“I was pretty impressed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 467 Hotels in New York City
SC
“I was pretty impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

Ok so, having stayed all over New York one of the things I noticed right away was that this is more of a smaller, boutique type hotel - feels like you're walking into a luxury, modern apartment building. I have stayed in the other Hiltons in NYC and they have a lot more people running around everywhere. I really liked the feeling I got when I walked in. The staff was personable and very friendly. I don't know where the one reviewer is from from who said the staff was rude but for me and my hubby we found that they bent over backwards for us and all the girls at the front desk were really nice. The rooms are very cool. Hardwood flooring, king beds in every room, coffee maker with Wolfgang Puck coffee, and mini fridge to keep wine and food (we went out and got out own at the wine store on 7th ave between 54-55th st). The rooms are so much bigger than a typical NYC hotel room - I mean, you dont walk in and feel like you're in a suite but IF you ARE truly familiar with how small NYC rooms can be (like the rooms at the W hotel) - you will feel that these are really a nice size. The location is really a gem. 2 blocks from ventral park south where all the horse and carriages line up, 1 block from 5th ave Bergdorfs... on the same block as Carnige hall and the Russian tea room. and Broadway theaters are a 10 minute stroll up the street. One note is that there are 2 elevators in the hotel and at peak times during the morning or evening when a lot of people are coming and going there can be a bit of a wait for them. we learned to be patient but it wasnt a bother compared to hte Hilton New York on 6th. what a nightmare - 12 elevators and you get all confused because certain ones only go to certain floors. they even put of muffins and lemonade in the lobby for you to nibble on as you arrive. It's neat to have stayed in a "brand hotel" that had a signature style and really felt welcoming - like you are a resident not a number. One thing I was surprised to learn is that people can actually own weeks of time there every year. like a timeshare but different and its a deed you get that passes on to the kids. I cant afford to own it but if I could I think i couldnt see why I wouldnt. I mean, it's NYC right? Also this place was immaculately clean. Everything was BRAND new. we paid 425.00/per night plus tax and although the price was higher than the deals I could have gotten at a cheaper, less nice hotel, I would pay this again because it was worth it to feel pampered and in an "experience" type property. I felt like a new yorker, a local..and that was priceless. Life is too short! oh the spa was NICE! got a 1 hr massage and a pedicure. my feet were so soft.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarolinaSweetiepie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

The room is very clean and new. The location's good. I was hooked up by the fact that the building was new but I truly regret staying there. Staffs are rude, incompetent and don't afraid to lie to avoid issues. It's best avoiding contacts with staffs if possible. If you find a problem with the room that they cannot diagnose nor solve, and they are lying that it's you and all other guests are fine with it, don't assume that they are sincerely thinking so. Just keep asking to fix it. I gave a benefit of doubt and had to unnecessarily suffer. You'll find out that it's not you and there really is a problem. I've never seen high level mangers not willing to take responsibility and trying to blame lower level staffs like in this property. The only explanation I can think of is that this one is technically not a hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jessphi
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

The studio room we had was beautiful and huge for New York. The staff were all incredibly nice. The location was fantastic, just two blocks from Central Park and literally steps from the subway. This property was a short walk to great restaurants, 5th Avenue and even Broadway and Times Square. The staff kept hot cider in the lobby which was nice on the coldest weekend of the season. The property had free wireless internet with great connectivity speed. In short, in some respects, it goes beyond good to great.

On the other hand, we had, at best, luke warm water for the shower. When we got back to the room after enduring some of NYC's coldest, we wanted a hot shower. The following morning, we had no hot water at all. At night, the "heater" blew cool air all night long directed at the bed. When I complained, I got a "I'm so sorry" from the friendly yet clueless desk clerk and nothing was done. The concierge staff, while very friendly, were also not accurate with directions and subway transfers. The "business center" consisted of just two computers with only one of those hooked up to a printer.

The property is new and probably ironing out some kinks. It is a high end timeshare instead of a hotel so perhaps when we declined to purchase, attending to our complaints wasn't a priority. While I recommend the place on location alone, there are some issues that need addressed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grhokie
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

Arrived on parade day, never driven in NYC, was greeted at the door and left the keys with the bell guys -perfect. Check in was good, our room was ready and we were taken there-very efficient Had no problem with the front of house guys..
Had booked this through the HGVC exchange-again no problems here.Room was great-we had a 1 bedroom unit - kids very very impressed. Not as big as Orlando or the likes, no kitchen area but if we needed anything we could go the lounge and pick up coffee etc The room was very contemporary, some of the detailing was a bit messy but overall a great room. Comfortable beds, fab bathroom, large shower, wooden floors, computer desk - UK elec sockets (nice touch). We were at the front of the hotel so was a bit noisy - but thats what you come to NYC for. Had a terrace which was amazing.

