“Great food, great service”
Review of Braai

Braai
Ranked #4,168 of 13,743 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: African
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th and 9th Avenues
Transit: C & E trains to 50th Street and 8th Avenue.
Toronto, Canada
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I had a great dinner when we dropped in late at Braai, having come across the restaurant purely by close proximity to our hotel.

The food was fantastic. I had the beef ribs; cooked to perfection, slid right off the bone, and you could taste the chocolate rooibos, which was impressive. My sister had an ostritch special, which was not something either of us had tried before but was equally delicious. The desserts, soaked pear and mango mousse, were wonderful and expertly made.

We were primarily served by the manager who was delightful, enthusiastic, and prompt. We were not kept waiting or too frequently bothered by either our waiter or the manager. The atmosphere of the restaurant is fairly simple: dark wooden tables with proper candles, white-painted brick walls, comfortable lighting, and this lends to an unpretentious air and relaxing environment.

I can't speak to how authentically South African the food was, and the music played ranged from electronic dance music to 80's disco so no, that wasn't South African either (not that we cared), but the food was amazing, the service was warm and friendly, and the price fit the quality of the food. If you're looking for excellent food with unique flavors in a charming setting, Braai is definitely worth trying.

nyc
“food as pretty good. tusker (kenyan) was nice & cold :)”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

... despite some of the reviews (i've just read) that the place is not really that authentically south african, i thought the food was pretty good (i had the red snapper. my wife had the boboti). atmosphere was fine, though a bit noisy. service was ok...

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank burnsinny
Redding, California
“This place is awful”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The service was a joke. The manager kept coming to my friend and I like some drunken prom date. He refused to split our check, we had 9 people in our party so we suspect he just wanted the extra tip that is mandatory for parties over 6. The food was ok but nothing spectacular. He refused to see if he had a particular vintage of wine, he just wanted to serve me the 'house wine'. It also wasn't authentic South African food and the pictures on their website don't match the real restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
“Mediocre with identity crisis”
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Food is okay. Service is lousy.
This is not a South African restaurant. None of the staff on duty were south african and they really didn't no much about the product. Music wasn't south african.
Concept is good, but execution is confused. Either you are a south african resaurant or not - you can't be half there. Service was really poor. Two of the wines i asked for were not available. Also, Boschendal Chardonay not available because it was't cold.
I don't think oxtail with spicey/chili flavour works.
I would give it a skip - many better options in NY.

Ontario
“A unique little gem in New York for South African food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stumbled upon this cute little place as we walked the streets of NYC. Something about the "unlimited mimosas" for brunch caught our eye.
The menu has lots of SA favourites and I opted for the octopus to start (amazing as others have mentioned!) and the rock lobster and avocado salad for my main course (it too was amazing!) My husband had the breakfast with eggs and boereswors sausage and enjoyed it too. The mimosas were a $12 purchase, but had free refills for brunch. I found them a little sweet for my liking and at times, our glasses sat empty a little longer than I would have liked (although better for facilitating the large amounts of walking we did), but all in all they were good value and a nice addition to our brunch.
The staff was very friendly and typically fairly attentive. It was a beautiful day in NYC (20C and sunny) and we really enjoyed our spot outside watching people walk by.
A great spot to while away a few hours for sure.

• Visited October 2012