“Very nice. Great location”

West 57th Street by Hilton Club
Ranked #54 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at West 57th as part of Hilton Club's effort to get us to purchase ownership. Although we didn't buy in, it wasn't because we didn't like the place. It's very nice and the location is wonderful. We stayed in a studio which had a refrigerator and honor bar, tv, wifi, etc. The room was comfortable and nicely but simply decorated - somewhat European. I liked the laminate flooring rather than carpeting.

As others have mentioned, there is definitely a lack of privacy in the bathroom. I don't understand why there's a sliding door to the bathroom rather than a regular door. There's no way to lock the door and it didn't close completely. The translucent glass between the shower and the bedroom area also gives one very little privacy. There's a sliding screen on the bedroom side, but that doesn't completely cover the glass.

The rate we were charged was definitely a bargain for this area of the city - probably about half of what they usually would charge - which I wouldn't pay. But if I were a Hilton Club owner, I would definitely stay here. We were within walking distance to the theater district and several good places to eat. Carnegie Hall is on the same block and Central Park is one block over.

The staff was excellent. The bed was VERY comfortable. The heat and a/c worked well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meterman1966
Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Modern decor in the room. Bar fridge. Wished it had a microwave. Sliding door on bathroom and trasnlucent shower wall facing the bedroom made privacy a concern. No restaurant or tuck shop in the lobby but there is a very good food market next door. Very convenient location for shopping the high end stores, Broadway, Carnegie Hall and Central Park. We would definitely stay there again. It was a good value based on use of HGVC points plus the $85 cleaning fee. Very friendly staff with attention to building security starting in the evenings.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Lovely staff, attentive customer service all across the board. Amazing memory from the staff makes us always feel welcome as they so happily welcome you back...how do they do that with so many people coming in and out? But we feel like they care for us as they would for their own family. We love the location, the rooms and the breakfast and cocktail hour perks. Fabulous food and surroundings all across the board. We love this property!!

Room Tip: all the rooms are elegant and beautiful
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We've been HGVC members for almost 10 years and got the call to come to NYC for several days at a reduced rate. How could we refuse. Anyway, we tried checking in early. No go and had us wait 30 minutes past the check-in time. But they comp'ed us and gave us access to an "Owner's Lounge" for breakfast the 3 mornings we were there. that's all good and much appreciated. We got to the room, a 1 bedroom suite. Very nice but unfortunately only on the 3rd floor. But either way, that's OK. I understand as it's NYC. As we first walked in, my son opened the mini-bar and noticed a half full can of juice and a can of eaten chocolate chip cookies. I called the front desk so they could take note and not charge me. That was the first issue. Another issues was Interestingly, the second and third evenings we left the room at the same time to go out for dinner and go to plays. When we went downstairs, I requested for the doorman to get my family and I a cab. Both nights, the same doorman told us it was a BAD time, a shift change, etc...very odd. We just walked up the street and hailed our own cabs. But, I have issue with this. A doorman giving excuses in New York city to "not hail a cab????" that's totally absurd and unsat in my book. It's not like I don't carry a stack of $5's in my pocket in the city and give them out like sticks of chewing gum for people to help us out.

Remember the juice and cookies I talked about earlier...they showed up on my bill when I checked out. They were happy to remove the items, but again, the last thing I feel like doing is "nickle and diming" staff when that stuff shouldn't have shown up in the first place.

Anyway, it's a nice place. Kind of a Contemporary Oriental flair with glass walls, sliding glass doors, etc.

Room Tip: Don't be on a budget
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bostons_Silent_Guest
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at West 57th Street by Hilton Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, my apologies that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. It was unfortunate that your room was not ready for you at check in time, we hope that you enjoyed the services of the Owners Lounge during your stay to compensate for this inconvenience.

We have addressed our housekeeping department to ensure that they are taking proper care and attention when replenishing the mini bars. Further we have spoken with our door team regarding providing more assistance in getting taxis for our guests; please rest assured that this issue will not happen again.

If you would like to discuss your experience with me further, please see below for my contact information.

Laurie Del Sole
ldelsole@hgvc.com

Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days in February. Quiet area close to Central Park and Carnegie Hall. We enjoyed Attentive service. The Spa and extras are only Available to timeshare owners. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We arrived just after dark, and went straight to reception. Not hard to do, a very small foyer with an even smaller sitting area for vacationer members to have a snack.
The room was very good, but do not open the bathroom window curtain naked. It is clear glass.
The Hotel was in a very good position, regarding the park, and Times square was about 6 blocks away.
We would stay there again, but only if the price was reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The fact that we do not like the Danish Modern style aside, this stay was very very disappointing. Any thoughts that we may have had of ever purchasing at this location went right out the window.
We are owners at the Hilton NYC Club at 54 St & 6th Ave. Due to our set need to travel on this weekend and with no availability at our home club we were directed to the West 57th St. Residence location. We should have just booked at the hotel.
First I sorta understand the $69.00 "Registration Fee" as I'm sure by the staffs demeanor your attempting to keep this as an exclusive location, but to then charge an additional $85.00 "Resort Fee" was just unimagineable. On top of that the "Resort Fee" entitled us to use NONE OF THE RESORTS FACILITIES. When questioned at check-out I was told it was for housekeeping remaking the room after a stay of less than 4 nights (we stayed 3 nights). Oh by the way it DID NOT include housekeeping of any kind for us !!!
Now lets get to the room....we were given a room on the 4th Floor of a 25 floor building; the desk person assured us it was a very quiet private room overlooking the courtyard (instead of the streetview which he po-pooed). Private it was as I believe that we were the ONLY guests staying on the floor; quiet it was not, as it was directly adjacent to the service elevator where on morning #1 we found out that the staff gathered, talked, assigned, argued loudly etc. at the 8 AM start of their day. Even after complaining about it it was only moderately less the remaining mornings. Also the sheets, towels etc. must have been the dumping ground for the old because the bedsheets were ripped, towels were frayed. At this point we did not want to ruin our visit so we just shut-up and went with it.
Listen if these elitist snobs want a private country club residence in NYC all to themselves so be it I don't care, but when you put people in here, charge them some madeup fees and treat them like they don't belong that crosses a line, where I really need to re-evaluate my opinion of Hilton and whether or not I want to fufill my obligations to a company that condones this type of behavior.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jeff L
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at West 57th Street by Hilton Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our property did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available. To your point we will further evaluate how we can better communicate the fees at West 57th street to other HGVC owners. In addition, we will address our team on the importance of keeping their work areas as quite as possible.
Again, I highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. Please feel free to contact me directly in the coming days to make our best attempt in regaining your confidence in our property. I hope to serve you again in the future.

Laurie Del Sole