The location is great, agree that the signage of the hotel could be better - very narrow frontage and you could easily miss it. The sales centre a couple of doors up is easier to find.!! Actually stopped in there first.

The main problem with this place is the Owners Lounge - very busy at breakfast and at the managers reception time and way too few chairs etc.

Beverage manager, Julie was top. She pointed us in the direction of good restaurants and could organise food if you needed it. Could use a good bar / dining area in house.

We stayed here 5 nights and had an early flight in the morning so got our car organised through the hotel. Too early - the trip did not take a 1/2hr. But hey.

Overall I would stay here again, we swapped our HGVC points so if I look at it from a financial point of view it was a bargain.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
long island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

This is a new building in a great location. Close to subways and nice restaurants/ shopping. The staff is great. We purchased a membership and so far have stayed in two types of rooms. A studio with a beautiful balcony and a suite w a separate living room. The bathrooms are "trendy" and at first we thought it was going to be a little too sexy but they're beautiful and after a while we fell in love with the design.We recently upgraded our membership after staying a few times & next visit we'll be staying in the Penthouse! We come here four times a year for conferences & through our membership when we need additional rooms we get a reduced rate in the same building making it easy for my own staff & company to conduct business.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

We are HGVC owners and bought a 3 night package at a favorable price. The catch was, we had to do a "review" of our ownership - basically a timeshare sales pitch. We didn't mind the sales pitch but didn't buy.

We arrived on a busy NY December day with horrendous traffic in midtown. The NY police had a lot of the intersections closed and it was difficult to get there. The signage outside the building is very low key so it is hard to find the building, so look out for it!

We entered the lobby and there were three reception attendants at their desks. Could any of them even look up and ask to help us? No! Hello, hello, we're here to check in! Can you please help us??? Finally a very uninspired man took time from his busy task of doing nothing and agreed to help us. No welcome, no hello, no "have a good stay," no "is there anything I/we can do for you. NOTHING! I am sorry to have disturbed you from your important, exalted position to help peons like my wife and I, but you certainly didn't make HGVC owners seem "home" or welcome. You do get paid to do this job, don't you??At least he agreed to help us, the other two ladies "working" their stations couldn't even bother to look up to help us either. Maybe it's just the New York attitude, but you ain't selling expensive timeshares with these people as your first line of offense.

Once checked in we were helped to our room by a wonderful man who brought our bags up and parked our car. He offered to bring additional pillows or towels and asked if there was anything else he could do. He was the complete opposite of the front desk staff.

The room was new, clean and modern. Very nicely furnished. The shower was perplexing to say the least. My wife and I probably fit the HGVC "profile" to a tee and the design of this feature is not for this target group, or anybody to say the least. I won't go into detail as others have described it. I work in the design profession and have a degree in a related architectural field so I get the concept. But this is architecture gone bad, especially for HGVC. The long and short of it is, the moveable screen doesn't completely cover the shower or the bathroom area. You can also view into the bathroom area from the hallway/front door area. The bottom line is this, people want their privacy and this doesn't do it! You can also get a total view into the bathroom via the large gaps which afford a full view of the mirror AND THE ENTIRE BATHROOM. I don't want to see my wife (or anyone else) sitting on the toilet doing their business, nor do I want them to see me, this needs to be fixed!

Onto the good stuff, the room was nice, bright, clean and quiet. The houskeeping staff was friendly and did a good job. The location was wonderful and was within walking distance of many attractions. We walked to Times Square, Rock Center, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, up to the Guggenheim and through Central Park. It was close to subway stops and a quick ride downtown.

All in all, a nice room with a problem that needs to be fixed in a great location. The front desk staff needs to be removed or re-retrained. Loose the attitudes people.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Howard M
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

Like several others have noted, this hotel is new, in a PERFECT location and has beautiful, spacious rooms. The property is very nice and the staff were helpful, friendly and welcoming. The location is right in the heart of Manhattan at 57th & 6th, with everything you need at your doorstep. The F train stops around the corner, Carnegie Hall is on the same block and hundreds of restaurants, bars,shops, theatres and Central Park are within a several block radius.

Similar to the problems other reviewers have noted, I have been experiencing a MAJOR hassle getting my Hilton Honors points. I booked the triple promotion rate for two rooms. Not only was I given credit for only one of the two rooms, but the triple points were not credited to my account. Even more annoying, the rate went up by $70 for the last two nights of the stay, but the hotel based my points off the first night's lower rate. Hilton Diamond desk did not have a record of the Triple Honors points rate in their computer, even though it's clearly marked on my folio and confirmation email. I'm now having to open a claim and fax my receipt to Hilton Honors investigators. What a hassle. It seems like this is some sort of scam the hotel is running to not give full points. For a difference of more than 80,000 points, you can bet I'm willing to work a bit for them.

For non-point collectors - this hotel is a dream.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business