“Amazing staff”

West 57th Street by Hilton Club
Ranked #51 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 7, 2014

West 57th in NYC has fantastic accomodations which are complimented by the wonderful staff at this resort. Its worth the travel and cost for such a wonderful time in NYC. From our bedroom window we could see the Empire State Building! It made lifetime memories for us. We will return back soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for West 57th Street by Hilton Club

Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you like shopping and proximity to the sites this is the place for you.. Outside on the Square but close enough, and the Park is just a block away, and of course the shopping is as well!!!! NOTE: Bad time to remodel the Gym though, It's the New Year! Not that I needed it energize me.. smile. Nice Hotel..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is a Hilton timeshare property we were invited to try at a reduced price in exchange for attending a sales presentation. It is not a traditional hotel in that the lobby is very small, with limited seating and no bar or restaurant, it feels more like a condo building, which we liked. Since our room was not ready, we stored our bags and walked the 1.5 blocks to Carnegie Deli for a late lunch. Upon our return, we were given a studio plus room on the 17th floor with a courtyard view (back of the hotel). The room had nice wood floors, king bed, desk and two chairs, a nice bathroom with a large shower, no tub. It was clean and very quiet. In fact, the entire property was very quiet which we enjoyed. All the staff were friendly, cheerful and ready to help. The doorman is a really nice guy. The location is great for spending time in midtown, 2 blocks from Central Park, walking distance to Time Square, Rockefeller Center and 5th Av. The Russian Tea Room is in the same block as is a nice grocery if you want a snack and don't have access to the hotel's owners lounge. The subway is a 3 minute walk.

The sales presentation took the entire 2 hours. There was some pressure, but not enough to leave us sorry we had attended.

Room Tip: Our room on a high floor facing courtyard was very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Can't beat the location!!! Service was slow and jaded. Response times to concerns very poor. Concierge on two separate nights unwilling to help plan out an evening, kept referring me to a website that wasn't assisting me. The room was very dusty with dust bunnies on the desk and nightstands. The floors had scuff marks all over them and the room smelled like old mop water. The air system is noisy and disruptive. Internet is slow, slow, slow. Breakfast and evening reception foods were poor quality and offered no variation from day to day.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at West 57th Street by Hilton Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us. Please allow me to personally extend my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced with our property. I have stressed the importance of ensuring that all guest requests are taken care of with great precision to prevent such repeat occurrences and guest dissatisfaction. This is certainly not indicative of the service levels that we pride ourselves on. Kindly contact me personally at ldelsole@hgvc.com as I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and regain your confidence in us. I look forward to hearing from you and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Sincerely yours,
Laurie del Sole

Reviewed January 5, 2014

After sinking two hours into it, I noticed I wrote a review that might read like it was a staff job. Yet it is not, I am just a regular guest. /Bert
----

A few years ago, I got cold-called with an offer for "fractional ownership" (read: timeshare) in this property. My wife and I attended the sales pitch and we signed on the dotted line. Fast forward a few years:

The good: 1) All of the staff (minus the sales sharks) is first class. Always friendly, always helpful, always reliable. The GM, Lauri, is hands on and must be one of the few shining management stars in the hospitality industry. Her management values and style clearly show through her staff behavior. I never really met her personally, but heard her speak at the annual owners' meeting and since then, when I interact with staff as a guest, it surprises me every time that they really go about their business the way the GM said they would. Staff turnover also seems low, because the doormen, reception staff, and owners' lounge seem not to change over the years. Great!
2) The property is spotless. Clean, stylish for my taste. I like the modernistic and slightly minimalist lines. Think slightly Scandinavian in choice of materials (wood) and colors. Non-bombastic. In my book: perfect, but perhaps not for everyone.
3) The owners' lounge is great. Again, very good staff, pretty good breakfast, and the afternoon socials are a great idea.
4) The experience is consistent. I've stayed here countless times and I always get what I expect.
5) Location: what can I say... Two blocks from Central Park, same block as Carnegie Hall, ten minutes from Times Square, and literally a few minutes from the MET, the Museum of Natural History, MoMA by cab. But also one minute to Subway lines N, Q, R and F. For me, this is exactly THE location in New York to be at.
6) The rooms are large and quiet. I've stayed on many floors, in Studios, one bedrooms, one-bedrooms-plus. Sometimes facing the street, sometimes facing the courtyard. Right now I am on the 5th floor facing W57th, which is as noisy as they come. For me this is totally ok; Quiet enough for sleeping, yet some of the NYC buzz seeps through to make you feel part of the city. The rooms higher up, such as 24th floor, are almost totally quiet. But the building is still in the heart of New York City, not on a potato field in Idaho. The few people who I hear complain about the noise are not having their expectations right. The same goes for the size: these rooms are not small by any means by NYC standards. The studios are, say (I'm obviously guessing), 3-400 square feet. The ones with a bedroom 7-800 perhaps? Not the biggest in the city maybe, but more than adequate if you have any common sense.
7) The bathrooms are great: the one-bedroom-plus units also have a bath tub with a great view over the city. But even the regular bathrooms, such as in the studio I am now in, now look great and work well.

