“Most comfortable bed ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lotte New York Palace

Lotte New York Palace
Ranked #98 of 478 Hotels in New York City
A TripAdvisor Member
“Most comfortable bed ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

I have been to many countries and hotels, by far this was the best hotel I have stayed in. The bed was very comfortable and I had the best sleep ever. The room was very clean and the furniture was of top quality. The best thing was their bed and pillows, the most comfortable bed I have slept in. New York was an interesting experience as it was my first. But I would not want to live there as its too congested with tall buildings . Overall I enjoyed myself thoroughly

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I am thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and provided you with a wonderful stay. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

All the best,
David Chase

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Recently modernised, rooms are well appointed, and very large, along with good public areas, and a number of ammenities. Staff were v friendly and helpful, and the location in the heart of Midtown is perfect. The only criticism I have is that Wifi in the room is not included, and I feel this should be standard.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Ashley M
Dear Ashley M,

Thank you for your amazing review and for your sincere feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

All the best,
David Chase
Parkland, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I was looking forward to saying at a "renovated" hotel. My first impression was not so great. We waited 25 minutes to check in. We were told the rooms would be ready by 3pm. We stored our luggage and went about our day. We returned at 3pm and waited another 15 minutes in a line to be told that the room was not ready. We sat around waiting and 3:15, my husband got back in ANOTHER long line which gave them enough time to "release" the room from housekeeping. By 3:35 we were in our room. Now for the room. Impressive, pretty big for a NYC hotel. Updated? maybe if you consider a white comforter and granite in a bath room. It looked like the rooms were 10 years old, stains on the carpet and scuffed up walls. We had 2 queen beds. One pillow on each bed. Okay so they have one extra one in a closet, but you first have to get over the the smell of plastic then there you go, you have an extra pillow. Me, no so much! We had 2 adults and 2 kids, but really? why would there be one pillow on each bed?? So, we call down for more pillows. I asked the lady for 2 more pillows because the one in the closet smells like plastic. She repeated, "3 more pillows?" I reply, "no ma'am, just 2." Exactly ONE HOUR later, we ave ONE more pillow. Okay so a few minutes later, another pillow arrives. Okay great, now we can take a nap, get up and shower, but there goes all the towels. On to bed- slept fine, bed was comfortable. Wake up, want to take a shower, but now we have no towels. My bad. I should have called the night before knowing their "speedy delivery." I call down for towels. Good thing I didn't get in the shower because I would have been with no towel for 30 minutes. Luckily the housekeeping cart was just a few doors down. Being everyone loves to raid the cart, I helped myself to some towels and said "thanks" to the camera!

Oh I forgot to mention, major attitude from first lady when we checked in...that was just a bonus.

Should you stay there? hmm..if you are super patient and don't mind poor service, then the location is great and the rooms are big. That's about all.

Room Tip: we stayed near an elevator and we never heard it.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank RobinL33076
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Stayed for one week at New York Palace. Helpful staff. Room was very spacious and excellent facilities and housekeeping. Partners birthday recognized by hotel with good personal touch.
Very comfortable bed and great views of cathedral. Nice location and no noise in rooms from road or other guests. Will stay again and would recommend.

Room Tip: 2618 a good room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The New York Palace wants to be more than it is. As a large-ish, business class hotel in a big city, its above average. As a luxurious oasis, which seems to be what it is striving for, it falls short.

The hotel itself went through major renovations. The public spaces are nice but smaller than I expected. We did encounter some lines at check in, but they moved quickly. The lounges and restaurants did not seem to be well utilized--likely overpriced. On the other hand, the Michael Richard bakery/cafe was not terribly overpriced and was a neat spot with some good stuff.

Staff was a very, very mixed bag. On initial check in, I found the clerk to be unfriendly, brusque and even slightly rude. On a subsequent visit, I encountered a much friendlier employee who was also a manager. A third visit was closer to the first. On the other hand, the bell team is a real standout. Unlike some other NYC hotels, this is an in-house operation, and the bellman managed to be helpful and ever-present without it seeming like they were trolling for tips as it often the case in these kinds of hotels. They were also friendly and efficient.

The room itself was also a mixed bag. I booked an upgraded room with a view, and our room was on a high floor and did indeed have a nice view of Rockefeller Center and the Cathedral. However, it seemed like the renovation was half done. Carpets, beds, tv and furniture are new. Toilets, HVAC and the electronic device the controls the lights are not new and in fact are quite dated. When we first came to our room, we noticed a very loud "clacking" sounds coming from the HVAC unit. We also had a problem issue (toilet would not stop running). I was told that moving to another room would mean losing the view, so I asked maintenance to come. The technician was polite and efficient, but he had to take apart the HVAC unit and install a replacement motor. He discovered that the fan itself had cracked and the broken piece was causing the noise. He did it as fast as possible, but he was still in our room for quite some time when we had planned on trying to rest. A plumber also eventually came out and was able to fix the toilet issue. The HVAC repair did work, but we lost a good hour and a half of what was supposed to be rest time during these repairs. I wasn't necessarily looking for anything in return, but it was never acknowledged at all by anyone. If this was the kind of hotel it is striving to be, it would have been, and someone would have followed up to see if the repairs actually worked. It wasn't our fault things weren't working in the room, and the repairs happened on my time.

Be aware also that there is some significant wind noise and flexing of the structure when the sun is on it. A little bit bothersome as well.

That said, rooms were quite large for New York. It was also quiet and seemingly well insulated--did not hear a lot of noise from other rooms. This hotel, as others have said, is also very well located in a lovely part of midtown. It is an easy walk to Central Park, to shopping, to Times Square and the subway.

Final thought--I feel like the iconic courtyard side could be better utilized. Its sort of just open seating, with random people having out--some hotel guests, some not. They should do something with it--put an outside coffee bar, spruce it up a little. It is a really nice space.

We received a very good rate--on par with the national chain hotels in the area. My bottom line--I wouldn't pay extra to stay here or go out of my way, but I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Cathedral--half do.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank IADTraveler
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

This hotel worked perfectly for us. We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers and the 2 interconnecting rooms that were booked were just perfect. We had so much space with a king bed in our room and 2 queen beds in the kids room, plus seating area and amazing views.
The hotel location is just fantastic - 1 min from 5th Ave, 5-10 mins walk from Times Square, 5 -10 mins from Central Park - it was just great!
Lovely staff, really helpful. Only experienced the cocktail bar in the hotel but it was great.
Also and so importantly when staying in Manhattan - we didn't hear a single thing from our room - it was so quiet!
We would stay nowhere else when we return to NYC.
Thanks to everyone for a fantastic welcome and an amazing New York stay!

Room Tip: Rooms higher are quieter and with amazing views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
1 Thank Lucy W
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Central, high quality rooms, good food, excellent service, sound proof rooms, executive lounge very good and worth the extra. Price a little on the high side but OK if you have only a few nights to spend as we had for a short break and special treat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family