“I have a timeshare here an I love it.”

West 57th Street by Hilton Club
Ranked #54 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We own 2 weeks here, even though we live within a 50 miles from NYC.
Using it usually on the short weekend - theatre visits, or for family members coming out of town.
With this ownership I am able to use any other HGVC i can use any other HGVC properties. It gives me feeling of exclusivity. Also I love the owners Lounge with drinks and snacks.
Hotel stuff already know our family and treat us very nice. Love the hospitality, convenient location, and everything. Not to mention this is Hilton!!!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at the West 57th as part of a 2 night package deal. I was impressed with the hotel. The room was large by NYC standards. It was very clean and smelled good to. The bed I shared with my lover was ohh so comfortable. I had instant deja vu upon entering the room with the Chicago's Hotel Palomar. That is a pretty nice comparison in terms of the room look and quality.

The location is good, an easy stroll to Central park, 5th Ave or Times Square. Best of all, the Subway is 100 feet from the front door of the hotel with nice convenience store right in between. I found the staff helpful and charming. They rolled oout the red carpet and it was appreciated.

The only downer is West 57th Street which is terribly busy and clogged with rush hour traffic. My lover had the misfortune going westbound on 57th and with the hotel on the opposite side of the street there is no place to turn around. It is a challenge with the one way street patterns in the neighborhood that thwart the best drivers. She did a 180 in the middle of 57th. The doorman would be wise to hand out business cards with the directions to the hotel parking as "no standing" is allowed during rush hour. This can make for a nightmare in starting your stay here and tick you off.

This hotel overall is a hit and we can't wait to return again. Next time, we come eastbound on 57th and arrive before afternoon rush hour

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We visited The Hilton on West 57th Street in the middle of December. Getting there was moderately easy – Amtrak to get into Manhattan, then we rode the subway from Penn Station to the vicinity of the hotel. I would recommend taking a taxi from Penn Station to the hotel, especially if you are pulling luggage. That being said, if you plan your route from Penn Station to either the uptown F or N/Q/R (West 57th stations), you will be inside of a block from the hotel. You can either navigate via transfer stations or go out to the street at Penn Station and go two blocks east to the B/D/F/M & N/Q/R station at West 34th and Avenue of the Americas. The downtown F and N/Q/R were the stations on West 57th that we used the majority of the time. If you google ‘New York subway planner’, there is a useful app for planning your subway travel. I found myself using this more often – there are good iPhone apps for NYC subway travel, but internet service in the city was not always reliable. By the time we left, I had gotten comfortable looking at the subway map in the station, finding where I was and seeing where I wanted to go.

CHECK-IN

Check-in at the Hilton wasn’t until 4 pm – we arrived there around 1-1:30 pm. They took our phone number down in case the room was going to be ready earlier, but we weren’t allowed to get into the room any earlier than 4 pm. We walked west on W. 57th (left out of the hotel) and found an Irish sports bar, which was rather loud for my taste after being on the train for 3 hours. I would recommend stowing your luggage at the hotel in the lobby, and walking to Central Park. If you travel to NYC during the holidays, there is a holiday bazaar at Columbus Circle – look for the red and white tents. Credit cards are accepted and there is food available for purchase too. Additionally, there are dozens of food carts (cash only) with the typical food cart fare (gyros, pretzels, falafel, hot dogs, etc.) The ice skating rink is in that park of the park, too.

There isn’t much to the lobby at this Hilton – the lobby reminds me of what an apartment building would be like – there are a few check-in desks, with signs that direct you to the correct desk (HHonors, HGVC members, etc.). There is a small sitting area and at times, there was hot chocolate made.

We were not hassled excessively by the HGVC staff - we have two vacation clubs that we own in, so I wasn't interested in another one - it was briefly mentioned that they were about to sell out and that was it.

HOTEL ROOM

Our room faced W. 57th street, but all that we had a view of, from the 7th floor was the street. The street noise wasn’t unbearable, but sirens and horny taxi drivers were some of the street noise that made it to our room. The room had a king bed with enough room for a chair. The window was the width of the room, maybe 10-12 feet. We had Wi-Fi included with our room. Coffee maker, blow dryer, refrigerator, mini-bar, one suitcase stand, alarm clock with stereo input, very minimal drawer (were there drawers under the bed??) and closet space. Walk-in closet only – no bath tub. One lavatory. One thing that I noticed was that the water in the lavatory would get hot rather quickly, but in the shower, even after running the water for a few minutes, the water was only warm. Kohler showerhead, as well as handheld shower head – not adjustable for height. I’ve mentioned this before – I feel that hotels distinguish themselves when they offer higher quality showerheads. This showerhead obviously was installed with water conservation and short showers in mind.

