Review of Braai

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th and 9th Avenues
Transit: C & E trains to 50th Street and 8th Avenue.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were very excited to try Braai for dinner. We discovered it by accident when we walked past it and recognized the name, as a result of a recent trip to Cape Town, as the South African word for cookout. The menu posted outside promised an exotic array of dishes. So we made our reservation and even showed up a little early. The decor can best be described as spartan. We figured they saved that investment for the kitchen. It should have been interpreted instead as the first sign. The waiter, who spent more time pushing wine, got our appetizer order wrong. Perhaps he could invest in a pen instead of using his memory. I ordered the biltong and was served a chunk of Brie ... Not very South African. Then we went with the ostrich special he had raved about. Talk about blah. The tastiest part of the meal was the roasted potatoes under the ostrich fillets. I was too bored to attempt the dessert I had been eyeing... Why invest even more in such an unspectacular meal. We left after having sunk $130 in a $70 experience.

1  Thank Akafay

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I don't recommend to try this place. It's extremely expensive for what it offers. Food is acceptable but not for 90$ and it's is not a traditional south African at all.

1  Thank Ale M
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We came here on Easter Sunday for brunch and greatly enjoyed it. Fortunately I ignored the prominent, pretentious bad review elsewhere on this site. No, I guess the management aren't really from South Africa but the food is different from the usual ( in a good way) and the service is prompt and friendly. This Sunday the clientele mostly looked to be twenty- somethings and by the time we were finished the place was pretty full. Prices seemed about right for what was on offer, too.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Thursday the 21st

I called up and said 'Kan ek n tafel vir twee he vanaand sewe uur' which is very basic afrikaans for 'Can I have a table for two at 7 o clock tonight'. The person who answered the phone was not South African and ddint know what I was saying but I thought it would just be fun to book in afrikaans.

On arrival I met a friend sitting at the bar with a cocktail to a restaurant with only one other couple in it, it was 7pm and I think dinner time for New Yorkers is later so was not worried. My first impression was a cold feeling as the gallery of images on the website are of a traditional and painted interior of which nothing is left. The walls were painted white and the bar detail was gone. Not even a reflection of its former self.

Anyway shortly after been sat down a gentlemen who did not introduce himself asked my friend if she could pay for her cocktail now as it was a special happy hour she was supposed to pay whilst sitting at the bar barely two metres away. I thought this was strange as it could have been added to the final bill but she didn't mind so I didnt make a fuss. My friend mentioned whilst waiting the manager there was saying in Spanish he needs to 'answer this call to get his girlfriend off his back'. They didn't know she spoke Spanish. Not good restaurant conversation.

The host was nice in sitting us down and there was a gentlemen server who I assumed was our waitor but was not sure as the host was also serving drinks as well as the manager.

I was excited to order and we both checked out the menu beforehand as we are vegetarians (i know but I was so excited so had to go anyway) and when we got there the menu was nothing like online, not particulary a bad thing but they could have mentioned the menu is seasonal online if that was the case.
I ordered the fish and 'slap' chips and my friend tried the 'slap' chips and a side of Avo salad (which originally contained lobster which she asked them to remove)

I enjoyed the fish. Not particularly South African tasting but good. The calamari was dry and the chips were not at all South African in any way and calling them 'slap' was misnaming them.
My friend did not finish hers and they brought her meal 15 minutes before mine and so her food was cold as she waited for mine to arrive.
Her cocktail was so strong and when she asked them to make it sweeter they tried but failed as it was still too strong.

We decided to give one more thing on the menu and ordered the 'koeksisters'
which are like deep fried plated doughnuts coated in sweet cold maple syrup.
What we got was plated bread with a ball of ice cream on top. Very disappointing.
anyway neither myself or my friend came close to finishing the food and we just asked for the bill.

We got the bill which was quite expensive and I thought it was cheeky of them adding on a 18% tip for service which we hardly received but at that point I would not really go back but was good to see what the place was like.

My friend had a query about the fact that the avo salad was not cheaper as it did not contain Lobster. The host said she would ask and came back saying 'that is the price' smiled and walked away.
The Manager came over standing over us as if to intimidate us in some way and said 'I hear there is a problem with the bill' and my friend started to explain.
and then that's where it all went really bad...

Raul was his name as it was listed on the bill which i took a photo of.
I actually recorded the conversation and cannot believe what he said to me when I listen back.
He asked me not to speak for my friend, when I said I will speak for her if I pleased, he asked me why do we complain now about the food after we ate the food if it was horrible to which we replied if you were customer focused you would notice we sent almost all the plates back to the kitchen untouched.
He said that the price of the lobster was the same as without it as they add a little more avo. Not a very good answer as everyone knows fish and avos arent the same price.

He said 'why are you shaking are you nervous' which had no relevance at all as I was definitely not scared of this creep. I told him the food was not south african at all and he replied by saying 'IF YOU DONT LIKE THE FOOD HERE, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT FINE DINING IS' thats when I snapped.

I referenced his suit and he started to try and undress in the middle of the restaurant which was disgusting. He then snatched the bill off the table and said 'GET OUT OF MY RESTAURANT'

A mexican cooked my fish, Raul was Spanish and so was the hostess and waitor.
I assumed the restaurant was bought out and this is what it has turned into.
After i left my friend left her scarf and had to go back in to get it and heard Raul shouting 'She is british, she is putting on a fake accent' and 'they are so rude'

I was happy to leave as I it was not a good experience at all.
There is apparently a good south african restaurant called Madiba which is cheaper and better food!

3  Thank Summer V
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to with my two teanage kids ( who love good food). We waited 5 minutes to be seated whislt one of the waiters nonchalently propped up the bar ..after we sat down the same waiter pointed to his colleague and said that she would be our server. She was covering all the tables and after another 15 minutes, came up with the menus. The food was not unaccepable but our wine of choice was not availbale and the substitute not very good. The decor and general ambience is not Sout African ( I know i was brought up there). A largely disappointing experience..

2  Thank RC1961