“Good place in NYC for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 31

Hotel 31
Ranked #227 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Good place in NYC for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting NYC. It was one of the least expensive accommodations I could find. I stayed in a single room with a shared bath. The location was safe and centrally located. Penn Station, the East Village, Times Square, many museums, all within 10-20 minutes. Lots of places to eat nearby. Located close to subways & bus lines if you didn't want to walk. My room was small but efficiently laid out. I had a small sink, nice toiletries, good double bed. Everything was spotlessly clean. Each floor has a mix of private rooms (with their own bathrooms) plus 4 rooms that share 2 bathrooms. The shared baths on my floor were also spotless and I never had to wait to use them. The lobby is small, the front desk was pleasant and there is a charming old elevator to take you upstairs. I was also able to check my bag on departure day until the evening when I ready to leave. For the price in such an expensive city, I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank SFBayou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed here in Mid July 2014 We left our holiday planning very late and were unable to find any decent hotels and at fair price but we were able to book a room here for four nights. The room is very basic and small and also outdated. The shared bathroom was clean but requires modernising as the shower is very old looking and functioning. On the first night there was alot of noise from outside and was unable to sleep this is because the window does not have a good fit when closed. The aircon is noisy and the bed was not comfortable. I would recommend paying extra for a better hotel as I would not stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kashew888
St. Catharines, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

The hotel room itself was very nice, small but has everything you need. It is perfect for 2 people, it has 2 mirrors which is great when getting ready in the morning. The people who work at the front desk were beyond rude and not helpful at all. If you asked them for anything (such as directions) they just acted like you were disturbing them. They only care about getting their money and thats it.There was also a cockroach in the bathroom

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

5 Thank Christine G
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

First the not so good: be careful of the phrase "Double bed/s" in the description. Most of the rooms have only one bed. I emailed the hotel immediately after making the reservation to make it clear that I needed 2 beds as I was traveling with my grown daughter and received no reply. When we arrived the staff were evasive and claimed that they hadn't seen my email and that their email address (hotel31@verizon.net) went through Budgetplaces.com who probably did not forward it. They also said a room with 2 beds would cost and extra $25/night AND that we may have to leave the room the next day. Also, the magnetic room keys would only work once: whenever we came back to the hotel, we had to get them reprogrammed at the front desk.
Now the not so bad: the hotel was a pleasant boutique hotel, nicely decorated, with a delightful little period elevator with retracting gate and door on each floor. The reception area was rather small. The location was good but NOISY with lots of trucks driving by at all hours, sounding horns, etc. What with that and the window unit a/c, we needed ear plugs to be able to sleep.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank dettifoss
Sterling, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

So this place has a shared bathroom down the hall. I knew that beforehand and as it was only one night, I was fine with this. The room was clean, furnishings were of decent quality, and the building itself had a classic look - not dingy, but well-maintained. Good value for money for this area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank bit_jaundiced
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed four nights at this old but charming hotel. Front desk staff were very accommodating and changed our reservation without any fuss when we needed to add two days. Some rooms are pretty small to be sure, but we lucked out with ours -- a respectable size with two double beds and a full bathroom. AC worked very well (you really need this in August!) wifi was excellent. There's no fridge and not much closet or drawer space but what we had was adequate. Hallways and common areas were very clean, lots of ice in the ice machine etc. I peeked into the shared bathrooms and found them spotlessly clean. Housekeeping had our room made up promptly each day. If one had noisy neighbours I suspect things could get loud but we lucked out again -- you hardly knew anybody was around. The tiny elevator was right out of Agatha Christie but once we adjusted to its eccentricities it became part of the charm. Great location, with a corner store and a very good Italian restaurant at the end of the block. I'd also recommend the deli "Bread & Butter" a few blocks west on 31st for great selection of food to eat in your room to cut down on costs. Hotel 31 is about an hour in busy traffic to the airport but cabs usually have a standard rate to JKF airport.

Room Tip: Ask for 706 -- good size, private bathroom and you don't get the noise from outside
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank cantpickaname
Drogheda, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

Myself, my wife and 16 yr old son spent two nights in this hotel earlier this week. We had a room with two double beds and a bathroom. The hotel is old fashioned but is spotless clean. The lift is the old style, its small and slow. We were on the 7th floor. The hallways outside the room are also small and a little difficult to negotiate with two large suitcases. Aside from this minor issue the hotel is very good value for money if you are looking for some place to stay which is close to everything. There are a number of restaurants (reasonably priced) very close by. There is an Italian restaurant on the corner when you exit the hotel and turn right. We ate there one night and the food was very good. there is a BBQ restaurant across the street from the Italian. This is typical american fare and loads on the plate. It was good but a bit too much. The staff in the hotel were very helpful. The hotel is also close to the subway only a very short stroll to 33rd street subway on the number 6 line. If we were going to NY again we would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.
I did give the sleep quality a 3 rating as the air conditioning was noisy. This does not bother me as I would sleep through a hurricane however some people may find this a nuisance.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family