathedral covered in scaffolding due to maintenance work, but this also applied to the interior which was also covered in scaffolding and cloth protected area.

I understand that maintenance is necessary to maintain magnificent buildings such as this, I just wish it had not been on the one day I happened to be there as it's unlikely I will ever return to this country.

Write a ReviewReviews (10,992)
All reviews
in 305 reviews
"worship"
in 223 reviews

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Beautiful cathedral that I have walked past numerous times. Incredible architecture and very calming.

Highly reccomended.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been here several times and the best time to go is during the Christmas season. The Creche is simply amazing. On this trip we took our 8 year old granddaughter, and unfortunately since the Cathedral is undergoing renovation, inside and out. you were not able to appreciate the beauty and splendor of it.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My parents and I went in late August and it was under renovation.
I would have given 5stars but alot of the beautiful artwork and stain glass was hard too see with all the work going on. Still its a must see when in nyc.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an amazing site to visit. Pity there was construction occurring inside the building, but the spirit and essence of the cathedral was well captured. The design of the building is very nice and reflects the expert craftmanship of the builders. Despite the large masses of people, the flow of human traffic was quite organised.