The GOOD-or-BAD-depending-on-your-point-of-view:
1) It's not a hotel. Meaning: it doesn't look like a hotel, doesn't feel like a hotel. The lobby is clean, uncluttered and serene, and it does not feel like stepping into Penn Station (compared to the Hilton on 6th ave for example). There is no on-site bar. No on-site restaurant. No shelf with flyers for "$5-off-Sea-World". No Room Service. No vending machines. No Pool. And the gym is under the axe now too. It is more like stepping into a co-op building with really good staff. For us, that is exactly how we want it. Within a few hundred feet there are plenty of good dining options, why would you bother with an overpriced and substandard hotel restaurant food? There are millions of hotels outside of NY where you can have that kind of experience for one fifth of the price. Here, they would reduce the value of the experience rather than add to it.
2) It really is not a hotel: there is only weekly housekeeping, and if you stay for less than 3 days there is the $85 housekeeping fee. Staff are calling every couple days or so to ask if you want to have towels replaced or trash removed. They can do daily housekeeping for a fee if that's something what you want, but for me it is just right the way it is.

The BAD:
1) the AC units could be quieter.
2) It is expensive. It is very expensive. Hotel and real estate prices in NYC are what they are but at $55k for the entry level (i.e. studio) you probably will never break even. Maintenance is $1300 something annually for the studio, almost double that for the one bedroom. You get 5, 6, 7 or so days out of it each year - depending on the season. But considering the upfront investment, your hotel room budget for the next 20 years could be, say, $600 a night, and you will have no trouble finding a decent place to stay - even in NYC.
3) Sales tactics: the current generation sales people seem OK, and we've been considering buying another block. But the original sellers, the ones we did sign the deal with, left us with a very bitter memory. They did a very hard sell, were obfuscating facts and cost, misrepresented availability and seasonal variation, strongly implied share values would soon skyrocket with decreased availability, insinuated high liquidity in case we would change our minds later. Timeshares are practically never an investment and de facto loose value from day one. But that is OK. If you know what you are buying, you spend the money for the experience. You most certainly do not invest into a liquid asset, nor do you really invest in real estate in NYC.

So, bottom line: if you know New York and what it can do for you, if you understand what the city and the location is worth to you, if you expect more of a homecoming effect rather than a family or business hotel come-and-go experience, if you like the style of the rooms, and you prefer to get to know the neighborhood a little; THEN you need to consider if you can live with sinking north of $50k upfront into it and writing it off, and committing to $1300+ (and rising) annually for maintenance for the entry level. When all those boxes are checked, you will love this place.

For my family and myself, New York has become more or less equivalent with W57. We've used all the points, borrowed points, bought stays with cash from HGVC, and even bought some more inventory from the open market as "hotel guests". We've noticed we plan our family calendar around availability at W57. I plan business trips around availability at W57. Yet, about half of my stays in NY are in a hotel elsewhere because of availability, and every time the conclusion is clear: this is the only place where I really want to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Bert_from_Hki
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Really really fantastic and conbinient hoetl in NY city. As a member of HHonor, I'm proud of the member of this. But quite difficult to reseave because of we are not exactly NY 57th owner. so that we couldn't reserve this hotel until 45 days before. if this system would be changed as another resort hotels, we are sure visit here several times of each one year . Also, if this hotel has special tour event for owners , we love to use it with proud.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We purchased our HGV timeshare at West 57th a little over two years ago and have not regretted it for a moment. We have stayed about a half dozen times, and each trip is just as wonderful as the first visit that sold us on the place. The location can't be beat, the rooms are modern, well appointed, quiet and super clean. The entire staff is wonderfully attentive and really go out of their way to make sure you have a great experience. The morning breakfast and evening happy hour in the owners lounge is a real treat. We are very much looking forward our return trip next month!

Room Tip: Courtyard view rooms have a little less street noise, but overall the rooms are surprisingly quiet g...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple