“The best restaurant of our trip!”
Review of Apiary - CLOSED

Apiary
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: 11th Street
Transit: The 6 train to Astor Place and the 4, 5 or 6 to 14th St. The R train to 8th St and the N or R to 14th St. The L train to 3rd Ave.
Madison, WI
“The best restaurant of our trip!”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Apiary has a small menu but I imagine everything on it is done well. For a pre-show dinner we tried the Prix Fixe menus and were not disappointed. My wife's salad was simple but she loved it. My soup was delicious. She had a duck leg and I had roasted chicken. We both thought ours was better than each others'. I usually don't like the skin on chicken, but this was incredible! Our desserts were perfect - not to much and a a complete treat to the pallette. We split both right down the middle - a vanilla custard with berry syrup, and some sort of cake.
Our waiter was friendly and fun to speak with - not snooty as I so often find with a restaurant this good.

• Visited March 2012

New York, NY
“We Will Be Back”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We went to Apiary pre theater, so we were a bit rushed which is too bad because the staff at Apiary does not rush diners through a meal. The food is very fresh and tasty. We had the hamachi appetizer (which is so generous you can easily share) and for dinner I had the salmon which was excellent and my husband had the cod which he said was great. The food is all perfectly seasoned. Nothing is overdone - just right.

• Visited March 2012
Gonzales, LA
“Best meal of the trip”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Went with my wife one Friday night in February. Showed up without a reservation and were seated immediately. The service was great and our window view was perfect. Wife and I split the sweatbreads and it was succulent. I then had the pan roasted fluke with celery root purée, mushrooms, and wine sauce. I could have licked the bowl clean. Wife was a bit less impressed with the chicken but was pleased. Overall I have this place marked for a return visit in July.

• Visited February 2012
Woodbridge, New Jersey
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

While Apiary is very loud -- expect this, relax and you'll be fine -- the food is exceptional, and the wine list is carefully chosen and accessible. We were thrilled with the food (braised rabbit with pappardelle for my husband, duck confit with turnips for me) and can't wait to go back! Good for groups (make a reservation). The bar looked pretty laid-back and comfortable, a little more relaxed than the restaurant, which was full of conversation and very lively. The service was excellent.

• Visited January 2012
New York, NY
“Excellent Food and Polished Service”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Very nice place with polished service. Food was terrific - we had bean soup, romaine salad (which wasn't romaine but red leaf) duck breast with cabbage and peppercorns and swordfish with salsa and pesto. Dessert was a very nice apple tarte tatin with ice cream, although it was not exactly a tarte tatin. Tea comes with a variety of honeys and espresso.
was excellent.We will be back.
I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews about service. We were there quite early, but the place was packed by the time we left, so we weren't simply the beneficiaries of a light night. We will try it again, and re-review if things seem very different.

• Visited December 2011