“great, but......”

Ranked #74 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“great, but......”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We love the Palace, especially booking through our new Platinum Amex card which included a free upgrade (none were available when we stayed there- busy week), spa certificate and, especially the 2 complimentary excellent breakfasts. However, the owners need to wake-up and realize that anyone travelling on business requires the internet and charging for it is a major deterrent to staying at the hotel. Free internet is the world we live in today so please, be fully competitive and we will return.

Room Tip: a view of the church
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Have stayed here a few times and am always happy to stay at a 5-star hotel for a 4-star price, especially in NYC. Is it busy and a little crazy in the lobby, yes. Are a few of the staff members gruff, yes to that too; however, the rooms are huge, clean and comfortable. Love the location and the breakfast, a perk received through Virtuoso, was delicious! Saw Chef Michel Richard in the restaurant which made it just a bit more exciting!

Room Tip: Higher and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Jeannine1101,

Thank you for your great review and I am thrilled that you had a wonderful stay. I hope to welcome you back to The Palace in the future.

All the best,
David Chase
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had an overnight flight from Vegas and arrived at the hotel at 7 am, we were greeted by a lovely receptionist named Sandy who informed us that our room would probably be ready at 11 am and that they will call us as soon as it is.
My husband and I left our bags and headed out for breakfast and a walk, but since it was freezing, we went back to the hotel at around 9 am.We sat at the lobby and at around 10, my phone battery was about to die, so I went to the reception to notify them.
The front desk was very busy at the time as there were a lot of people checking in, I was unlucky enough to be met by a very unpleasant receptionist who was extremely rude, unwelcoming and clearly unwilling to help or at least smile. I notified her that we were waiting for our room to get ready and that my phone's battery is dying,thus we might not be able to get the call, so it would be appreciated for them to notify us at the lobby if they weren't able to reach us. She said that "they don't offer this service" and that I should come back and check at 1 pm. I told her that we were told that the room would be ready at 11, but she just nodded and said "that's not possible sweety" in a very belittling tone . She never asked for our name to even check the status of our room!
As I was sitting in the lobby, I noticed more than 1 family from those who were checking in( while I was at the front desk) going up to their rooms with their bags, at this point my phone was still on and I hadn't received any calls. I went back to the front desk and was met by a different receptionist who notified me that the room was ready when I insisted he checks on the computer. I went back to the lobby to call my husband and we walked back to the front desk where, unfortunately, we were met by the unbelievably rude receptionist I had encountered before. As soon as she saw us, without us even saying anything, she puffed and said "your room is not yet available". My husband said that we had just asked and were told that in fact our room is ready. It felt that she was extremely annoyed at the fact that we were finally going up to our room. Not once did she smile or act welcoming or pleased!

We went up to our room, had a nap, woke up at 6 pm and called housekeeping to come tidy our room. However, when we were back at 10, the room was still as it was. My husband then called housekeeping again stating that we asked for someone to clean our room and the response was shocking "haven't you just checked in today? Why do you need your room to be cleaned?".
At 1030 pm no one had showed up, so he called again. This time they said that they will look for someone because everyone leaves at 1030 pm. At 1045 a lady came up and tidied the room, she apologized for not having clean sheets as "they ran out of them". Not what you expect from one of the most prestigious hotels in NYC!

For the next 3 days we avoided anything to do with the service, but on our last day, while we were asleep, someone unlocked our door and walked in. When my husband ran to see who that was, the person had left.

At this point, we were enraged and decided to speak to the manager. We called her and explained everything fully.She was very attentive to all our complaints, apologized profusely and deducted 200$ from our bill.

After we checked out, we left our bags at the bell desk as our flight was at 9 pm, the room was full so they sent our bags to the 8th floor. We returned back to the hotel at 3 pm to put some shopping we did to one of our bags, the bellman took us to the 8th floor and when we found our bags, he left us in the room with over 50+ guest bags. We found it very weird that they could just leave people around all of these unattended bags!I honestly didn't feel entirely safe leaving our bags there,I only felt a bit assured as they had locks on them!

Even though my husband is considering going back because of how the manager dealt with our complaints, I am extremely put off and will not be returning there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hebaaboueleid
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a first class experience. Top to bottom not a detail left to chance at this hotel. The location is magnificent and the lobby lounge/bar/restaurant are enjoyable.

Room Tip: The rooms are very comfortable and decorated elegantly
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear gregdaniel17,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I hope to welcome you back for another great stay.

All the best,
David Chase
washington, dc
Reviewed May 11, 2014

A friend and I traveled with our daughters and stayed for two nights. My friend booked a room with two double beds. The room was very spacious and we had a view of St. Patrick's cathedral which is currently under construction. The beds were very comfortable with a feather top mattress and the fluffiest down pillows. The hotel is around the corner from Saks and very close to the main shops of 5th avenue. I would estimate a 10-15 minute walk to Bendels, Bergdorfs, etc. The weather wasn't fabulous the whole time so we weren't able to take advantage of the outdoor terrace which is lovely. There is a Michel Richard bakery in the hotel which was nice for a quick, delicious bite before hitting the town. Rooms were quiet and bathroom was nicely appointed. Molton Brown products. Hotel staff was very friendly. We were all very pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of St. Patricks
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I wanted a special experience for my 40th birthday, so I booked a trip to NY. I wanted to pamper myself and stay in a fancy hotel. New York Palace exceeded my expectations. I got a room on the 31st floor with an amazing view and shortly after I got situated in a room, I received a room delivery with an amazing box of handmade chocolate and a birthday card! I was truly touched! They really did everything to make me feel special! Next morning we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant; OMG: French toast filled with Creme Brulee with apricot sauce!! Out of this world! Expensive, but for a special occasion, very worth. Highly recommend this hotel! Very luxurious and great location!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed May 10, 2014

To be fair, this place isn't cheap, so I'd expect it to be nothing short of amazing. Luckily, it does not disappoint. Rooms are beautiful and have a grand old school feel. The location is great for business or pleasure - close enough to walk to Central Park/5th Ave/Times Square, far enough from the noise to have a good night's sleep. Staff is very accommodating. Bathroom is amazing, great lighting for getting ready. The bed is SO comfortable. I've stayed in this hotel at least 15 times, mostly for business but 2 or 3 times for long weekend stays. Never one issue with service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the cathedral.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business