Our stay at the Hilton was also part of an exchange via our membership with Intrawest Vacation Club, who supposedly has a partnership with the Hilton-brand vacation club. The only black mark that I can attest to on this vacation is that we had to request fresh towels and toiletries, trash pickup, etc….even toilet paper had to be requested. It was explained to us in such a way that I believe that conditions were as such because our stay was an exchange. Other reviews have mentioned that there is no daily housekeeping. Personally, I felt like we were treated differently because we weren’t HGVC members. Our level of membership with Intrawest is still rather expensive – it would seem that Intrawest and HGVC could have negotiated better terms of service. If not for this detail, I would give this hotel a 5/5 rating. The location couldn’t be better, situated between Central Park and Times Square.

AMENITIES

Small fitness room located on the 2nd floor overlooking the street. There were treadmills, stationary bikes, and Nordic-style ski machines. Treadmill included a TV, but it was not hooked up to anything, so bring your iPod. A rack of free weights and a cable machine. Poland Spring water was free in the fitness room, and was also replaced in the room by request or automatically, I suppose. There is a members’ lounge across from the fitness room, but we didn’t have access to it. I thought that I heard clinking of dishes behind that door, and the hotel doesn’t have a restaurant on site, so breakfast may have been offered to HGVC members. The Redeye Grill is the restaurant, down the street, that covers room service for the hotel, at a 20% gratuity. We were also given a card and list of restaurants that honored a 15% discount.

This hotel is all about location – I’ve only stayed at two other hotels in New York City, so I don’t have a very large basis of comparison, but some part of me wondered if the price you pay for a hotel in Manhattan is just largely based on where it is located, with secondary emphasis placed on services and amenities that the hotel offers. The one thing that I would have liked to do was scope out the other property on 42nd Street, for future reference.

Some of the other things n the area included the Russian Tea Room, Brooklyn Diner and Rue 57 for dining. We only ate at Rue 57. We made reservations at the Russian Tea Room, but we ended up not going. On our departure day, we arrived at the Brooklyn Diner around 10:30 am for breakfast, but the wait was an hour long. They take reservations starting at 7 am, so if you want to eat there, I recommend making a reservation (via Open Table).

Within reasonable walking distance: Radio City Music Hall, Museum of Modern Art, Central Park, shopping on 5th Ave., Rockefeller Center.

I would consider staying here again, but only after I have had a chance to see what the other HGVC property is like and/or experience other timeshare properties via RCI or Interval International.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank reefcomber
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at West 57th Street by Hilton Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review West 57th Street by Hilton Club. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at ldelsole@hgvc.com.

Best regards,
Laurie Del Sole

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at the West 57th Street by Hilton after agreeing to listen to a sales pitch for a time share at that location. Although the time share was not right for us, we enjoyed a very comfortable stay. The hotel is very conveniently located close to Columbus Circle on the West Side. There are several subway stops within a few easy blocks. The room had a modern decor, with bamboo-looking floors and a bathroom that seemed inspired by an asian spa. The only strange part of the design was that one shower wall was an opaque glass that also served as the wall next to the bed, so that if someone turned on the light in the bathroom, it also lit up the bedroom. Not good in the middle of the night.

The property does not have a restaurant or bar on the premises, so if you like a nightcap in your hotel, you would be out of luck.

As for the sales pitch, the person was very persuasive but not overly pushy. When we said finally that it was not for us, he sent over another salesperson who offered us a pared-down time share package, but when we still said no, they were very polite and didn't push us any further.

We were very pleased when the concierge was able to get us tickets to an exhibit that was sold out online and closing that weekend, at no cost to us.

For the discounted price we paid for the room, we feel we received a very good value in exchange for 90 minutes of our time. Definitely recommend this hotel if you have the chance to stay there.

1  Thank Juliet K
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This spring we went on a road trip and stayed at two different Hilton locations and were offered a discounted stay with a timeshare presentation. My husband and I chose New York as our destination and when we booked we were told that the newest property on w57 was booked up so we were put into a different property. My husband started researching the time share option and the rooms, etc and soon called in to find that the room we would be staying in was just a standard king, so he upgraded us to a one bedroom suite on a higher floor, he told the lady he was speaking to that when we travelled to NYC that we usually stayed at The Trump and asked if it was comparable to which she replied yes. We got a call back stating that there was an opening at the w57 property so we made the change. We also tried to extend our stay for two more days but they had no openings so we booked at The Trump Soho.
So where do I begin...
At a glance, the location is good, the staff were professional and the one bedroom suite was spacious.
On the flip side the lady that assured my husband that our stay would be comparable to that of The Trump has obviously never stayed there.
Our upgrade was on the 5th floor ( I'm glad we moved up haha) with a view fit for closed curtains, if they would have stayed. For the claim of a newer property, it seemed very dated, the wallpaper was peeling at the seems near the ceiling, the badly installed peel and stick flooring was scuffed and looked filthy and dull, the lighting was dim and sparse and if you could locate the switches that was great. I believe they forgot to add power outlets when they built the place. In the search for one to plug in my phone I pulled out the night stand, which was filthy all around the floor to discover the handyworks of a carpenter that needs a new profession. The melamine headboard was cut out for one plug and the other one was still half covered and unusable. So the search continued to the other side of the bed which didn't have an outlet at all. So I got to choose the bathroom or the living room.
There was no wet bar which I got around as there were water bottles by the coffee maker, although it would have been nice to have a light in that area.
When I was getting into bed I noticed random dark fuzz that led me to a more in depth inspection to make sure the sheets didn't have any uninvited guests, thankfully there were none.
Access to the closets was great once you learned the carpenters dyslexic ways and I only learned of the drawers in the bed once we left. I thought it odd that there was only closets for clothes.
Did I mention that the cabinets matched the wallpaper? That was just a personal dislike.
There was a fantastic amount of space in this suite, now they just need an architect for the next upgrade that understands how to put that space to good use.
The furniture and carpet looked like it came out of a thrift store. It was dated and stained.
The bathroom was alright and spacious enough but when I had a bath it was a short one with the annoying sound of the water draining out of the closed drain. I opted for the shower the next evening to discover that they really need a maintenance crew. The caulking at the base of the glass had lifted and there was black mold.
There was a wrapped toothpick outside the elevator by our room for the duration of the stay.
So now for the presentation.
When we discussed our concerns of this particular hotel and why we had given it such a low rating, our rep brushed it off as the location alone makes it worth it and you never have to stay there again, there are other options. He said as long as people were paying to stay, why would they change it. We got a quick click of other properties and after discussing how we travel he tried to intrigue the investment side of us. So if we buy into the system, if at any time we decide to sell they get first chance at buy back for what you paid, no interest no inflation and when they resell it is at fair market value. We offered him the same deal with our company but he wasn't interested. If I am going to buy into a program like this it will have to suit the way I travel perfectly. From an investment standpoint if I am not making a return on my dollar you are not getting it.
So for the same amount of money that I would spend on the one bedroom suite at The Hilton, I will be staying at The Trump in a one bedroom suite overlooking Central Park and enjoying my truffles.
Our Hilton's Honor card has met the shredder we defintely will not be back.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank madkay81
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at West 57th Street by Hilton Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate our hotel. We would appreciate the opportunity to converse about your comments further so we can go over the concerns you have experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at ldelsole@hgvc.com.
Laurie Del Sole

Reviewed December 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week in November and had the best time! The hotel just reopened after Hurricane Sandy and we were a little worried, but everything was perfect. The room had classy contemporary decor and was in pristine condition. No kitchenette but we didn't miss it. No daily housekeeping but you can easily call for supplies and trash removal. The location was unbeateable, as other reviews have indicated, next door to Carnegie Hall and walkable to Central Park, Broadway, Time Square, MOMA. The gym was nicer then expected...no one was there the few times we went.

Most definitely, 100% chance of coming back!

1  Thank sueliu22
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was a Hilton Grand Vacation Club (HGVC) hotel, but it does NOT have some of the amenities you normally get at HGVCs like a kitchenette, washer/dryer, full size refrigerator, swimming pools, etc. It is smaller than the HGVC we stayed at in FL or Vegas, but this is NYC and space is at a premium. The hotel is centrally located to Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Broadway, museums, subway, etc. We stayed in a King Studio on the 18th floor, which was a nice size for two people with an equally nice size bathroom with a rainfall shower head and adjustable sprayer, a magnifying mirror and a full length mirrow, which is really nice. My only complaint is I don't care for their shower products, at least the hair conditioner. I have to use almost the whole bottle every time I wash my hair and it still feels like it needs more conditioner. Oh, and when I turned off the hair dryer and went to turn it back on it would take 30 seconds to a minute before it would actually turn back on regardless of what I set it for. We were by the elevators, which concerned me since I've had bad experiences with noise during the night in the past, but we didn't hear the elevator at all. It was great! We didn't have the best view, but that was fine since we were only there for 2 nights. We weren't in our room that much while we were there so it was fine. There are two small refrigerators in the room, one fully stocked. We didn't touch the stocked one, if you accidentally shift items around you would be charged for them so we didn't bother. The AC worked very well and we actually had to turn the temperature up a couple of degrees. Due to the shape of the room, it stayed cool and where 68 degrees at home is comfortable we were actually chilly here. The last hotel I stayed at was hot so I can live with turning the temperature up a couple of degrees. The bed was really comfortable, lots of pillows. They had two spa type robes we could use (and purchase for $75 if you like), which I loved, but didn't buy. Customer service is great, the front desk personnel gave us a card for 15% off discounts at local restaurants, which was very helpful. We bought tickets to The Empire State Building through the concierge and got recommendations for dinner, which the restaurants were really good. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street or courtyard on higher levels so you don't hear noise. I don...